Dean Smith

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

It's not a major issue

So it is an issue?

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

Not sure why people are desperate to do it.

This is an Aston Villa forum. Is the purpose of this forum not to be able to discuss all things Villa between Villa fans?

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

claiming he needs to deliver, talking about him losing his job if he doesn't get europe.

Dean does have to deliver and if he doesn't deliver he should rightly be sacked, just like any other manager. For clarity, I don't believe anyone said that he should be sacked for not finishing in Europe. If you read my comments, I said that less than 10th would be considered underachieving imo.

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

It's not a major issue. Not sure why people are desperate to do it. 

But it's not really that. It's diminishing his achievements, claiming he needs to deliver, talking about him losing his job if he doesn't get europe. 

100 million spent says he needs to deliver. 

I certainly did not say he needs to go, I hate him etc. What I said was I'm unsure about the season ahead and he may struggle.

6 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

So it is an issue?

This is an Aston Villa forum. Is the purpose of this forum not to be able to discuss all things Villa between Villa fans?

Dean does have to deliver and if he doesn't deliver he should rightly be sacked, just like any other manager. For clarity, I don't believe anyone said that he should be sacked for not finishing in Europe. If you read my comments, I said that less than 10th would be considered underachieving imo.

The aim being Europe are Dean's words not mine.

And if he is saying it, it is an indication that is what he's been told by the owners.

Huge pressure on his shoulders though as I don't think we'll be anywhere near Europe this season. Will be difficult enough to improve on 11th.

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

The aim being Europe are Dean's words not mine.

And if he is saying it, it is an indication that is what he's been told by the owners.

Huge pressure on his shoulders though as I don't think we'll be anywhere near Europe this season. Will be difficult enough to improve on 11th.

Yeah, I get the feeling that Dean is under pressure this season. There will be high expectations from the owners and this will be pushed down to CP and then pushed down to DS. I think Dean has been great so far for Villa but I think the owners expectations may actually be higher than the fans. I would be very happy with 8th or 9th this season and I think that would be a very good achievement by Smith. But I suspect the owners may not be as happy as me. They clearly want European football

I think it is a big season for Smith in particular. If anything it's his toughest yet with the losses to his staff and the turbulent summer culminating in lord f*** face running to lick peps ballsack. I think he's got his work cut out personally and any improvement on last year would be a bonus in my eyes. All being said, I think I speak for most when I say that most fans(if not all) are behind him 1 million percent this season above all and he's going to need that support with the team this year. 

I hope more than anything that the crowd at VP collectively get behind the team even if we are inconstant for a while. Let's not embarrass ourselves or turn against players that have never played in front a full crowd but instead encourage them. We are still going to have a very young team and a manager that are all going to need that support. UTV.   

• Like 1

It has been said by Purslow, the players that have been brought in, Ing's, Bailey, Buendia are to replace Grealish. They will not be looking for transition, bedding in, they will be looking for results. It's already been said European football, not be us fans by the Board and Smith has said himself.

26 minutes ago, Woody1000 said:

I’m just astounded by what I’ve read these last couple of pages. If Dean fails, I’m sure the club will do what they feel is necessary, but until then why don’t we all try and get behind him? He has met and overcome every challenge so far in his time here.

I'm hoping that as soon as all our players are fit and he has options that Dean can build on the progress made to date.  But he's really not met and overcome every challenge so far.  There are still questions marks over his ability to change the course of a match through a change of approach (pretty sure we have one of the worst records in the PL for points gained having fallen behind), we have been over-reliant on Jack for a while (see our win record when he plays v when he doesn't) and the team has seemed disjointed in previous seasons when Jack wasn't playing, we also have a habit of going on long runs of bad results (partly linked to Jack being injured in the past).  Just three challenges that I don't think Dean has met or overcome yet.  We now have a much stronger bench and (in my opinion) a broader variety of options (so we aren't reliant on bringing on Trez or Davis to try and change the course of the game which would be a tough ask of even the best managers in the game).  Our progress over the last 3 seasons has been excellent but there are elements where improvement is required (from players, coaches and the manager).  Last year was a bit of a classic case - on paper it was nothing other than a great season of consolidation.  But for a good 2 - 3 months we were pretty shocking and we didn't seem to try anything different to address that.  As I said maybe we didn't have the options available but this season (unless we are hit by several injuries) we can't use that excuse.  I know managers are always judged on results but I feel that this is a big season for Dean.  I think he needs to show that either we have a tactic other than pass it to Jack and that if Plan A isn't working that we now have a Plan B and / or a Plan C.  Hopefully he now has the players to do so.  If not then questions must also be asked why we don't.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, allani said:

I'm hoping that as soon as all our players are fit and he has options that Dean can build on the progress made to date.  But he's really not met and overcome every challenge so far.  There are still questions marks over his ability to change the course of a match through a change of approach (pretty sure we have one of the worst records in the PL for points gained having fallen behind), we have been over-reliant on Jack for a while (see our win record when he plays v when he doesn't) and the team has seemed disjointed in previous seasons when Jack wasn't playing, we also have a habit of going on long runs of bad results (partly linked to Jack being injured in the past).  Just three challenges that I don't think Dean has met or overcome yet.  We now have a much stronger bench and (in my opinion) a broader variety of options (so we aren't reliant on bringing on Trez or Davis to try and change the course of the game which would be a tough ask of even the best managers in the game).  Our progress over the last 3 seasons has been excellent but there are elements where improvement is required (from players, coaches and the manager).  Last year was a bit of a classic case - on paper it was nothing other than a great season of consolidation.  But for a good 2 - 3 months we were pretty shocking and we didn't seem to try anything different to address that.  As I said maybe we didn't have the options available but this season (unless we are hit by several injuries) we can't use that excuse.  I know managers are always judged on results but I feel that this is a big season for Dean.  I think he needs to show that either we have a tactic other than pass it to Jack and that if Plan A isn't working that we now have a Plan B and / or a Plan C.  Hopefully he now has the players to do so.  If not then questions must also be asked why we don't.

Apart from all you say ( which I agree with 100% ) there is also the question,when Jack was out injured last season, why did DS not go for a draw ?close ranks,park the bus and go for 0-0.If he had of done that we might have got an extra 3/4 points.One more question ( that may bee irrelevant ) is, both of his assistants leaving,virtually together and one of them has been with him for over 10 years ?! 

Shocking performance the owners aren't going to be happy with the comfortable 2 0 win there.

Sack him.

We won ? Oh erm yeah I think he's shit hot.

Good solid comfortable performance. Once the big hitters are back to provide more competition we'll be even better. Now Where's my Newcastle supporting brother his phone seems to be diverting calls to his answerphone.

• Like 1

Brentford will be a proper game and our record against them is dreadful.

Smith has to keep this same team.

Brentford are not like Newcastle. They won't let us rest on the ball and will be in our faces.

Their fans will absolutely love to beat us considering we've got their manager.

After that it's Chelsea, Everton, Spurs and Man Utd. So far larger tests to come, and we've got one hell of a set of games coming up. 3 points today was BADLY needed!

• Like 1

In the circumstances he picked the most balanced team he could and after the dodgy opening 20 minutes we were pretty comfortable for the most part.

Hopefully avoid shock in the cup and Brentford will be a different challenge, just hope we have a couple back from injury by then.

• Like 1

Just now, VillaChris said:

In the circumstances he picked the most balanced team he could and after the dodgy opening 20 minutes we were pretty comfortable for the most part.

Hopefully avoid shock in the cup and Brentford will be a different challenge, just hope we have a couple back from injury by then.

Should treat the early Cup games as pre season games and field a strong side to keep building fitness. Surely?

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I guess we can all go quiet until the next time we don't win and it's all doom and gloom.

It wasn't all doom and gloom before the Newcastle game. It was just rational discussion about out manager. Do you think he put in a perfect performance today or is there room for improvement? Even he said the performance wasn't great. Are we allowed to agree with him on that?

• Like 1

Â