Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Only just realised how well Brentford are doing this season, it alone doesn’t make Smith a bad manager but you might have liked to think that he really was performing miracles at Brentford.

Sadly it does not seem to be the case, and perhaps far from so.

7 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Only just realised how well Brentford are doing this season, it alone doesn’t make Smith a bad manager but you might have liked to think that he really was performing miracles at Brentford.

Sadly it does not seem to be the case, and perhaps far from so.

They spent more this year than anyone else in the championship including signing probably the best cb in the championship atm. They are much improved because of the money they spent. 

2 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

They spent more this year than anyone else in the championship including signing probably the best cb in the championship atm. They are much improved because of the money they spent. 

Ah okay fair enough, hadn’t paid that much attention as per my OP!

27 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

Only 11 mil net spent i think.

27 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Only 11 mil net spent i think.

But they invested in the best cb in the championship fixing their previous flaws. 6 million for pontus Jansson was an unbelievable deal. 

5 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I hate it when people use net spend to say a club hasn’t spent a lot on players.   You sell a  couple of players for big money and then reinvest it all on new players. It means you have spent a lot! 

Exactly. Net spend is a good way to show how well a club or a manager has done long term. You can't say a club has been bankrolled and bought the league or whatever if they've had a low net spend.

But judging a club's spend in one window on net spend doesn't make sense.

If we get relegated and sell Grealish for £100m. And then spent £111m on new transfers in the Championship, we'd only have a net spend of £11m.
If we then didn't get promoted it wouldn't really be an excuse would it?

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Exactly. Net spend is a good way to show how well a club or a manager has done long term. You can't say a club has been bankrolled and bought the league or whatever if they've had a low net spend.

But judging a club's spend in one window on net spend doesn't make sense.

If we get relegated and sell Grealish for £100m. And then spent £111m on new transfers in the Championship, we'd only have a net spend of £11m.
If we then didn't get promoted it wouldn't really be an excuse would it
?

I'm sure some fans on here could think of some extremely creative reasons as to why it would indeed be a suitable excuse.

Depending on who the manager is of course.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, useless said:

When Nuno joined Wolves he didn't have the reputation he has now, he wasn't some unobtainable figure that only a club with a super agent could hope to get, same for most of their players as well. They've just had excellent recruitment over the last three years, but it's not something in theory that other clubs couldn't have done, they haven't spent Man City levels of money or anything like that, for the most part they've been picking up players who weren't getting much game time at their previous clubs and have somehow managed to make a very decent side out of them.

I think we have to do our own thing though, and find our own path to success, don't think it will happen by trying to copy other clubs.

precisely

You cannot keep a manager if he has abandoned the philosophy he was employed for.

Throw in his recent record with Villa and you have to come to the conclusion that in the Premiership Smith has been a complete disaster.

You also might want to consider that Smith has only recently buried his father and sacking him during this period might be seen as pretty heartless but I wouldn’t rule out Smith leaving if he losses the next two games which looks pretty likely.

By then though I fear a new manager bounce won’t be enough to save Villa from the drop.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, striker said:

You cannot keep a manager if he has abandoned the philosophy he was employed for.

Throw in his recent record with Villa and you have to come to the conclusion that in the Premiership Smith has been a complete disaster.

You also might want to consider that Smith has only recently buried his father and sacking him during this period might be seen as pretty heartless but I wouldn’t rule out Smith leaving if he losses the next two games which looks pretty likely.

By then though I fear a new manager bounce won’t be enough to save Villa from the drop.

I don't think he has abandoned the philosophy he came with......its just a case of better teams pushing us back, we don't win enough personal duels, so the natural tendency is to retreat.....we don't play with intensity, so it follows we end up playing like we do....we give the ball away too much, which is food and drink for premier league teams and we then just sit deep to defend.

Managers get accused of many things as design ,that turn out to be the result of just poor play.

Edited by TRO

22 minutes ago, striker said:

Tends to happen when managers come here.

Pressure and expectations gets to them i think.

12 minutes ago, TRO said:

I don't think he has abandoned the philosophy he came with......its just a case of better teams pushing us back, we don't win enough personal duels, so the natural tendency is to retreat.....we don't play with intensity, so it follows we end up playing like we do....we give the ball away too much, which is food and drink for premier league teams and we then just sit deep to defend.

Managers get accused of many things as design ,that turn out to be the result of just poor play.

He has definitely changed his tactics as of late.

Never seen us playing long balls so often since Samatta and Keinan got introduced into the team.

That isn't a strategy which is Dean's trademark. He has 100 % abandoned his style as of late. Chelsea game was the most telling.

12 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I'm sure some fans on here could think of some extremely creative reasons as to why it would indeed be a suitable excuse.

Depending on who the manager is of course.

See, I don't get this. Because we defend a manager who got us promoted from nowhere, build a whole squad, took us to a cup final and has us with a chance of staying up, we are coming up with extremely creative reasons for excuses? 

I'd say that the criticisms are very creative, and the more sensible approach comes across quite clearly in the defence of smith posts.

Dean Smith's concerns about the fixture congestion according to Sky sports:

"Prior to that, they had played four games in 10 games in a hectic restart to life after the coronavirus lockdown."

Four games in ten games sounds easy, don't know what his problem is 😆

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11677/12020129/dean-smith-aston-villas-fixture-congestion-was-valid-concern?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Just now, Lichfield Dean said:

Dean Smith's concerns about the fixture congestion according to Sky sports:

"Prior to that, they had played four games in 10 games in a hectic restart to life after the coronavirus lockdown."

Four games in ten games sounds easy, don't know what his problem is 😆

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11677/12020129/dean-smith-aston-villas-fixture-congestion-was-valid-concern?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Does the man do anything else but complaining?

Players know how to play football ( they are proffesionals FFS ) what the manager is supposed to do is motovate these same players.Look at ex Villa players like Torere and Allbrighton, both are much better players at different clubs....because they now have managers that know how to get the best out of them.

Â