Dean Smith

Demitri_C

8 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

But if Smith sat back and had his belly tickled when it came to recruitment, what's that say about him ?

It says he's head coach and not the manager. As someone in a similar position in a different vocation, I sympathise with him. Sometimes it can be very frustrating working with what you've been given. 

8 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Eh? The goal Newcastle scored was just awful defending from us. Nothing unlucky about that. We were just shit. Our goal the keeper just let it go straight through him.

But that wasn't really the point. The OP said the subs changed the game. I guess technically that's true but it was a fluke of a goal really. It's not like the subs changed the game tactically and carved us out a point. It was basically luck.

I think his changes put us back on the front foot, we put much more pressure on them, which led to the goal. 

It was an error from their keeper, but without us taking back control of the game and having more chances, then he doesn't make that error. 

For me I wouldn't call it a fluke. A fluke was our winner against Watford but no one really complained about that being lucky. 

Well thats us truly fecked then sticking with smith. Guy cant win  a game to save his life. One league win since January. He constantly says we will be better but are not.

A hopeless premier league manager that needs to be sacked aa soon as the season ends. I bet his record since janaury is as bad as bruces before he got removed

• Like 1

I said befpre the season started this would go to the wire. Survival, and a successful season, could easily be determined by 1 point or goal difference. 

Now obviously nobody predicted how this season would turn out with covid-19 and evrrything. But in the end of it, we got a championship squad and that's the crux of it. 

Like someone said earlier, just accept we're likely relegated at this point and consider we need a few more years to mature as a club before reestablishing us in the top flight. It will make watching us a better experience. 

I have zero problems with Deano. But I do however have problems with our recruitment and any preperations for the championship campaign needs to adress that. That we spent £ 30 million on Wes and Trez is just bonkers. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

I think his changes put us back on the front foot, we put much more pressure on them, which led to the goal. 

It was an error from their keeper, but without us taking back control of the game and having more chances, then he doesn't make that error. 

For me I wouldn't call it a fluke. A fluke was our winner against Watford but no one really complained about that being lucky. 

I’m not complaining that it was lucky. I was thrilled. I just don’t think the subs changed the game. 

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Well thats us truly fecked then sticking with smith. Guy cant win  a game to save his life. One league win since January. He constantly says we will be better but are not.

If he cant win a game to save his life, how does he have 1 league win since January 🤔

7 hours ago, MikeAVFC said:

That's that then. Percy is always bang on. 

Hope fleetwood get up , would be nice to spend a weekend in Blackpool next season - least it says the next 6 games so hopefully he will be turfed out at the end of the season and we can plan ahead , I’d love to see jardim get the job but please let’s be ambitious and no more of the smith , lambert, Bruce types 

10 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

But if Smith sat back and had his belly tickled when it came to recruitment, what's that say about him ?

Maybe Smith trusted Suso to do his job? Suso failed. If Smith learns from that great, if not then I would agree with you

9 hours ago, useless said:

Earlier in the season when things were looking better, people were praising our recruitment and giving Smith credit for it, any player that was deemed to be playing well he'd get the credit, and if a player doing badly it would be blamed on Suso, now that they're all performing badly the recruitment is all Suso's fault.

The fact that we were performing better earlier in the season evidence is in itself that our team isn't as bad as people like to make out in defence of Smith, and there should be enough there to perform better than they have over the last ten or so games.

This just isn’t the case!

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Anyone who says he is a complete disaster is way way off the mark. 

But similarly, anyone saying he’s doing a good job at the moment is also way off the mark. 

As usual the reality is somewhere in between the two VillaTalk extremes. 

I think he has been a disaster in the premier league but not a COMPLETE disaster as a manager for us as he got us promoted and was decent at championship level. Our last win premier league  win was a fluke last minute goal.

He has been a complete failure for me i  2020 and he is being shown how limited a manager he is as he has very  little tactical knowledge when it comes to try win a game.

Lets not forget he has failed to even win a game against ten men on multiple occasions this season. I still am angry how he managed to lose us that arsenal game when they went down to ten men

Edited by Demitri_C
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, thejoker said:

Interesting that it says for the final 6 games. Hardly a massive show of support in the long term. 

It’s not the club saying “for the final 6 games” or the dreaded vote of confidence! I don’t see how you can draw a conclusion from this information 

6 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I think he has been a disaster in the premier league but not a COMPLETE disaster as a manager for us as he got us promoted and was decent at championship level. Our last win premier league  win was a fluke last minute goal.

He has been a complete failure for me i  2020 and he is being shown how limited a manager he is as he has very  little tactical knowledge when it comes to try win a game.

Lets not forget he has failed to even win a game against ten men on multiple occasions this season. I still am angry how he managed to lose us that arsenal game when they went down to ten men

Its been poor but disaster is extremely OTT. What were your season expectations? 

Playoff winning teams aim to survive, we are pretty much still alive. Relegation in 2015/16 in October was a disaster 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Anyone who says he is a complete disaster is way way off the mark. 

But similarly, anyone saying he’s doing a good job at the moment is also way off the mark. 

As usual the reality is somewhere in between the two VillaTalk extremes. 

I don’t think anyone is saying he is doing a good job? Circumstances mean that it is an uphill struggle for him but I still have a little more patience for him. 

6 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Its been poor but disaster is extremely OTT. What were your season expectations? 

Playoff winning teams aim to survive, we are pretty much still alive. Relegation in 2015/16 in October was a disaster 

Â