Dean Smith

Demitri_C

17 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

Problem is, there were calls to go 2 up top, we do and then the comments are 'he keeps chopping and changing', 'he doesn't know his best side', 'we are still shit'.

Damned if he does and damned if he don't.

Not a dig at you by the way tomaszk

I noted tactical inflexibility as an issue in the Championship on here. Been disappointing Smith doesn't have more about his game in that regard.

Doesn't have to be different formations, just find one that works when what you're doing isn't. Large part of Sheffield Utd is their system. Fits all their players so well and has been drilled brilliantly by the manager. It's so good. Ben Osborn a squad player from Forest with zero starts comes in against Spurs the other day. Support all around him, options in every direction. Slotted into centre mid no problems.

I've said many times I'd replace Smith if we stay up. I think he's in a battle to keep his job either way to be honest. We're going to get tanked the next few games. The owners will send him on his way if we end the season with a series of thrashings.

Edited by Tomaszk

3 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

And they've made fantastic progress to this year where they are well clear of the relegation battle, oh....

Constantly chopping/changing managers is never a good thing to do.

In modern times I would say it is.

Indeed we were never going up last season had we not made the change.

+ It could be this season that all 3 relegated clubs stuck with there manager - where as the two above who made the change avoided relegation 

Edited by hippo

I wouldnt be surprised if Smith quit at the end of the season regardless of what we did, think he might want spend time with his family after what happened to his Dad during lockdown

8 minutes ago, Zatman said:

compared to 11 in 4 games

Maybe he should just throw in the towel like some fans have

Well it looks like we have already, I haven’t seen any fight or determination to win for some time. 

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I wouldnt be surprised if Smith quit at the end of the season regardless of what we did, think he might want spend time with his family after what happened to his Dad during lockdown

That would surprise me tbh. DS quitting is highly unlikely - it's the club he loves plus he would kiss goodbye to a four year pay off should he get the push.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

And they've made fantastic progress to this year where they are well clear of the relegation battle, oh....

Constantly chopping/changing managers is never a good thing to do.

Ermm - they have made a manergial change this season ?

9 minutes ago, hippo said:

In modern times I would say it is.

+ It could be this season that all 3 relegated clubs stuck with there manager - where as the two above who made the change avoided relegation 

So, if villa stay up this season and next year at this stage of the season we sit 1 point above the relegation zone you would call this 'fantastic progress'.

RUBBISH

9 minutes ago, Zatman said:

No chance and nor should he.  His Dad would have wanted him to carry on I'm sure.

11 minutes ago, hippo said:

You don't know that for sure.

Only 2 points off 6th after Bruce last game. We were there or thereabouts.

• Haha 1

Dean Smith is one of us, no denying. He's going to do his all to keep this club in the Premier League. But, if the players aren't good enough there's not much he can do. 

Could another manager with more experience have done better, possibly. But, in my opinion, the lack of experience everywhere across the club has resulted in this struggle for survival. 

I have no doubts in my mind that if we go down the player recruitment will include a few more older/wiser heads in the team/squad. Also, if the owners decide to stay with Deano, I think that he will want more of a say in player recruitment both next season and if we were to go back up. 

18 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

You don't know that for sure.

Only 2 points off 6th after Bruce last game. We were there or thereabouts.

We won the opening 2 then went on a run of 1 win in 9. Against the majority of poor sides in the league. We won 3 in 11. Not promotion form 

In deans first 10 games, we win 5. Pretty dramatic turn of form there if you ask me. Against tougher opponents.

Edited by Mjvilla
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

We won the opening 2 then went on a run of 1 win in 9. Against the majority of poor sides in the league. We won 3 in 11. Not promotion form 

The Championship is like that. You hit good and bad spells.

He was sacked in October. Very early in the season, but it was evident the new board wanted their "own" appointment.

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

He was sacked in October. Very early in the season, but it was evident the new board wanted their "own" appointment.

Just so happens the form dramatically turned when we changed manager and Smith took over. Funny that

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

Just so happens the form dramatically turned when we changed manager and Smith took over. Funny that

We may have had the same manager bounce if we had sacked Smith this season ;) 

Anyways formed turned dramatically..really?

5 games after Bruce:

Milwall (A) L

Swansea (H) W

Norwich (A) L

QPR (A) L

Bolton (H) W

Edited by villalad21

7 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Do you think we should have kept Bruce on? If not then whats the point of the argument

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

Do you think we should have kept Bruce on? If not then whats the point of the argument

In hindsight probably yes.

Y'all keep saying it was too early for us to get promoted and that we ain't ready.

But who knows? Bruce could still have ended up getting us promoted. We were 2 points off 6th. It's a very tight league.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

We may have had the same manager bounce if we had sacked Smith this season ;) 

Anyways formed turned dramatically..really?

5 games after Bruce:

Milwall (A) L

Swansea (H) W

Norwich (A) L

QPR (A) L

Bolton (H) W

Smith took over Swansea. So, forget Millwall. Interesting you stop at Bolton too... Show the next 5.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Mjvilla said:

Smith took over Swansea. So, forget Millwall. Interesting you stop at Bolton too... Show the next 5.

The Championship is like that.

We went on a good run. Then Jack got injured and we won 2/12 games. Then we went on a winning run again.

The league is like a roller coaster. Ultimately we finished 5th, which isn't great based on the players we had. I'd argue our squad last season was better than our current squad.

5 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

Block him life is easier . 

Â