Dean Smith

Demitri_C

6 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

As in with the coaching or recruitment? Genuinely not sure what you mean. But if it is coaching does the buck not stop with Deano?

I’d say the issue would be the players if it’s individual basic mistakes costing us.  So yeh, recruitment. The thing is how many goals did we concede from set pieces or second phase set pieces the whole of last season? I can’t remember that many which means it’s not a fundamental problem as it’s the same players. It’s not something that we’ve struggled with this season either. 

Saturday really was out of character in my opinion.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, maqroll said:

If there were ever a manager to be patient with and to give extra support and encouragement to it is fellow Villa supporter Dean Smith who has improved the standing of the club each season. Hasn't had his full assortment of players fully settle in yet this season but we've managed to win at Goodison and Old Trafford. We should be proud to support Dean 100%, *especially * when the going gets tough. Are we Villa fans or Plasticos? 

This I agree with. He gets time. There is nobody I would like to succeed with more than Dean Smith. 

Smith is just as much a Villa fan as Grealish was and we were desperate for him to stay. We should be desperate for Smith to do well with Villa. 

Yesterday, as hard as it is to see now, could be a blessing. It could create character. If we’re ever two up again, we’ll know what not to do! 

• Like 1

We need to learn the dark arts, stay down when fouled and get the physio on and waste time. It's not a pretty part of the game but Spurs gave us a great example on how its done in the previous game.

A typical example was Buendia going down and being dragged to his feet by Mings of all people. If Smith doesn't feel comfortable dealing with this part of the game then get some one in(to do a presentation) who can work through some.of the typical methods.

As for the result .....lucky 3rd goal but we didn't help ourselves,  very poor tbh, embarrassing.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

I think most of us are

Indeed - success for Smith is success for Villa, and we all benefit.

Problem is, results such as Saturday's surface an unease about Smith that some feel; we cannot point to Smith's winning history for reassurance.We can point at solid progress from where we were to where we are though. We just have to see if we can take the next steps with him.

18 minutes ago, hippo said:

I'm not buying that players "signalling" to come off. 

Just so we're clear, Smith has outright said it was the case that Buendia asked to come off. Were you unaware of this or are you suggesting Smith is a liar? 

29 minutes ago, GrassyNoel said:

Problem is, results such as Saturday's surface an unease about Smith that some feel; we cannot point to Smith's winning history for reassurance.We can point at solid progress from where we were to where we are though. We just have to see if we can take the next steps with him.

That is the big question. We all want him to succeed but we don't know if he will be able to. For me, he absolutely needs to start showing consistency in performances to keep his job

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Peter Griffin said:

There are lots of positive discussions about Deano on here. After the Man U game I posted a comment to say that bringing Archer on at 80 odd minutes or whatever it was and at 0-0 was a really positive and ballsy sub and I commended him for it. The Wolves game was a bloody disaster and it was the most recent game hence the discussion. So please ditch the rhetoric saying it would be nice to get up one day not to see loads of negative posts. Its simply untrue and posted to suit your narrative.

Seems by the likes on my comment people agree with me.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

This I agree with. He gets time. There is nobody I would like to succeed with more than Dean Smith. 

Smith is just as much a Villa fan as Grealish was and we were desperate for him to stay. We should be desperate for Smith to do well with Villa. 

Yesterday, as hard as it is to see now, could be a blessing. It could create character. If we’re ever two up again, we’ll know what not to do! 

But equally every opposition team that finds themselves 2-0 to villa will know the game isn't dead. That's why you never win anything with a soft defence.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

from utd final whistle to monday morning around 9am - 10 pages added to this topic

from wolves final whistle to same time monday - around 28 pages added

there is definitely a section that are very quick to criticise but also too many reactionary posts that will inevitably rub people up the wrong way. you yourself posted some very complimentary posts such as the below following the utd game and now you're talking about honeymoon periods being over, we should be ruthless and sack him if mistakes continue to happen etc etc. this was 3 weeks ago! can't we just enjoy the ride? criticise selections, tactics, decisions etc but its the talks of 'he should go if things don't improve' etc that don't help the conversation IMO because i don't think the board are as reactionary as some on here. mid table, i believe, was the expectation this season, and is what we're firmly on course for. to finish mid table, you will get some utter shite results. but they just make the good results like utd even better.

So 9 to 10 pages after Man Utd game i.e. there was praise, so just highlights my point. It is untrue to say it is always negative. As regards more posts after Wolves games than the Man Utd game, that is to be expected. Emotions are high and people like to vent. And I stand by my comment that he should be sacked if he can't continue with the improvement over the last 3 years. He is paid very well to deliver results. If he fails to deliver results then someone that can do so should have the job. My loyalty is to Villa and not any of the players or staff. They are employees paid to perform.

25 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

So 9 to 10 pages after Man Utd game i.e. there was praise, so just highlights my point. It is untrue to say it is always negative. As regards more posts after Wolves games than the Man Utd game, that is to be expected. Emotions are high and people like to vent. And I stand by my comment that he should be sacked if he can't continue with the improvement over the last 3 years. He is paid very well to deliver results. If he fails to deliver results then someone that can do so should have the job. My loyalty is to Villa and not any of the players or staff. They are employees paid to perform.

my point being is that two bad results and people start talking about sacking him. like they can't wait to bring the subject up.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Facts are not opinions, they are objective analysis of the presented data. You said that the comments were always negative. The fact is they are not always negative. 

It didn’t say that though did it…

It would be nice to get up one day and not see a load of posts seeing only the negatives all the time.  

You can see the difference between the two, it’s the reason I worded it that way.

Edited by nick76

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

Just so we're clear, Smith has outright said it was the case that Buendia asked to come off. Were you unaware of this or are you suggesting Smith is a liar? 

Also on the TV broadcast you can see buendia signalling to the bench not long before the sub happened 

1 hour ago, GrassyNoel said:

Consistency is the key word to make doubters like myself on board. 

We've never had it under Smith. And by consistency I'm not just talking about results. 

We play well in patches. We live off moments. But it's nothing sustained. 

Also mentality is a big issue. Collapse like on Saturday was very damaging. But it's also the fact how poor we are coming back from losing positions. 

The people wondering why he doesn't get more outside recognition. This is exactly why. It's the lack of consistency.

Edited by villalad21

Â