Dean Smith

Demitri_C

3 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

People lost their shit during that bad spell in his first year. We broke a club record and got promoted. 

People wanted him sacked our first year in the prem. We actually pulled off a bit of a miracle to stay up after project restart. 

People lost their shit at times last season. Best season in a decade. 

I've come to the conclusion that no matter what, the same people will have the same moans and lose their shit. 

They've learnt nothing these past few years and still some can't comprehend what a mid table prem team is all about.

If we win tomorrow, I hope the same people predicting doom and gloom will then tell us how Europe is on the cards.

The first three paragraphs were massively influenced by Jack Grealish. 

Smiths record without him is poor. It’ll be interesting to see how he does this season. I think he’ll struggle.

3 hours ago, Dave_jW said:

has he built up enough goodwill to get the next few months?

I think so. Whether or not it's the same for all remains to be seen. I hope it comes together and my point becomes irrelevant.

3 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

The first three paragraphs were massively influenced by Jack Grealish. 

Smiths record without him is poor. It’ll be interesting to see how he does this season. I think he’ll struggle.

Great, let's punish him for having a good player and getting the best out of him. 

I'd expect nothing less. Anything to try and diminish the fact he's proved you all wrong for 3 consecutive years. 

2 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

I think so. Whether or not it's the same for all remains to be seen. I hope it comes together and my point becomes irrelevant.

I'd be amazed if he hasn't built up enough goodwill within the club. 

4 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Great, let's punish him for having a good player and getting the best out of him. 

I'd expect nothing less. Anything to try and diminish the fact he's proved you all wrong for 3 consecutive years. 

Proved us all wrong?! I’m firmly in the ‘Smith in’ camp! 

What do you mean? 

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I'd be amazed if he hasn't built up enough goodwill within the club. 

So would I. However, if the squad/team doesn't settle quickly then he'll be under pressure. Whether people like it or not I think it's only going to get tougher for Smith regarding expectations from those above. Personally with the upheaval this summer I'm not banking on much of an improvement on last season, if any. I hope to be pleasantly surprised come next May.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

So would I. However, if the squad/team doesn't settle quickly then he'll be under pressure. Whether people like it or not I think it's only going to get tougher for Smith regarding expectations from those above. Personally with the upheaval this summer I'm not banking on much of an improvement on last season, if any. I hope to be pleasantly surprised come next May.  

Yeah I agree he's under more pressure this season but I don't see the owners panicking. There is no reason to. And I'm sure both of them have been around sport long enough to know that progress is never just a continuing upward straight line. There will be dips and struggles along the way. 

10 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Proved us all wrong?! I’m firmly in the ‘Smith in’ camp! 

What do you mean? 

Smith in camp but you've literally just dismissed anything he's done because of Jack Grealish. Very odd.

15 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Smith in camp but you've literally just dismissed anything he's done because of Jack Grealish. Very odd.

He got the best out of him, no doubt, and that’s absolutely fine. My worry is his record without him. He’ll sink or swim in the first 3 months of this season. I want him to succeed, badly. 

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

He got the best out of him, no doubt, and that’s absolutely fine. My worry is his record without him. He’ll sink or swim in the first 3 months of this season. I want him to succeed, badly. 

So you're happy to be patient and wait for our summer business to be fit and settled before moaning and complaining?

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

People lost their shit during that bad spell in his first year. We broke a club record and got promoted. 

People wanted him sacked our first year in the prem. We actually pulled off a bit of a miracle to stay up after project restart. 

People lost their shit at times last season. Best season in a decade. 

I've come to the conclusion that no matter what, the same people will have the same moans and lose their shit. 

They've learnt nothing these past few years and still some can't comprehend what a mid table prem team is all about.

If we win tomorrow, I hope the same people predicting doom and gloom will then tell us how Europe is on the cards.

It's possible, just as having concerns right now is fair. 

It's annoying that we are playing winnable games at a time when fitness, lack of preseason, lack of cohesion (some of these players have still never played together) and injury is ripping is a new one.

Presuming Bailey won't start then:

Ings

Anwar --- Ramsey --- Buendia 

Doug --- McGinn

Targett (or Young) -- Mings -- Konsa -- Cash

Martinez

Is about is a good as it gets and to be honest we'll still struggle with that side, it will be even worse if for some reason he persists with Young on the left wing and Anwar on the right.

Edited by VillanousOne

Just been checking some stats, interesting stuff, in Smiths' entire time with Villa, with and without Mike Lubb (18/19, 19/20, 20/21 & 21/22):

Without Mike Lubb:     Win - 25%, Draw - 28%, Loss - 47%. (avg PPG = 1.02)

With Mike Lubb:           Win - 48%, Draw - 18%, Loss - 34%. (avg PPG = 1.63)

Gonna be a key year for Deano this year i think.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Delphinho123 said:

There will be a mini meltdown in here tomorrow if we lose, which is a real possibility. 

Some of it will be justified and some of it won’t. 

I fully expect us to struggle tomorrow because everything points to us doing so. 

I think, if Smith gets his selection right tomorrow (imho - a 4-3-3 with the same midfield that ended the Watford game, Ash at LB, and Buendia (RW) and JPB (LW) either side of Ings) we should have enough to beat the Geordies BUT I don't believe he will if last Saturday is anything to go by!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

It's annoying that we are playing winnable games at a time when fitness, lack of preseason, lack of cohesion (some of these players have still never played together) and injury is ripping is a new one.

Ings

Doug --- McGinn

Martinez

Is about is a good as it gets and to be honest we'll still struggle with that side, it will be even worse if for some reason he persists with Young on the left wing and Anwar on the right.

Just interested - why would you start El Ghazi ahead of JPB??  On the basis of pre-season, I would have the kid way ahead of him.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

Ings

Doug --- McGinn

Martinez

Why do you think we will struggle with that side? It’s a fairly expensively assembled starting eleven. With home advantage, I think that should be good enough to beat a team that has been largely starved of investment. I genuinely have no idea and I could easily be wrong but I would think that this team probably cost a fair bit more than the toon 11. From the players available I quite like your selection and formation. It’s nicely balanced. Of course we would all be happier with Bailey in for AEG and Ollie in for Ings but Ings at least is a good alternative.

Â