Dean Smith

Demitri_C

16 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Yeah but before that we won 2 in 13

That isn't consistency.

That is going from one extreme to the other.

I'm struggling to understand what you are asking for. So the point total isn't enough, it has to be done in a specific fashion as well. 

West Ham last season had a pretty middling campaign then sprang to life in the 2nd half. You going to slate Moyes for not delivering a consistent point total throughout the season. 

Edited by Rightdm00
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

I'm struggling to understand what you are asking for. So the point total isn't enough, it has to be done in a specific fashion as well. 

West Ham last season had a pretty middling campaign then sprang to life in the 2nd half. You going to slate Moyes for not delivering a consistent point total throughout the season. 

The criteria for Smith is always different to others though. I have no doubt that if Bailey has a huge impact this season, the same people will be saying how they'd like to see if Smith could do it without him. 

There will always be something. 

35 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Oh yeah, it's always our fault we lose. We should be pissing this league.

What about this consistency you crave so much? 

What other teams who finish around 9th/10th show it? As you seem to believe it's unique to Dean Smith. 

Most of them get out played. You cannot defend the indefensible.

First 8:

Watford- played poor  no urgency

Newcastle- Win against a poor team but good Villa performance

Brentford - Smiths pals always a draw

Chelsea - out played but good performance

Everton - on fire good performance

Man United - Good performance

Tottenham- Poor performance

Wolves - we know what happened here errors lost us the game

Only team we got outplayed by really was Chelsea so far, I'm sure Man City, Liverpool will do it too and maybe a the odd pants team who are on it. But we lose too many games because we are not at our best, not because we are outplayed, an this has become a trait of ours.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Fair enough. I wouldn't say I necessarily disagree. I don't believe Smith is the greatest manager in the league. 

Mt original point though was that whilst I want to be in the mix, I don't look at our squad and think it's the best out of all those clubs fighting for 7th. 

It's as good as any though. That's not to say it *should* finish top 7, but we need to give ourselves a good chance of doing so. At the moment the way Smith has set us up, I don't think there's any chance whatsoever, and the defence has regressed to the sorts of displays of two seasons ago.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Risso said:

Of course they will. I think we'd improve our chances with a better manager though, just like I think Man U would have a much better chance of challenging for the title with a higher calibre boss. It make a big difference.

Could we get better though ?

Of course we can I hear you cry 

RDM 

Remi Garde 

Tim Sherwood 

McLeish  

History isn't on our side ! Oh yeah the new owners.......who had Theiry Henry in the frame last time. 

8 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Most of them get out played. You cannot defend the indefensible.

First 8:

Watford- played poor  no urgency

Newcastle- Win against a poor team but good Villa performance

Brentford - Smiths pals always a draw

Chelsea - out played but good performance

Everton - on fire good performance

Man United - Good performance

Tottenham- Poor performance

Wolves - we know what happened here errors lost us the game

Only team we got outplayed by really was Chelsea so far, I'm sure Man City, Liverpool will do it too and maybe a the odd pants team who are on it. But we lose too many games because we are not at our best, not because we are outplayed, an this has become a trait of ours.

It's madness that you think this is unique to us. Do you seriously believe that midtable teams throughout prem history only lose games when they're outplayed? 

Do you not think fans of other clubs say exactly the same when they go through their results?

2 minutes ago, Risso said:

It's as good as any though. That's not to say it *should* finish top 7, but we need to give ourselves a good chance of doing so. At the moment the way Smith has set us up, I don't think there's any chance whatsoever, and the defence has regressed to the sorts of displays of two seasons ago.

I think that's a fair debate to have. I agree we need to give ourselves a good chance. 

For me, I'm fully expecting a stronger 2nd half to the season when the likes of Bailey and Buendia are fully fit and the team are gelled more. I'd be disappointed if we finished below 10th and didn't look like we could challenge at any point. 

38 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Lads, what changed? 

Because you're all very critical and angry considering what you expected not long back. 

Almost like you just want to jump at the chance to criticise the manager when you can. 

people are fine with a mid table finish so long as we don't lose to any shit teams along the way...

35 minutes ago, hippo said:

Could we get better though ?

Of course we can I hear you cry 

RDM 

Remi Garde 

Tim Sherwood 

McLeish  

History isn't on our side ! Oh yeah the new owners.......who had Theiry Henry in the frame last time. 

This is a fair point.

I'm not sure what level of manager we could attract.

16 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

If Everton can attract Ancelotti and Rafa, that level of manager must be within our reach

No thanks, Ancelotti pissed off the first chance he got and it’s fairly well known that Rafa still wants a crack at an elite the first chance he gets.  Mourinho was another in that bucket but he didn’t work out.  I’m happy in the Rodgers, Moyes, Smith type of managers that builds the club progressing each year…thanks.

18 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

If Everton can attract Ancelotti and Rafa, that level of manager must be within our reach

Ancelotti finished 1 place above Smith and Rafa hasn't done shit for a long time. 

I'm sure we could attract a fancy name, I'm not sure they'd be the better manager some on here desire. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, a m ole said:

Rafa whose record is similar to Bruce’s at Newcastle.

It’s almost as if context is important.

I’m done with On Topic for a good, good while 😂

Yeah, the same Rafa that has won many league titles, many national cups, the UEFA cup and the Champions League. Has also managed Liverpool and Real Madrid. That the guy alright. The discussion was about the calibre of manager we could attract. It is amazing how people can post stupid comments to try and support their narrative without actually thinking through what they are saying.

• Haha 1

Â