Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Just thought I'd have a look at previous seasons to just see what this consistency looks like, considering that's the new buzz word his critics have decided to focus on. 

So over the last 5 season I looked at the record of the 10th place team. Its top half, and progress on what we achieved last year. 

Everton - won 17 & lost 13

Burnley - won 15 & lost 14

West Ham - won 15 & lost 16

Newcastle - won 12 & lost 18

West Brom - won 12 & lost 17

So......I'm not sure what consistency is being expected. I've said previously, there's decades of football to show what midtable looks like. And some continue to believe inconsistency in midtable is a Dean Smith issue. 

Like with most of the criticism on here it's based on nonsense. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Just thought I'd have a look at previous seasons to just see what this consistency looks like, considering that's the new buzz word his critics have decided to focus on. 

So over the last 5 season I looked at the record of the 10th place team. Its top half, and progress on what we achieved last year. 

So......I'm not sure what consistency is being expected. I've said previously, there's decades of football to show what midtable looks like. And some continue to believe inconsistency in midtable is a Dean Smith issue. 

They are based on continued poor performances and errors, rather than actually being out played by the opposition.

• Haha 2

Just now, foreveryoung said:

They are based on continued poor performances and errors, rather than actually being out played by the opposition.

Oh yeah, it's always our fault we lose. We should be pissing this league.

What about this consistency you crave so much? 

What other teams who finish around 9th/10th show it? As you seem to believe it's unique to Dean Smith. 

12 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Consistency doesn't just mean results. We swing too much in performances.

With West Ham you know exactly what you get most weeks.

Moyes has managed to find it.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Are you missing the point that people want to finish higher than 10th?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Risso said:

Are you missing the point that people want to finish higher than 10th?

I want to as well. But there's a difference between want and expect. If people expect it, I'm not sure what it's based on, considering the teams we'd need to overtake. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Consistency doesn't just mean results. We swing too much in performances.

With West Ham you know exactly what you get most weeks.

Moyes has managed to find it.

Oh OK, so you don't mind if we lose, just as long as we lose in a similar fashion. Got it.

I've banged this drum before but performance inconsistency is a huge trait of young players. We have the third youngest squad in the Prem. This is something that will occur from time to time and won't change unless we decide to radically alter our recruitment strategy.  

We have seen consistency from Dean before.  In the championship we had a much older, more experienced squad and they churned out 10 wins in a row. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

I've banged this drum before but performance inconsistency is a huge trait of young players. We have the third youngest squad in the Prem. This is something that will occur from time to time and won't change unless we decide to radically alter our recruitment strategy.  

We have seen consistency from Dean before.  In the championship we had a much older, more experienced squad and they churned out 10 wins in a row. 

Yeah but before that we won 2 in 13

That isn't consistency.

That is going from one extreme to the other.

Edited by villalad21

10 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I want to as well. But there's a difference between want and expect. If people expect it, I'm not sure what it's based on, considering the teams we'd need to overtake. 

Any reason why we couldn't finish higher than some or all of Everton, Leeds, West Ham, Leicester and Arsenal?

On 08/08/2021 at 12:43, foreveryoung said:

I had a European place this season, but now with jack's departure and having to bed in the new signings, being balanced, I think we will have to do with a midtable finish again. The owners and Purslow will be expecting much more though, you can be assured of that

On 08/08/2021 at 12:53, VillaFaninLondon said:

16th would be a truly appalling season considering the teams we'd probably be finishing below (Burnley, Newcastle, Southampton, Palace). 

12th will be acceptable I would imagine given the loss of Grealish but we have brought in replacements and as it stands now (even without buying anyone else) we have a good team. 

The reality is we should be looking to progress. If we'd sold Grealish and not signed anyone then yes, staying up and hoping for midtable would be the goal, but we have signed players and quality players at that. 

We'll be expected to kick on next season, or at the very least not fall backwards. There are around 8 teams in the league who are pretty poor and who we should be finishing above. 

On 12/08/2021 at 09:26, villalad21 said:

People won't like to hear this but finishing 10th-9th would be a good season.

Talk about finishing in Europe is a little OTT. Sure it could happen but we're in a transitional period and it will take time for all these new signings to get fit and settle. Replacing Grealish won't happen over night. Will take time to find a new way to play without him.

22/23 season is when I expect us to make an European push.

Lads, what changed? 

Because you're all very critical and angry considering what you expected not long back. 

Almost like you just want to jump at the chance to criticise the manager when you can. 

• Like 4

Just now, Risso said:

Any reason why we couldn't finish higher than some or all of Everton, Leeds, West Ham, Leicester and Arsenal?

Do you not think all those clubs could say the same about us? Well apart from Leeds. 

I'm not saying it's impossible. We've got a chance, no doubt. But we haven't done enough to demand it or have it as a minimum requirement. 

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Yeah but before that we won 2 in 13

That isn't consistency

Yes, that run of wins coincided pretty well exactly with Grealish's return. You'd expect a team with Mings, Grealish, McGinn and Tammy to perform fairly well in the Championship.

Just now, DCJonah said:

Do you not think all those clubs could say the same about us? Well apart from Leeds. 

I'm not saying it's impossible. We've got a chance, no doubt. But we haven't done enough to demand it or have it as a minimum requirement. 

Of course they will. I think we'd improve our chances with a better manager though, just like I think Man U would have a much better chance of challenging for the title with a higher calibre boss. It make a big difference.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Lads, what changed? 

Because you're all very critical and angry considering what you expected not long back. 

Almost like you just want to jump at the chance to criticise the manager when you can. 

Nothing changed.

10th would be a solid season.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Risso said:

Of course they will. I think we'd improve our chances with a better manager though, just like I think Man U would have a much better chance of challenging for the title with a higher calibre boss. It make a big difference.

Fair enough. I wouldn't say I necessarily disagree. I don't believe Smith is the greatest manager in the league. 

Mt original point though was that whilst I want to be in the mix, I don't look at our squad and think it's the best out of all those clubs fighting for 7th. 

• Like 1

Â