Dean Smith

Demitri_C

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Yes I think their squad is better than ours but only just

More importantly how many players in Newcastles squad are in their 1st PL season? How many in ours?

That also gets factored in contributing towards making them "better", Newcastle have rode the shit season better than we have

I'm struggling to find a part of the pitch they're better than us on (player by player). They've effectively been playing with 10 men all season with Joe Linton on the field. 

3 minutes ago, TreeVillan said:

He brought up the idea of Smith having the 17th worst squad in the league, if that's all that mattered then replacing a manager halfway through a season would never work, for any team.  

Personally I don’t think that there is a lot more anyone would be able to do with our squad atm

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TreeVillan said:

I'm struggling to find a part of the pitch they're better than us on (player by player). They've effectively been playing with 10 men all season with Joe Linton on the field. 

...and you think Wesley is better?

4 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Smith made many of the transfers.

Heaton, Targett, El Ghazi, Mings, Hause, Konsa, Jota. Also he's had his mind on Engels when he was at Brentford, so i figure that was also his signing.

The rest then:

Nakamba. Not been good enough

Luiz. One of our better players this season.

Guilbert. Also one of our better players

Wesley. I think he is crap but apparently some on here rates him.

Trezeguet. Crap

It was also rumored that many of those “Smith signings” were 2nd, 3rd, and 4th choices. If we had Webster, Phillips, Benhrama, and Maupay we’d likely be sitting where Sheffield are. Phillips fills the role of both Nakamba and Luiz. Maupay covers Wesley and Samatta. Webster covers Konsa and Engels. Benhrama covers Trezeguet and Jota. We needed to fill a squad but we could have gone for potential and cheap for the bench instead of spreading £10-£15 million signings across 3-4 positions. That’s rolling the dice with injuries but it’s better than completely wasting transfer funds. 

• Like 1

Newcastle have a better team than us, none of our players would get in their first eleven except for Grealish and maybe Mings. Basically the Newcastle team is made up of average but solid premier league players, whereas ours is not.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TreeVillan said:

It came from the notion that Bruce should have been given more time whereas Smith shouldn't 

I completely disagree, Bruce did less with a much better team 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NSmith22 said:

It was also rumored that many of those “Smith signings” were 2nd, 3rd, and 4th choices. If we had Webster, Phillips, Benhrama, and Maupay we’d likely be sitting where Sheffield are. Phillips fills the role of both Nakamba and Luiz. Maupay covers Wesley and Samatta. Webster covers Konsa and Engels. Benhrama covers Trezeguet and Jota. We needed to fill a squad but we could have gone for potential and cheap for the bench instead of spreading £10-£15 million signings across 3-4 positions. That’s rolling the dice with injuries but it’s better than completely wasting transfer funds. 

If we had kept the likes of Jedi, Whelan and Adomah as squad players we wouldn't have to make as many signings and Smith could have focused on his main targets instead of rushing to assemble a squad.

Just now, villalad21 said:

If we had kept the likes of Jedi, Whelan and Adomah as squad players we wouldn't have to make as many signings and Smith could have focused on his main targets instead of rushing to assemble a squad.

And we would also be bottom and already relegated 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, VillaCas said:

...and you think Wesley is better?

Wesley will turn out to be a good player under a decent manager. Smith had no idea, to much emphasis on Grealish to be the main man, than to concentrate on Wesley's game

Personally I think a cricket score to LIverpool and I don't see how he can keep his job.

Edited by foreveryoung
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, useless said:

Newcastle have a better team than us, none of our players would get in their first eleven except for Grealish and maybe Mings. Basically the Newcastle team is made up of average but solid premier league players, whereas ours is not.

That's something that definately needs worked on for next season - if we manage to survive this one first.

5 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Wesley will turn out to be a good player under a decent manager. Smith had no idea, to much emphasis on Grealish to be the main man, than to concentrate on Wesley's game

Personally I think a cricket score to LIverpool and I don't see how he can keep his job.

I would like to see what another manager could do with Wesley and Samatta in a different system.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I would like to see what another manager could do with Wesley and Samatta in a different system.

I’d like to see both healthy and played together. Smith never got that opportunity. 

7 hours ago, Mjvilla said:

It's what Aston villa managers do because they get bloody hounded out at the first sign of a few bad results. Fergie wouldn't have been able to build his legacy here because he would've been hounded out and sacked during that rough period. It's what, we, as Aston villa fans tend to do and have a reputation for it.

I totally disagree.......there is a few bad results and a losing run where you accrue 19 defeats.....there is a clear difference that you have failed to acknowledge. You have chosen to take a real watered down version of our season.

Fergie went through a period where results were not what Man utd fans were used to, hence their disapproval, but that cup game at Oxford, i think, where Mark Robins goal turned his fortunes around...and the rest is history.

In my opinion.....We have shown things in a game, that are worrying, for me and I have mentioned them so many times, all season......not expecting any change to them on Sunday.

I think the Villa fans have shown a willingness to get behind their teams, only when players show an unwillingness to compete or allow opponents acres of space, do they show displeasure.....getting beat is something, we have to accept on occasions, showing a lack of fight or a tendency to shy away from the physicality of the game, is something villa fans will not tolerate.

For me the atmosphere at Villa Park usually represents what they see on the pitch.

I remember the Tranmere game in the cup, where we had to come from behind to win.....The fans stayed with the team, why? Because the team showed the spirit to compete.

Its the team that has to give encouragement to the fans and then they get it back.....just that one, tackle, that one goal, thats all it takes to spark them off......but standing off, not challenging and offering space gift wrapped, they will show their darker side.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

And we would also be bottom and already relegated 

We are getting relegated anyways so either way it would have been money saved, or used better elsewhere.

Edited by villalad21

33 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Newcastle are organized and difficult to break down. That's why they are where they are.

Their team is actually crap apart from Maximin. Wouldn't take any of their players apart from him.

Jonjo shelvey?

Â