Dean Smith

Demitri_C

5 hours ago, Villan4Life said:

Saying to my mate at game earlier (not including loans or Kalinic) the only two players currently that should keep in Premiership if we get there is McGinn and Grealish the rest are nowhere good enough to be top half team in that league!

Perfect, like I said complete fire sale..

Edited by Dave-R

5 hours ago, Villan4Life said:

Saying to my mate at game earlier (not including loans or Kalinic) the only two players currently that should keep in Premiership if we get there is McGinn and Grealish the rest are nowhere good enough to be top half team in that league!

One small thing, unless we are hoping to go and play in Scotland we won't be playing in the Premiership its not been called that for more than 10 years now.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

El Ghazi fits the system better, we keep the ball better with him in the side, he's better defensively and more consistent - I think that one makes some sense as a selection. 

What Kodjia brings is unpredictability and the chance of him doing something on his own - he'd have been perfect off the bench today - that one confuses me a little and I wonder if he was 100%.

Are we creating systems ? or creating a team that can score goals against an injury ravaged Preston. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

It seems to me people are focussed on what kodjia can do rather than what he has been doing when he has played.

Did you miss the bit where he came on against Stoke, scored and won a penalty to get us back in the game? He also set up Hourihane's goal against Leeds with a lovely piece of skill.

He was bizarrely subbed early in that game and for some reason has only played two minutes since.

• Like 3

If DS can convince & convert Kodjia into a false nine , similar to Liv’s Mane he can be a great player. He has technical ability but is mindset is too selfish to pass/ creat chances for teammates. I watched lots of premiership games all these false nine will try to beat their men , drawn defenders / creat space in order pass to teammates in better open position.The only thing on Kodgia mind is beat his men & shoot. Even the last assist when he lay off for Hourihane is out of circumstances is due he almost loss the ball ..

• Like 3

3 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

It seems to me people are focussed on what kodjia can do rather than what he has been doing when he has played.

As opposed to what El Ghazi can do rather than what he has been doing?

23 minutes ago, Digavilla said:

If DS can convince & convert Kodjia into a false nine , similar to Liv’s Mane he can be a great player. He has technical ability but is mindset is too selfish to pass/ creat chances for teammates. I watched lots of premiership games all these false nine will try to beat their men , drawn defenders / creat space in order pass to teammates in better open position.The only thing on Kodgia mind is beat his men & shoot. Even the last assist when he lay off for Hourihane is out of circumstances is due he almost loss the ball ..

Re watch the leeds the game - He beat 4 players then passed to Hourihane for the 2nd goal.

34 minutes ago, KJT123 said:

Did you miss the bit where he came on against Stoke, scored and won a penalty to get us back in the game? He also set up Hourihane's goal against Leeds with a lovely piece of skill.

He was bizarrely subbed early in that game and for some reason has only played two minutes since.

And the guy who has replaced him in the team has produced next to nothing. Wouldn't be surprised is JK was sold to be honest.

I think it’s a shame that after 13 games in charge certain fans are judging the new manager to the extent of questioning substitutions or selections. 

Yes Kodija could have come on and changed the game. He also could have come on and watched the full back bomb past to him create the winner for Preston. El Ghazi could have managed to get one of those shots off and won the game for us. 

I’ve been critical of Smith in terms of not making us solid enough. I’m not making excuses for him based on the players he has at his disposal. It’s his just to get the best out lf them. 

But to hammer him for not bringing a player on that could just as much win us the game than lose it for us is just nitpicking in my opinion.  Unless it’s Bruce fans that are upset about him being sacked. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think it’s a shame that after 13 games in charge certain fans are judging the new manager to the extent of questioning substitutions or selections. 

Yes Kodija could have come on and changed the game. He also could have come on and watched the full back bomb past to him create the winner for Preston. El Ghazi could have managed to get one of those shots off and won the game for us. 

I’ve been critical of Smith in terms of not making us solid enough. I’m not making excuses for him based on the players he has at his disposal. It’s his just to get the best out lf them. 

But to hammer him for not bringing a player on that could just as much win us the game than lose it for us is just nitpicking in my opinion.  Unless it’s Bruce fans that are upset about him being sacked. 

If you want a bigger sample add his games as Walsall and Brentford manager.

5 minutes ago, New_Hope said:

On their budgets and set ups....that's quite an achievement wouldn't you agree?

Its not bad - its around average. What I don't get is why people based on that ? - have such confidence that he is the man to take us forward. 

2 minutes ago, hippo said:

Its not bad - its around average. What I don't get is why people based on that ? - have such confidence that he is the man to take us forward. 

What’s the alternative? Say he will fail from day one and the look for reasons to say I told you so after every game? How about a bit of faith in our new manager eh?

• Like 4

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

What’s the alternative? Say he will fail from day one and the look for reasons to say I told you so after every game? How about a bit of faith in our new manager eh?

Yes - I think he will fail here. you want me to say something else other than what I believe.  To be fair now he is here he needs a couple of windows to bring his own players in . But if you ask me honestly I think the defensive frailties that were present at Brentford will continue here - even when he does get his new recruits in. 

• Confused 1

28 minutes ago, hippo said:

What did Pochettino do at Southampton before Spurs?

I assume it must have been Champions League spots and title challenging otherwise it surely means he ain't good enough for Spurs? 

OR could it be that managers are selected at bigger clubs based on the potential/ceiling they have, with an expectation that they will eventually do a better job with a higher budget and better setup?

As well as themselves progressively getting better based on attributes the clubs identified.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 3

Â