Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Just now, Peter Griffin said:

Like it or not, the Blades ghost goal is a fact, it is not just something for opposition fans to beat us up with. It actually happened. And DS deserves a huge amount of credit for turning our season around and getting us to survive on the last day

DS is failing to deliver consistency in performances and a clear playing style. Villa is like Jeykll and Hyde. That is not good enough at this stage. I want him to stay as gaffer but if he doesn't fix this he needs to be sacked

It did happen. But its bullshit that it's a reason we stayed up. First of all, it wasn't even half time, so no way to know how the game would have ended. Secondly, we were clearly screwed in the Palace game. 

So odd you'd cling to it to try and diminish the achievement. 

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

It did happen. But its bullshit that it's a reason we stayed up. First of all, it wasn't even half time, so no way to know how the game would have ended. Secondly, we were clearly screwed in the Palace game. 

So odd you'd cling to it to try and diminish the achievement. 

Cannot actually believe you have to explain this to another villa fan. Just block him.

• Like 4

Like it or not, the Blades ghost goal is a fact, it is not just something for opposition fans to beat us up with. It actually happened. And DS deserves a huge amount of credit for turning our season around and getting us to survive on the last day

DS is failing to deliver consistency in performances and a clear playing style. Villa is like Jeykll and Hyde. That is not good enough at this stage. I want him to stay as gaffer but if he doesn't fix this he needs to be sacked

it's a fact that the ghost goal happened...in the first half of the 27th(?) game of the season. it's NOT a fact that it was the reason we stayed up. i thought all villa fans knew that...i take the piss when bournemouth fans bring it up because it makes them sound like **** imbeciles.

i don't get your position to be honest with you. you say he should stay if he finishes 10th. you do realise that position will inevitably mean that 'jekyll and hyde' displays will pretty much have been the story of our season right? so is that good enough or isn't it?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tomav84 said:
7 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

it's a fact that the ghost goal happened...in the first half of the 27th(?) game of the season. it's NOT a fact that it was the reason we stayed up

I never said it was the reason we stayed up, but it was certainly a significant factor in helping us to stay up

1 minute ago, tomav84 said:

it's a fact that the ghost goal happened...in the first half of the 27th(?) game of the season. it's NOT a fact that it was the reason we stayed up. i thought all villa fans knew that...i take the piss when bournemouth fans bring it up because it makes them sound like **** imbeciles.

i don't get your position to be honest with you. you say he should stay if he finishes 10th. you do realise that position will inevitably mean that 'jekyll and hyde' displays will pretty much have been the story of our season right? so is that good enough or isn't it?

We want one of those magical 10th place finishes where you're consistent and finish 10th. 

I think @Keybladesaid it earlier, people just don't think. Its like football hasn't existed before this season and that there's not decades of evidence showing how up and down mid table teams are during a season. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

What do you think it would take for Smith to lose his job? And, what do you THINK it should take for him to lose his job? 

(Just out of interest) 

I think a relegation battle and that will be the only reason he is sacked this season. 

I never said it was the reason we stayed up, but it was certainly a significant factor in helping us to stay up

It wasn't a significant factor at all. You might as well say an opposition player missing a good chance in the first half of any game was a significant factor in us staying up. 

Smith is a victim of his success maybe. Yes he has done well getting us where we are today, which is why we expect more, an certainly don't expect the same errors and  continued poor performances that were happening from season 1 in the Prem.

It's a little messy out there at the moment, an he needs to sort it rapid.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

We're 8 games in, it literally means nothing

It may mean nothing if you are Newcastle or Burnley but their objective is to finish 17th. That is not Villa's objective. We are looking to push for Europe and finish as high a possible each year. Throwing away points like we did yesterday means a huge amount and is not acceptable. It is going to hurt our finishing positioning next May too. I really can't understand the complacency with dropping points and putting in poor performances.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Smith is a victim of his success maybe. Yes he has done well getting us where we are today, which is why we expect more, an certainly don't expect the same errors and  continued poor performances that were happening from season 1 in the Prem.

It's a little messy out there at the moment, an he needs to sort it rapid.

Well said.

Its probably Smiths most important season so far as a manager in having to replace a player who sucked the oxygen out of the club and integrate the three new players in a different formation and tactics.

Nothing has really gone his way with injuries, international breaks etc and was always going to take a third of the season to bed down the players and tactical changes. But we are have seen glimpses of what the new players are capable of, we just need to start seeing the consistency and this is Smiths challenge over the next few games starting at Arsenal.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

It may mean nothing if you are Newcastle or Burnley but their objective is to finish 17th. That is not Villa's objective. We are looking to push for Europe and finish as high a possible each year. Throwing away points like we did yesterday means a huge amount and is not acceptable. It is going to hurt our finishing positioning next May too. I really can't understand the complacency with dropping points and putting in poor performances.

This is irrelevant to Graham Potter and Brighton though. They're not finishing in Europe. We (and they) can be 4th right now, but neither of us will finish there.

There's no complacency, as that would imply 6th place is our minimum expectation for this season which is just silly. We can still push for it, in fact we're only 4 points off of it even with our inconsistent start and upheaval before the start of the season. 

• Like 1

We've played 8 games out of a 38 game season, and we're mid table. We're 5 points off the Champions League places. People need to calm down.

Yesterday was a sickener, and no doubt we made some big mistakes from Smith downwards. But the idea we should start questioning Smith's future now is madness.

• Like 4

Also this Potter debate is frankly weird. I rate the guy a lot but over 3x into the season last year we were as many points off CL places as Brighton were off relegation. Context is key, let's see where we are soon enough and we can properly appraise then, that goes for the manager as well as isolated players people like to point blame at.

Edited by Indigo
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Indigo said:

Also this Potter debate is frankly weird. I rate the guy a lot but over 3x into the season last year we were as many points off CL places as Brighton were off relegation. Context is key, let's see where we are soon enough and we can properly appraise then, that goes for the manager as well as isolated players people like to point blame at.

Every **** season there is a manager of another club who is the chosen one.

2019/20 it was Wilder

2020/21 it was Bielsa or Moyes

2021/22 it's Potter

If someone can show me any evidence that any of these managers are tearing away from Smith, I'd love to see it. Wilder got relegated the next year. Bielsa has 6 points so far this season, Moyes is only 4 points ahead, and no doubt Potter will have a bad spell at some point.

Some people see all of our flaws, but go easy on all the clubs around us for some reason. Once you go below Chelsea, City and Liverpool every other team in this division has serious flaws, and will drop points in stupid ways on a regular basis.

• Like 4

If there were ever a manager to be patient with and to give extra support and encouragement to it is fellow Villa supporter Dean Smith who has improved the standing of the club each season. Hasn't had his full assortment of players fully settle in yet this season but we've managed to win at Goodison and Old Trafford. We should be proud to support Dean 100%, *especially * when the going gets tough. Are we Villa fans or Plasticos? 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, maqroll said:

If there were ever a manager to be patient with and to give extra support and encouragement to it is fellow Villa supporter Dean Smith who has improved the standing of the club each season. Hasn't had his full assortment of players fully settle in yet this season but we've managed to win at Goodison and Old Trafford. We should be proud to support Dean 100%, *especially * when the going gets tough. Are we Villa fans or Plasticos? 

I agree we need to support Deano and I do. But if the team continue to make basic mistakes then he is the wrong man for the job and unfortunately he will need to be replaced

4 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

I agree we need to support Deano and I do. But if the team continue to make basic mistakes then he is the wrong man for the job and unfortunately he will need to be replaced

Yes and No. if the team continues to make basic mistakes the issue is more than just the manager. 

2 hours ago, nick76 said:

It would be nice to get up one day and not see a load of posts seeing only the negatives all the time.  

It would be nice to discuss Smiths positives, what positives he’s done, how the local boy has got us from the bottom of the Championship to actually having a chance to fight for European place football.  

We’ve had so many crap managers in my 40 odd years that to have a local lad progressing us season after season is amazing.  He’s one of us, he’s got us promoted, got us to a cup final, dragged us back to the upper parts of football.  We have quality internationals throughout the squad, one of the best keepers in the world, we beat Man U at Old Trafford, we gave the Champions of Europe a good game (despite the result).  We were almost out of business three years ago and in the bottom half of the Championship.  

Through him, the owners and many others, we are where we are today.  The owners get lauded, Purslow is incredibly respected, our ex player gets loads of credit but our manager gets disrespected daily on this thread.  

What would I like to discuss on this thread? A day when he gets a little respect for what he’s done, that’s all without swipes at him.  Never going to happen though because it’s framed as “we aren’t being negative, we want him to succeed but”.  The guy has done so much, still hasn’t hit his ceiling himself yet and hasn’t had a full team to put out this season.  

Yesterday really hurt, it will have hurt him just as much but in him I trust!

There are lots of positive discussions about Deano on here. After the Man U game I posted a comment to say that bringing Archer on at 80 odd minutes or whatever it was and at 0-0 was a really positive and ballsy sub and I commended him for it. The Wolves game was a bloody disaster and it was the most recent game hence the discussion. So please ditch the rhetoric saying it would be nice to get up one day not to see loads of negative posts. Its simply untrue and posted to suit your narrative.

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

Yes and No. if the team continues to make basic mistakes the issue is more than just the manager. 

As in with the coaching or recruitment? Genuinely not sure what you mean. But if it is coaching does the buck not stop with Deano?

Â