Dean Smith

Demitri_C

24 minutes ago, TRO said:

Pressure and expectations at Villa, will always be an issue.....while we appoint managers who do not have the presence or personality to deal with the pressure. IMO its not the pressure that is the issue, its the managers, who can't deal with it.

I suspect our owners do not want big names, because with big names, come big demands.......personality managers or big reputation managers, will not have players pushed on to them, maybe the odd one, but not as their policy.

A big personality/reputaion manager, will do it his way or he is off, thats the leverage they have......Dean as an example, will never get a job bigger than Villa and they know that and inadvertently exploit it.

We need managers, we, the club are grateful for......not the other way around.

But Smith has given us something to be grateful for. A promotion. A cup final. Just because he hasn't got a big reputation? 

Any good will gone straight away because we're in an expected relegation scrap?

Just now, Zatman said:

Haaland as well

Yeah, of course. I think Villa will get those type of players if we stay up. This year was always going to be hit or miss. The only thing that could have been done better, was to take in two quality loan players in the beginning of the season. Most of the players bought do have a bright future.

He’s delusional. Just listened to his press conference and he thinks we’re playing well and been unlucky. 🙄

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, jim said:

He’s delusional. Just listened to his press conference and he thinks we’re playing well and been unlucky. 🙄

Tbf, and I say this as someone who doesn't think he's done enough to keep his job, some stats do suggest that he is. We were the superior team against both Newcastle and Sheffield and if we were just a bit luckier, would've gained all 3 points from both games. Big asterisk on the Sheffield game though due to goal line technology stuff.

We have been playing better since the break then before it. But if we're talking about luck, I think it evens out. We were quite lucky before the break and we've been possibly unlucky after it.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

Don't think I would go as far as to say we've been unlucky.

We played ok against Sheffield United but I don't remember their keeper having too many saves to make.

Against Newcastle we probably edged it but I think a draw was a fair result.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, holteend1982 said:

We are playing better since the break but tbf you couldn't really get much worse than that Leicester game. 

Agreed we are playing better - but still not good enough for a PL side.

DS appears to have "done a Lambert" by packing the defence at the expense of getting forward.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hippo said:

Agreed we are playing better - but still not good enough for a PL side.

DS appears to have "done a Lambert" by packing the defence at the expense of getting forward.

Lambert did try to play "his" way at least the first season.

Was ok the second season. 3rd season is when he turned into a defensive shit house.

53 minutes ago, holteend1982 said:

We are playing better since the break but tbf you couldn't really get much worse than that Leicester game. 

The bar is f***ing low indeed.

We've scored 1 goal in 4 games. How the f*** are we supposed to stay up?

24 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Lambert did try to play "his" way at least the first season.

Was ok the second season. 3rd season is when he turned into a defensive shit house.

Agreed.

It what Aston Villa does to managers - and why we need an established manager not a promising one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

Don't think I would go as far as to say we've been unlucky.

We played ok against Sheffield United but I don't remember their keeper having too many saves to make.

Against Newcastle we probably edged it but I think a draw was a fair result.

We all remember that ridiculous, over the top positivity after this game. You've just proven that it was all part of your attention seeking agenda. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, hippo said:

Agreed.

It what Aston Villa does to managers - and why we need an established manager not a promising one.

It's what Aston villa managers do because they get bloody hounded out at the first sign of a few bad results. Fergie wouldn't have been able to build his legacy here because he would've been hounded out and sacked during that rough period. It's what, we, as Aston villa fans tend to do and have a reputation for it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, villanmac said:

It just hit me that we actually went into a premier league season with this as our attack (strikers, wingers):

Davis

Wesley

Kodija

El Ghazi

Trezeguet

Jota

Jesus Christ, thats horrific.  

Exactly. 

What real chance did we give ourselves. 

16 hours ago, villanmac said:

It just hit me that we actually went into a premier league season with this as our attack (strikers, wingers):

Davis

Wesley

Kodija

El Ghazi

Trezeguet

Jota

Jesus Christ, thats horrific.  

It's a laughable lineup.

Smith was foolish to insist on three up front every game simply because it meant largely having three of these on every game.

Early in the season we were "OK". But having this troupe of wallies eventually took it's toll. The team lost confidence from never winning and here we are.

13 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

It's what Aston villa managers do because they get bloody hounded out at the first sign of a few bad results. Fergie wouldn't have been able to build his legacy here because he would've been hounded out and sacked during that rough period. It's what, we, as Aston villa fans tend to do and have a reputation for it.

Rubbish.

The most proven manager we appointed Ron Atkinson - he didn't do too bad.

Appoint rookies like Sherwood and Garde and they will get overwhelmed.

Â