Dean Smith

Demitri_C

6 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

My word. 

I can't believe what this fanbase has become. 

Thankfully the owners won't think like that. 

Luckily the owners don't lose their marbles if we don't win every single game.

Leeds are doing well...

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, hippo said:

A picture (Video) is a thousand words . I was 18 at the time - I thought we always be like this. Please watch this - we were so effin dominant that day ! 

Commentator......................"Relentless", summed us up.

Ironic How middlesbrough beat Ipswich to help us out.....but they defended stoutly against us despite the scoreline.

Peter Withe in the air was awesome.

Edited by TRO

25 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Try not to take that specific line too literally - I mean it's all part of the fun of following a football team.  You have high and lows.

I would genuinely not want to be a Man City fan.  Win everything or you've "failed" - woo, what fun.

Yeah, I get that, it is only after so many lows we can appreciate the highs. On that basis then I guess Toon deserve a little success 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Let's just keep Smith as manager for as long as possible unless it goes completely south (relegation).

There's something quite nice about having an honest manager, who happens to be a fan, managing our club in a modern football world where everything is "if we haven't improved, sack everyone".  Football isn't enjoyable because of winning - ****, we haven't won anything for over 2 decades.  It's enjoyable because of the rollercoaster ride of weekly results and being able to discuss where things went right/wrong without resorting to this **** nonsense blame culture that is now ingrained in the game.

Losing games that you "should win" is as much of the fun as winning games that you "should lose".

I'm not sure the owners would agree...and I am not sure the competitive nature of football works like that, certainly not for the top teams...the ones we are all striving to be.

It goes without saying, you can't win every game.....but the ones you win, are borne out of trying to win every game.

I can honestly say, I find no fun in losing.....and I would think most fans would agree.

I would think your last line is apt for " crazy Golf" or " TV obstacle courses " where its just one big laugh....sure football is entertainment, but we all want to win, I think the Wolves fans demonstated that, where they only got purchase on the game for 15 minutes.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I agree.

It's not even a Smith out or Smith in thing.

It's about fans lowering the standards. Driving the club forward comes from the top of the hierarchy but it also comes from the fans.

I disagree. It’s just constant negativity and it ends up in the stands and on to the players. It helps nobody. 

1 minute ago, PussEKatt said:

We both said something different.Smith had 2 choices,attack and score more goals than the opposition ( seems unlikely as we gave Wolves all the incentive they needed to go on and win the game.Or put more bodies in defence/midfield and go for a draw.What did he actually do ? left everything as it was.

Like for like changes and hope for the best.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I agree.

It's not even a Smith out or Smith in thing.

It's about fans lowering the standards. Driving the club forward comes from the top of the hierarchy but it also comes from the fans.

Thats exactly what I am trying to get across.If the fans are happy with midtable then that is probably what we will get.If,on the other hand the fans want more from the team/manager/club then they have to voice their dissapointment in how the season is going and demand change.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I disagree. It’s just constant negativity and it ends up in the stands and on to the players. It helps nobody. 

So,lets just accept lose one,win one,say nothing and hope we qualify for europe in the next 10 years 

Just now, PussEKatt said:

So,lets just accept lose one,win one,say nothing and hope we qualify for europe in the next 10 years 

Or let’s see if we continue to progress from last season before calling for changes and stop being so dramatic after 8 games in to the new season ?

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

It does appear that many are like that. I am not convinced that people really accept the poor performances and really feel the correct attitude is to simply move on and that it was just one of those things. Dean Smith to some is like a bear cub to its mother. If you look sideways at the bear cub then the Mother Bear will protect her baby and will lash out. It is near impossible to have an objective conversation on here without the Mammy bear cubs coming our in force to protect their baby. In time, when the cub grows up a bit more it will not be as cute and there may be more objective conversation

I think the last thing either side can truly claim is that they are being objective including myself in this thread.  Neither side think the other is being objective in this conversation.

4 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Or let’s see if we continue to progress from last season before calling for changes and stop being so dramatic after 8 games in to the new season ?

Ok,lets stop bieng dramatic.I mean why complain now when we can just as easily complain when we are about to play our 35th game.

Just for the record, here are the points for the last 6 games from us and  the teams just above relegation.

Aston Villa 6 points

Palace 6 points

Saints 5 points

Watford and Leeds 4 points

The 3 teams below Leeds are in the relegation zone....but no need to say anything yet,there 30 games to go.The thing is these teams have 30 games to go as well 

5 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

Ok,lets stop bieng dramatic.I mean why complain now when we can just as easily complain when we are about to play our 35th game.

Just for the record, here are the points for the last 6 games from us and  the teams just above relegation.

Aston Villa 6 points

Palace 6 points

Saints 5 points

The 3 teams below Leeds are in the relegation zone....but no need to say anything yet,there 30 games to go.The thing is these teams have 30 games to go as well 

Carry on complaining mate.  I’m happy to give it until around January until I join you.

10 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

Aston Villa 6 points

Palace 6 points

Saints 5 points

We got 7 points in the last 6 games

Leicester, West Ham and Brentford 8 points, Brighton and Spurs 9 points

Doesnt sound so bad in context does it considering the implosion against Wolves and poor display against Spurs.  So we've been bad, had injuries and intl issues but still in the mix.  

Is it good enough? No but we are still in the mix, starting to get players back and it’s good that we are still in the mix but we aren’t happy.

Nobody is happy with Wolves implosion and poor performance against Spurs but the win against Man U and Everton and performance against Chelsea shows the good side.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, PussEKatt said:

Someone on this thread thought that tirdness from playing international football might have led to Martinez not being his usual self and it was DS himself that said that the defence switched off and he has to something about that ( he said the same thing after the Spurs game ) All I am trying to say is that on this thread people are willing to accept losing because of "mitigating circumstances"as you say.I am sure the supporters of the top teams in europe/the world dont say "it does not matter that we lost on saturday because Bill had a headache"

As far as our pre-season goes,the way I see it (and I could be wrong but this is my view ) all our first team players are seasoned proffesionals and none of them are playing their very first game in the PL, so all they need to do for pre-season is run around the paddock so they can last 90 minutes.Match fitness comes from playing competitive games and as far as playing games go,how many games Less than Watford/Brentford did we play

can't speak for brentford but we played at least 2 fewer than watford, and it showed from the first minute. we had at least 2 friendlies cancelled i believe. 

i didn't see the martinez post, but the VAST majority on here do not think saturday was OK

some defeats/draws are acceptable/understandable though, where there are mitigating circumstances. the covid outbreak + injuries before brentford being one. it's like saying it's not OK that we went out of the FA cup to liverpool last year when we had to field the kids.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

who is accepting anything though? even by VT standards this site has been in total meltdown since saturday...trust me, no one has accepted that result, nor offered any excuses for it

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

Aston Villa 6 points

Palace 6 points

Saints 5 points

Firstly, we have 7 points from the last 6, not 6 points.

Secondly, why the **** would you use a "last 6 game" barometer when the season is only 8 games old?

Edited by bobzy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, bobzy said:

You're taking it too literally.  It's not fun to lose, but losing games happens and is part of the ups and downs of supporting a football team - which is enjoyable as a whole.

Although apparently not for some people.  They just can't handle defeat and I feel sorry for them.

If we get out played most can handle it. If we F**** up or play poorly which is probably 75% of our losses, it's a little bit harder to take, as you can be kinda frustrated we could have won the game and it's points thrown away, i.e Wolves. 

An it may be only 8 games in, but if we are 3 points off a European place or lower on points from at the end of the season, it'll be a big regret that game was thrown away.

22 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

If we get out played most can handle it.

Ha.

If we F**** up

Yes, we make too many individual errors and it costs us points often.

Not sure what more the manager can do on those really. 

Don't think he's telling players to shit themselves and slice clearances up in the air or duck out of headers.

or play poorly which is probably 75% of our losses, it's a little bit harder to take.

Players aren't robots. We aren't going to win every week. We aren't going to play well every week.

Looks like the complaint is we sometimes play badly and lose.

That's football. 

We're still on an upward curve, I'm enjoying it.

If the expectation is we should keep improving massively every year and win the league soon, good luck to you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Â