Dean Smith

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, barry'sboots said:

I get this and agree that another couple of windows and we should have a great squad BUT Smith's lack of tactical flexibility and inability to find a way to play when things are not going well is alarming.

He is a million miles away from, say, Rodgers.  Losing to Liverpool - tweaks to a 4-4(diamond)-2 and turns it around.  He is able to flex his tactics/formation to the players he has.

There is no way that we should have started a game with Trez on the pitch tonight - he has stunk the pitch out with every appearance he has made over the last 3 months or so!  If Smith can't see this I am not sure what he is watching?

Agreed but he's only been managing in the top flight for one whole season. Rodgers is a superb manager. One of the best in the league. 

Dean Smith isn't perfect. But he's done a great job and surely deserves to continue to build his squad. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I've read this a few times. What was lucky about it? 

lucky in the sense that the good form has "luckily" saved us from a bit of a mess right now.

I dont mean luck as in a fluke, but we should count ourselves lucky/fortunate we had such a good run which means our current poor form isnt leaving us in a relegation fight.

Edited by MaVilla

One thing I don't like....that one point stat all season when we're losing games.

Not going to be top 6 anytime soon if you just give up in games when losing. Tonight we were fine at 0-0 but rarely looked like doing anything once we conceded and two nil finished the game totally.

Arsenal came from 1 down v Spurs just 7 days ago.

We need some more belief as we'll be behind in many games next season aswell.

1 minute ago, danceoftheshamen said:

It is not the system for me it's p*** poor quality of play by various players. Poor decision making and execution of pass etc. Very odd as for the first 10 games or so they were much better. That for me says it's more about mental focus than anything else. Better quality of players is needed in my mind to work this system.

Yep, between the back 4 and Watkins there are 5 players who week in week out are garbage and their replacements on the bench are no better, no matter what combination of 3 he puts in the middle it looks shit and gets outplayed 

Definitely agree on the mental side of it

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

lucky in the sense that the good form has "luckily" saved us from a bit of a mess right now.

I dont mean luck as in a fluke, but we should count ourselves lucky/fortunate we had such a good run which means our current poor form isnt leaving us in a relegation fight.

Hmm. Not sure I consider it lucky. I think there are a few reasons we've dropped off. I think full credit to the team for such an amazing first half of the season to allow us to never really worry about relegation. 

50 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

I wonder at what point Deano starts to feel a little anxious about job security?

No time this season that's for sure. The bloke has done and incredible job with this club.

2 years ago we were mid table in the Championship

1 year ago we were around the relegation zone in the Premier League

Today we are mid table in the Premier League 

Yes, we have been poor in recent weeks but we have come a huge way in 2 years. We're not going to be world beaters in that time, we still need to improve and strengthen the squad, which i'm sure we will do this summer. 

• Like 2

Still absolutely back Smith but he needs to do some work here. 

Any system that only works when you have one of Europe’s most creative players floating around in it isn’t a good system. 

We aren’t awful. Our players are readily praised during this bad run. We have no cutting edge though.

If you think about it like an NFL team who have the defence the offence and special teams. Our offence team is poor and underperforming. I wouldn’t include Watkins in that. He is playing his role well but he can’t link up with anyone. The guile isn’t there. The accuracy isn’t there. 

NSWE need a coach who can cope with that and they won’t trust their team to Smith if he can’t. 

At the same time we’ve heard a lot about these recruitment geniuses we’ve hired. Time to start identifying some upgrades lads!

4 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Still love Smith. I want to see him switch things up more though. if you plan isnt working then have a plan b and implement it early. He should think long and hard about the management lesson he got today from Jose Mourinho. 

Did he? I thought spurs were pretty poor too, not sure what tactic they employed that outdid us

The difference is they had Moura and Kane 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, GingerCollins29 said:

I cant figure out whether its smith who has no clue what to do without jack or whether the players just dont believe they are good enough without jack.

I think is a confusion on the players, Jack is the go to guy all the time and without him they are a bit confused. Sweden used to have a similar issue with Zlatan and the players looked a little clueless without him as it was natural to just pass to him. Something that can be coached but its not easy mid-season

Just now, Demitri_C said:

If we end finishing 14th it really isn't that much much progress 

Smith spent alot we should br lookin at top 10 with this squad 

Disagree 

The defence and the away performances show good progress

If we maintain this defence next year and make the same jump forward in attack then we have made a lot of progress

• Like 1

Recruitment the issue IMO. Smith has very few options - he doesn't get a free pass though. but has credit in the tank for me.  We need to stop farting about with £15m additions - we have enough of those now. We also need to be braver with the youngsters many of whom will be at an age to be considered next season - and maybe the tail end of this.

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

If we end finishing 14th it really isn't that much much progress 

Smith spent alot we should br lookin at top 10 with this squad 

Its a lot of progress from staying up on the last minute of last season. Our squad is not a top 10 squad by far. Trezeguet, Elmo, McGinn, El Ghazi, Davis dont get near a Leicester, Wolves, Everton or West Ham squad

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I've read this a few times. What was lucky about it? 

Lucky that the other teams underestimated us at the start, and/or weren't up to speed with our dynamic early season play, lucky that we were able to rack up those points because if the rot had set in just a little bit earlier than it has we would have been in a relegation fight this year as well.

1 minute ago, hippo said:

Recruitment the issue IMO. Smith has very few options - he doesn't get a free pass though. but has credit in the tank for me.  We need to stop farting about with £15m additions - we have enough of those now. We also need to be braver with the youngsters many of whom will be at an age to be considered next season - and maybe the tail end of this.

what?

Just now, Lerner's Driver said:

Lucky that the other teams underestimated us at the start, and/or weren't up to speed with our dynamic early season play, lucky that we were able to rack up those points because if the rot had set in just a little bit earlier than it has we would have been in a relegation fight this year as well.

If thats the case surely Liverpool are lucky they picked up all them points before Christmas as well as they could be in a relegation fight as well ;)  

Â