Dean Smith

Demitri_C

6 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

Players know how to play football ( they are proffesionals FFS ) what the manager is supposed to do is motovate these same players.Look at ex Villa players like Torere and Allbrighton, both are much better players at different clubs....because they now have managers that know how to get the best out of them.

Or because they were given a bit more time to develop and mature rather than fans jumping on their backs, the managers back and causing a difficult, volatile atmosphere to play football in. Or a bit of both?

19 hours ago, useless said:

When Nuno joined Wolves he didn't have the reputation he has now, he wasn't some unobtainable figure that only a club with a super agent could hope to get, same for most of their players as well. They've just had excellent recruitment over the last three years, but it's not something in theory that other clubs couldn't have done, they haven't spent Man City levels of money or anything like that, for the most part they've been picking up players who weren't getting much game time at their previous clubs and have somehow managed to make a very decent side out of them.

I think we have to do our own thing though, and find our own path to success, don't think it will happen by trying to copy other clubs.

Incorrect.

He was unobtainable. He wasn't coming to a Championship team in the Midlands without his mate promising him he'd give him loads of players far too good for the division.

They don't have "recruitment", they have a super agent giving them all their players. He also secured them their manager. 

There was nothing well-planned or coy about what they've done. They got an agent in who put a brilliant manager and brilliant players there. Would have been nice if it was us, but it wasn't.

They'll likely expand and build from a position of strength now. They'll buy more from outside his circle, he doesn't have an endless pit of top players.

The only thing stopping Wolves is if Mendes wants to move a player on to a Barcelona or something.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Mjvilla said:

Or because they were given a bit more time to develop and mature rather than fans jumping on their backs, the managers back and causing a difficult, volatile atmosphere to play football in. Or a bit of both?

Deffo. And players tend to perform a bit better once they walk into a settled team. You could place absolutely ANY player in our Villa side and they would struggle, cause there's very little cohesiveness about the team. 

50 minutes ago, striker said:

You cannot keep a manager if he has abandoned the philosophy he was employed for.

Throw in his recent record with Villa and you have to come to the conclusion that in the Premiership Smith has been a complete disaster.

You also might want to consider that Smith has only recently buried his father and sacking him during this period might be seen as pretty heartless but I wouldn’t rule out Smith leaving if he losses the next two games which looks pretty likely.

By then though I fear a new manager bounce won’t be enough to save Villa from the drop.

Too late by then to do anything and we may aswell keep Smith!

As usual though, the club like to strike while the Iron is hot!

10 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

No,I mean what I said above.Look at Allbrighton,James Milner and Ashley Young.They all went on to play regular football in decent teams and won titles etc.They went streight from Villa to do that so the difference is that they went from an ordinary manager to teams managed by A-List managers,who know how to motovate players and get the best out of them. 

5 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

No,I mean what I said above.Look at Allbrighton,James Milner and Ashley Young.They all went on to play regular football in decent teams and won titles etc.They went streight from Villa to do that so the difference is that they went from an ordinary manager to teams managed by A-List managers,who know how to motovate players and get the best out of them. 

I'd say milner and young improved ten fold when they were here and earnt their move to bigger clubs (title chasing clubs) to get their titles etc. Not quite sure what you're getting at.

I'd say the 2 examples you gave, what I responded with is spot on tbh.

Edited by Mjvilla

Also before the season Purslow said Dean is the type of manager that if the opponent scores 5 we will try to score 6.

First half of the season we actually saw this approach most weeks. We actually scored a lot of goals for a promoted team and were among the top half teams in terms of goals scored.

Just watched his press conference and he won't stop talking about the defense and how he's worked on making us hard to break down.

So he's definitely gone away from his ways and style.

33 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

James Milner and Ashley Young were top class with us. That's why they got a move to a big club. 

30 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Puss is right though.

Look at the games like Norwich (A) Newcastle (H)

We've seen these players can perform from time to time but Smith isn't getting the most out of them most weeks.

Players have times where they perform better than usual and when they perform worse. When it reverts back to their normal level its not a case of it always having to be someone's fault. 

There is not much evidence to suggest these players can consistently perform to a much higher level.

12 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Also before the season Purslow said Dean is the type of manager that if the opponent scores 5 we will try to score 6.

First half of the season we actually saw this approach most weeks. We actually scored a lot of goals for a promoted team and were among the top half teams in terms of goals scored.

Just watched his press conference and he won't stop talking about the defense and how he's worked on making us hard to break down.

So he's definitely gone away from his ways and style.

We concede alot: you complain about us conceding 2 goals per game average.

We tighten up the defence: you complain that Dean Smith has worked on it.

I don't know what to suggest

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

Players have times where they perform better than usual and when they perform worse. When it reverts back to their normal level its not a case of it always having to be someone's fault. 

There is not much evidence to suggest these players can consistently perform to a much higher level.

Fergie made average players like Cleverley, O'Shea and Wes Brown to perform very well consistently.

Wilder has done the same with mainly a Championship squad.

Edited by villalad21

2 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

We concede alot: you complain about us conceding 2 goals per game average.

We tighten up the defence: you complain that Dean Smith has worked on it.

I don't know what to suggest

Yes i complain a lot because i believe his footballing philosophy is deeply flawed.

Which is why he has gone away from his ways in order to ensure survival.

Just now, villalad21 said:

Yes i complain a lot because i believe his footballing philosophy is deeply flawed.

Which is why he has gone away from his ways in order to ensure survival.

Please elaborate

2 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

Please elaborate

High line. Fullbacks and midfielders bombing forward. Defenders attempting playing out from the back. Playing high risk football.

Leaves you exposed on the counter. Us being the worst defensive side in the league isn't a fluke thing.

Edited by villalad21

4 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

Please elaborate

No please, don't encourage it.

He got so quiet during promotion and even the start of the season.

Now he's back every day.

• Like 1

Our playing out from the back gets us in trouble at least 5 or 6 times every match. Our players aren’t good enough to do it so why the likes of Hause and Konsa keep trying is beyond me. 

This ‘approach’ is most certainly on Smith. 

(One of the few things I blame him for) 

• Like 2

I'm sorry Grealish is proof Smith can't get the best out the players. A player like Grealsh should be stand out almost every game. When we have needed him most this season he has been poor, lazy even. Luiz is a class player, you watch him go to another club and perform like you have never seen.

Motivation is the problem with Smith, he can talk the talk, but we rarely see the full team put a shift in, that's why there's such a argument about the players quality. The whole team is lazy it shows on the pitch, even worse now after lockdown. An this my friends, is down to the manager.

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

Our playing out from the back gets us in trouble at least 5 or 6 times every match. Our players aren’t good enough to do it so why the likes of Hause and Konsa keep trying is beyond me. 

This ‘approach’ is most certainly on Smith. 

(One of the few things I blame him for) 

There is also too little movement and to few players showing for the ball so the CB's have too few options when trying to pass their way out. (Same issue we have at throw ins)

3 minutes ago, sne said:

There is also too little movement and to few players showing for the ball so the CB's have too few options when trying to pass their way out. (Same issue we have at throw ins)

Even Arsenal struggled hard under Unai playing out from the back.

It's a foolish idea if you don't have class players. Certainly is foolish as a newly promoted side.

Â