Dean Smith

Demitri_C

On 30/12/2018 at 11:49, hippo said:

you don't have to - he got both clubs mid table finishes. 

Putting aside that finishing midtable with those clubs is quite an achievement in itself, you also need to remember he was nicked by the next club when he had both clubs in the playoffs whilst widely appreciated as having the best footballing side in each division. Also had his best players poached by bigger clubs every year.

Your lack of faith in him is irrational, especially with some fantastic results so far without even having a chance to sign anyone yet.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, KMitch said:

I'm an American...  Pulisic isn't a Number 9 at all, he's a winger/inside forward that can play as a 10 if needed.  He is Chelsea's replacement for Hazard in the Summer.

I don't see Chelsea recalling Tammy this January, unless Giroud/Morata pick up a long term injury this month.  Pretty sure Tammy is loving playing for us right now and won't ask Chelsea to recall him to find a struggling Premier League side to play for.  The only way he'll go back is if he is going to get some game time for the Chelsea 1st team.

I think there some confusion , Pulisic is indeed a winger/inner forward ( widely refer as a False 9) wherelse Tammy is out & out striker (a Number 9). That why I am saying we will Tammy will be with us as Sarri prefer False 9 type rather than number 9.  

On the another note , Pulisic is an exciting prospect. Hope DS can unearth some False 9 type players for us , as to survive if we go up , we need to play more of the False 9 style. 

HAPPY NEW YEAR to all Villa Fans !

28 minutes ago, Digavilla said:

I think there some confusion , Pulisic is indeed a winger/inner forward ( widely refer as a False 9) wherelse Tammy is out & out striker (a Number 9). That why I am saying we will Tammy will be with us as Sarri prefer False 9 type rather than number 9.  

On the another note , Pulisic is an exciting prospect. Hope DS can unearth some False 9 type players for us , as to survive if we go up , we need to play more of the False 9 style. 

HAPPY NEW YEAR to all Villa Fans !

Two completely different types of players & roles.  Wikipedia does a great job explaining the difference - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forward_(association_football)

Inside Forward - Usually two play "In the Hole" behind a more advanced central striker (a traditional number 9).  "The inside forwards would support the centre-forward, running and making space in the opposition defence, and, as the passing game developed, supporting him or her with passes. The role is broadly analogous to the "hole" or second striker position in the modern game, although here there were two such players, known as inside right and inside left."

image.png.27680acef19bba0141ec9b7732e96e13.png

False 9 - Messi was the one who popularized this for a bit at Barcelona.  His job is to sit "In the Hole" without a central striker ahead of him and to drop back and draw CBs out of position for the inside forwards to exploit the new space created by his movement. "The false 9, in some ways similar to a more advanced attacking midfielder/playmaker role, is an unconventional lone striker or centre-forward, who drops deep into midfield. The purpose of this is that it creates a problem for opposing centre-backs who can either follow the false 9, leaving space behind them for onrushing midfielders, forwards or wingers to exploit, or leaving the false 9 to have time and space to dribble or pick out a pass."

False 9s are rarely deployed now, since teams figured out how to counter the formation.  They'll purposefully have the CBs ignore the F9 all together and assign 1-2 Defensive Midfielders to mark the False 9 out of the game and prevent the ball from being passed to him to start the attacks.  

image.png.807ba4eed748cd7745b5403520c54ef8.png

Anyway, I get what you're trying to say.  CP is a great prospect and can possibly be the superstar player the USA needs to finally embrace football once and for all.

4 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

People can’t kid themselves about the strength of our squad when we have players like Hutton starting every game.

Grealish, mcginn and Tammy are the only players we have I'd be sad to lose. The rest are a rabble. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Some people will be starting to give Smith stick I’m sure but I said earlier this week people seriously over rate our squad and I stand by it. 

Out squad just isn’t as good as some people seem to think, there are so so many issues with it.

I think this season is a right off, play offs are looking increasingly unlikely.

Smith needs to rebuild the majority of the squad and that’s not happening in January.

People can’t kid themselves about the strength of our squad when we have players like Hutton starting every game.

Said it time and time again, but we’re set up to Keegan games. Loads of attack, none of the defensive bit.

All of our defence is just “OK”, none of them are great at all. Meanwhile, Abraham, Grealish, McGinn, Bolasie and possibly El Ghazi all look class at this level in particular. 

2 minutes ago, dudevillaisnice said:

Disappointing today. Yes our squad isn’t great but we should have enough to beat QPR at home in my opinion. Want to see big improvement this month in recruitment and hopefully results will follow. We look far off from a playoff team. No where near. 

Qpr are above us in the table in fairness

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

No one taking into account the team being knackered after the recent games. Most teams above us drew or lost today, these are the teams giving it there all every game, proof is with Leeds how they play, high intensity, couldn't do it today.

• Like 2

QPR players wanted it more ( same as Leeds did at VP) ... agaisnt Forest even at 2-0 we looked calm and didn’t change the game plan ... today it was too much hoof and hope which is pointless with our front line, i hope these incoming defenders will see us getting the ball back under control again

Kodjia , Bolaise , Adomah need replacing , might be a good time to see what his plan B is when this front 3 isn’t working 

3 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Stop playing someone who doesn"t block, tackle or intercept at defensive midfield. It's **** basic and we learnt this a month ago against Forest.

The most important attribute needed in this system is for the DM to be a great passer of the ball, which is why he keeps trying to play Hourihane there.  He's not good enough, I'm afraid, which is why we're going after a new DM this month.  

• Like 1

Â