Dean Smith

Demitri_C

12 hours ago, useless said:

Unless we go on an amazing run of form between now and the end of the season Smith will lose his job along with Pitarch.

It's a shame that we might have to endure a horror show up until then.

28 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Smith confirms the signings he wants from Suso this had been confirmed. Suso would not just bring random signings in for Smith not to have any input.

Of course.

Blaming Suso for all our problems is just another excuse to protect Smith with.

Everyone is to blame for the situation for the place we find ourselves in the league we find.

Suso, Pitarch and Smith should all be made accountable for what has been a very poor.

From when we went up in May last year the planning was already going on behind the scenes....trust me...i do some work for team in league 2 and already they are looking at players for the next season to get in and the season after..players with one year deals that need scouting for example.  Villa would have known on the unbeaten run in Feb last year that we were in a chance of going up and that they should plan now....not in the summer.

The recruitment process has been poor....i'm all for players with potential but you cannot have a whole team in the prem or championship to that matter that is effectively learning its trade still.  Yes we lost a lot of players last summer but did we really need to replace each one....at some point the board should have realised that yes we needed quantity but there needed to be an element of quality in there too and that simply wasn't addressed.

Buying championship players...reserves in struggling terms only gives you one thing...a championship team which is where we find ourselves heading.  This doesn't mean that I expected the season to be a easy ride...far from it...However, I keep reading about who's fault it is...smith....the board etc etc.

That brings me on to Smith...are they his players...some say yes...some say no...the fact is come August 2029 the squad was what it was.

And this is the main issue with all of it.  Regardless of the quality..good or bad....the numbers....Smith throughout this season has not addressed the things that been showing in all 30 games....basics....WE WERE NOT GOING TO SET THE LEAGUE ALIGHT WITH 'BARCA' type football....so what do you do...you make us had to beat....not addressed....we work had on the press....not addressed.....we look after the ball better....not addressed......recognising when to make changes during the game...definitely not addresses...recognising mistakes..players out of position...the persistent three in  midfield...not addressed.

Had some of these been looked at im sure we would have had a few more points in the bag...not much more...but enough not to be concerned with relegation.  I'm sorry to say this wont change next season if we go down....when we were in championship it got papered over because we were winning games...but lets look at these games......bit like this year.....low possession...allowing teams to play...the difference...the quality of opposition in the championship and the we had an inform Grealish...McGinn...Mings...Abraham to cover it up.

I said last time we went down it would be 5 years before we came up...ok....we there for three...with that run..but then we had the players...we wont this time...Grealish is off.....and the potential of Mings...McGinn too.....that leaves us with a very poor squad and I don't trust the board to replace them sufficiently and Smith to get a tune out them to come back anytime soon.  I do fear it will be 5 years this time round as we go through the same process of buying poor...sacking the manager...waste another season...start again.

Its a big summer for the club...if anyone in club has any doubts it says it all about Smith and that he needs to be replaced.  With who.....that's the question...and a big one at that????????????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

Of course.

Blaming Suso for all our problems is just another excuse to protect Smith with.

This.

Take a look at this thread in Feb last year it was the same story. "The players aren't good enough", "Smith has been dealt a bad hand, he can't polish a turd" ,"Smith inherited Bruce's crap players".

With the exception of that good run of a dozen or so games last year we have been pretty turgid under Smith, can't keep blaming it on the players. The coaching and set up is a big issue.

• Like 1

I'm not sure where I stand, I'm not happy with the way we play, and the way we defend. That's on him.

But am I too quickly forgetting that for the best part of a decade we were a basket case. Run top to bottom terribly. Our first team was shite, youth teams in decline (over time), poor recruitment, poor manager choices. Owners with no care or no idea. CEO's who were complete numpties. 

I believe that we'll playing in the Championship next season, but I don't see that as disaster. 

This year will hurt the owners pockets more than anything else. As long as they let us spend the 'Jack' money, we should be fine.... IF lessons are learned and we recruit better we will have a decent team. 

Then IF we go back up we won't need the amount of players we did this season (at a guess 13 came in). 

Going down is not a disaster, I actually think with the way the PL is heading being a yoyo club is about as exciting as it gets.

Edited by Villan_of_oz
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

Is he being investigated by the club?

Think he means that his job is being evaluated.

Pretty sure this goes for Smith as well only that they are not going to act before the season is over.

Edited by sne

12 minutes ago, sne said:

Think he means that his job is being evaluated.

Pretty sure this goes for Smith as well only that they are not going to act before the season is over.

It's frustrating that's for sure.

So many questions being asked of the club at the moment on all levels in many directions.

It's definately nail biting moments. I don't want to see relegation knowing something could have maybe been done about it months ago.

12 months ago we were a season ahead of scehdule, so if we are relegated, where does that leave us?

Edited by AvfcRigo82

12 minutes ago, TRO said:

You don't read things properly do you, then go off on a tangent of answering what you think you have read.

Now read carefully what I am writing and don't twist it to suit your agenda.

Answer.........Do I want him back?  No........ and this is how I saw it tenure with us........I was never really excited in the first place, but respected the clubs decision and like all managers, inc Dean Smith, was prepared to give them a chance.

In the first place, I was relieved to see a haemorraging of goals cease, he stopped the rot and we finished 13th....The next season we won 24 games and just missed out on promotion by the odd goal, (also bringing in a player I thought, we was past attracting and in the face of much competition from other clubs) not a convincing performance by any stretch of the imagination and the fans were justifiably frustrated at missing out on promotion....That sent the club in to freefall, and exposed the fraud Dr whojar, Steve sadly lost both parents in close proximity and I think he lost the will for it all....all the loan players went back and we was left with bare bones, with a club no money to pay bills and an owner, who went in to self exile, leaving a young kid to runs things with just his handle on the language for salvation. steve was the boy with his finger in the dam.......He started the next season with some patched up team and once again a series of poor decisions engulfed us, by the time we got in to the season it was clear time was up, we was shadow of the team from last season and the football was putrid.....He had to go and I was glad the decision was made.

Oh sorry, I didn't answer why I defended him so much......Deep down, I didn't want to, because I didn't like his football style either.....It was simply so many unfair accusations made at him ( IMO) that I felt duty bound to call them out.....didn't make me right either, by the way.

There, does that explain very briefly my thoughts? on Steve Bruce.......so in order to continue your little agenda, you will have to come up with something else....all the best with your composing.

I'm surprised you don't think it's unfair to constantly snipe at Smith then. There are far more caveats as to why he's not getting results compared to any Villa manager since Lambert.

He took us up when we probably weren't ready. The squad was literally non-existent.

He's had an entirely new team built for him by a charlatan who can't judge a player and has done nothing for us but line agent pockets.

Yes, we're struggling. Yes, he's been poor. Yes, I'd look to replace him if we stay up!

But some of the criticism is laughable. How do you think we'd do with Klopp in charge of this team? With Bruce? We'd be in a relegation battle because they aren't good enough. We didn't even have a striker for most the season!

If we stay up (we won't, we're going down), I'm certain you wouldn't be happy in the summer if we just brought in a new manager and went again with this lot.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

I'm surprised you don't think it's unfair to constantly snipe at Smith then. There are far more caveats as to why he's not getting results compared to any Villa manager since Lambert.

He took us up when we probably weren't ready. The squad was literally non-existent.

He's had an entirely new team built for him by a charlatan who can't judge a player and has done nothing for us but line agent pockets.

Yes, we're struggling. Yes, he's been poor. Yes, I'd look to replace him if we stay up!

But some of the criticism is laughable. How do you think we'd do with Klopp in charge of this team? With Bruce? We'd be in a relegation battle because they aren't good enough. We didn't even have a striker for most the season!

If we stay up (we won't, we're going down), I'm certain you wouldn't be happy in the summer if we just brought in a new manager and went again with this lot.

Klopp is a wizard who gets a lot out of very little.

We would definitely sit mid table under him.

31 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

• I like the guy as a person, not sure if he comes across strong enough for me, but thats just me.....( did you actually see Franks face last night after their defeat, he was physically seething, holding it back, despite defending his team on the whole)
  • We went on a ten game winning run and created history in doing so, not ready, he deserved credit for turning us around, no doubt, we then spent £140 mill, sure we lost a very important player and now don't we know it....but we should be ready.
  • On the surface it looks like you are right and i have no interest in defending him....but we have to know the detail to be sure.....I would suspect the same as you have.
  • We are never going to sign ready made players for this level, we can't attract them, so we have to have a manager who can get improvement form them individually and collectively, like Nuno has done......yeah we need that level of manager.
  • Its opinions....I think the top managers would keep us up and turn in performances that would challenge some of the top teams, maybe they would struggle with consistency, like Dean, but in one off games, I think they would do better.....My main gripe is the players are too much the same as opposed to not being not good enough, its a bit of both of course but Dean does not have enough contrast individually to make significant change......I have real issues with recruitment, have done for some time, way before Dean Smith....I don't like the smell of this format, we are with now.
  • Let me make this clear, on one hand, I don't want Dean Smith to go, because it means we have failed once again, but results don't lie.....I never wanted any manager to go, they are presumably doing their best and we as fans don't get to know what they are up against really, I have no idea what to expect next season as I don't know what the club is thinking.....If what I suspect, that we sign players with one eye on the finance as opposed to being sure he right for the team,in terms of balance, irrespective of age or experience, then I guess i might be in for a long wait, for what I expect, in terms of progress.

I have a real worry, based on nothing really, just snippets, but Wes Edens worries me a bit.....I think our recruitment has been set up to please him and being the sugar daddy, he can do what he likes.....if ,my suspicions are right, its going to make it mighty difficult for a manager to building a fighting machine that can deal with all the eventualities of the arduous league.....He might think its " so darn simple" but so far its proved its not......I would love a manager of ours to have the same success of buying and developing players like Nuno has done, I had never heard of him before Wolves......but I have a horrible suspicion, we do not have a policy to do that and thats where.....Edens and Purslow, give me the hebbie jebbies.

Edited by TRO

6 minutes ago, TRO said:

I have a real worry, based on nothing really, just snippets, but Wes Edens worries me a bit.....I think our recruitment has been set up to please him and being the sugar daddy, he can do what he likes.....if ,my suspicions are right, its going to make it mighty difficult for a manager to building a fighting machine that can deal with all the eventualities of the arduous league.....He might think its " so darn simple" but so far its proved its not......I would love a manager of ours to have the same success of buying and developing players like Nuno has done, I had never heard of him before Wolves......but I have a horrible suspicion, we do not have a policy to do that and thats where.....Edens and Purslow, give me the hebbie jebbies.

We won't be getting a manager as good as Nuno or players as good as his gang of clients until we have a super agent doing all our dealings.

Wolves have won the lottery. They are unique. It's Roman turning up at Chelsea before FFP. They're going to get transformed. Shame it wasn't us.

Recruitment is easy. Only buy good players. Don't buy bad players. Get rid of Suso, bring in some data guys to compliment scouts.

Things have gone well for Wolves but their situation is hardly comparable to Abromovich taking over Chelsea, they'll have no where near the level of success that Chelsea have had, in fact if Wolves fail to get into champions league this season then they won't get as good of a opportunity again.

At best I think they could have a spell of success similar to what Tottenham have had in recent years, and maybe win a trophy, but it could just as easily go the opposite way, and they could become no better than a midtable premier league side. Mendes has helped them, but at the same time the reliance on him could also work against them.

There's also their ownership issue, you get the feeling that Fosun could sell them at any moment at the Chinese goverment's behest, put it this way, I wouldn't swap our owners for theirs.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

We won't be getting a manager as good as Nuno or players as good as his gang of clients until we have a super agent doing all our dealings.

Wolves have won the lottery. They are unique. It's Roman turning up at Chelsea before FFP. They're going to get transformed. Shame it wasn't us.

Recruitment is easy. Only buy good players. Don't buy bad players. Get rid of Suso, bring in some data guys to compliment scouts.

you say that, we have had them in the past.

I guess you could make a case for every team above 10th place and say they do this that and the other, we can't do that.

We have to find a way of shaking off this " No can do" attitude and start employing the " Can do" one.

• Like 2

When Nuno joined Wolves he didn't have the reputation he has now, he wasn't some unobtainable figure that only a club with a super agent could hope to get, same for most of their players as well. They've just had excellent recruitment over the last three years, but it's not something in theory that other clubs couldn't have done, they haven't spent Man City levels of money or anything like that, for the most part they've been picking up players who weren't getting much game time at their previous clubs and have somehow managed to make a very decent side out of them.

I think we have to do our own thing though, and find our own path to success, don't think it will happen by trying to copy other clubs.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, useless said:

When Nuno joined Wolves he didn't have the reputation he has now, he wasn't some unobtainable figure that only a club with a super agent could hope to get, same for most of their players as well. They've just had excellent recruitment over the last three years, but it's not something in theory that other clubs couldn't have done, they haven't spent Man City levels of money or anything like that, for the most part they've been picking up players who weren't getting much game time at their previous clubs and have somehow managed to make a very decent side out of them.

I think we have to do our own thing though, and find our own path to success, don't think it will happen by trying to copy other clubs.

Nuno did an excellent job at Valencia, he was definitely known in Europe as an effective manager. Before this his tactical game wasnt anything brilliant he was more of a MON style motivator but he has added some tactical skill to his repertoire

I know Nuno was known, but he'd just been sacked by Porto for failing and the Valencia fans protest against him. I don't think today's equivalent of him as he was when he joined Wolves, would be unobtainable to us or most other premier league sides, or even a well backed championship side, as Wolves were back then and presumably we will be if we go down.

2 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

How do you think we'd do with Klopp in charge of this team?

Not this rubbish again!

How about, would Liverpool have won the league with Smith in charge? Not a chance.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, jim said:

Not this rubbish again!

How about, would Liverpool have won the league with Smith in charge? Not a chance.

Where do you think Smith would finish with Liverpool's squad?

I'd say around 7th-6th

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Where do you think Smith would finish with Liverpool's squad?

I'd say around 7th-6th

He might scrape top 4 if he's lucky. 

Â