Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Yes we agree the players are not the best, but if we got quality players in at every position anyone could do the bloody job. Smith is supposed to be a great tactical coach. The worse thing about the squad is the tactics and that Smith don't know his best team. The England team used to be like this, great players but not used to playing with one another. We are still not used to playing with each other, no one ever knows where the players are gonna be, because Smith from day one has changed the team nearly every game. Too much swapping and changing causes big problems. inconsistency, an we have this in abondence.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Eastie said:

The problem is there are problems in all areas of the pitch ,  the keeper is a calamity , the defence far too easily dragged out of position and always liable to make howlers , the midfield is powder puff and lacks both steel and creativity , the strikers are goal shy and the wide men couldn’t deliver a letter ,  disjointed and devoid of any belief , a poor poor team with a coach to match . 

😂 so true. We’ve assembled a fine shit sandwich havent we. Peak Villa style

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Yes we agree the players are not the best, but if we got quality players in at every position anyone could do the bloody job. Smith is supposed to be a great tactical coach. The worse thing about the squad is the tactics and that Smith don't know his best team. The England team used to be like this, great players but not used to playing with one another. We are still not used to playing with each other, no one ever knows where the players are gonna be, because Smith from day one has changed the team nearly every game. Too much swapping and changing causes big problems. inconsistency, an we have this in abondence.

So by this logic managers like Pep and Klopp are not required? Just get some random out the stands to run things?

1 hour ago, pintpotvilla said:

Really hope Brentford come up this season, they really deserve to, a really well run club that plays good football.

Cheers for that let’s hope we can be playing Villa if we go up 

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

And it kept us up 😉

True but if we were well run we would have thanked him very much at the end of the season and got in a proper manager. But we weren’t well run then and continued to be badly run until the Xia disaster. Hopefully we are now, remains to be seen. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brentfordnylons said:

Smith leaving us for Villa was always going to be a none brainer and most fans understood that.Yes we have finally sorted out our defence and Inproved the team in general due to our biggest ever spend in the summer transfer window.

You also got a fair bit in though for Maupay and Konsa - what was your net spend ? 
Pontus Jansen looked a good signing .

Watching the Watford game, we so need a bloody win, god know where it's gonna come from though. Gonna need a team to feel sorry for us I think, but then we will still struggle. I think Bruce tried his best to lose against us.

1 minute ago, foreveryoung said:

Watching the Watford game, we so need a bloody win, god know where it's gonna come from though. Gonna need a team to feel sorry for us I think, but then we will still struggle. I think Bruce tried his best to lose against us.

Just discussed that with a friend , saints seem a well run club , they recruit well , and when they sell players they spend well and make good profits , Seem to find good managers too , if only we were run as well on the recruitment side . 

24 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Just discussed that with a friend , saints seem a well run club , they recruit well , and when they sell players they spend well and make good profits , Seem to find good managers too , if only we were run as well on the recruitment side . 

And they kept hold of a manager after a horrible run of form and a record breaking home defeat. Just saying

• Like 1

We were actually linked to Hasenhüttl when Bruce was sacked, but was seen as one of those appointments that might have been overly ambitous considering our positon at the time.

I can only think a lot of it is to do with manager choice. We have made some shocking managerial appointments since our demise. Imagine if we could have kept Houllier or someone even better, I doubt we would be in the position we are now. I think this is because, an you can say what you like, most managers have a huge input into recruitment. A quality manager is not only good with tactics, motivation, he is good with recruitment, he knows how to spot a player, an as we all know, this is a major part of managing a football team and a huge part of our disappointment.

No disrespect to our guy, but with his limited experience this is gonna be a big problem and has been with all our previous managers. Maybe they haven't seen enough, like Houllier, Poch, BENITEZ, yes we have Suso, but does a Sporting director really know what type of player a team needs, they would hardly ever work with a manager the likes of Guardiola. Could Smith over rule him, maybe, maybe not, but from what I have heard though, he signs off all the players Suso scouts, an I believe it, it would certainly save the manager blaming the recruitment when thing go tits up, like they have......

Getting promoted was probably the worst thing to happen to Smith. If we spent another season in the Champo building this squad and building on the exciting football we were playing, I reckon we'd be in a much better position upon promotion. The kicker is that we had to go up or suffer untold financial misery, and so Smith had to do all that while trying to build a brand new squad in the most unforgiving league in the world, not helped by some baffling recruitment choices (what was the point of Trezeguet?). 

To go from the optimism and excitement of November 2018 to the elation and feel good factor of the club through May 2019, to the deflation of today is so depressing. Is the PL really the be all, end all? If he has to fall on his sword for not turning us into a midtable side in his first PL season with all the extenuating circumstances, to make way for some firefighter manager like Allardyce, I might just be done with football for a while. I'd rather go down to the Championship with him and play good football and win games again then claw our way out of circling the drain of this morally bankrupt league.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Â