Dean Smith

Demitri_C

39 minutes ago, Spoony said:

What if he does keep us up? That’s the minimum (possibly even maximum) expectation right? With a squad as shit as ours (which isn’t actually Smith’s fault), it wouldn’t be a bad season just to stay in the league. 

If he keeps us up from this position that would be a tremendous achievement along with a league cup final to boot. However that is still looking like a tall order unless we start winning soon.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Spoony said:

What if he does keep us up? That’s the minimum (possibly even maximum) expectation right? With a squad as shit as ours (which isn’t actually Smith’s fault), it wouldn’t be a bad season just to stay in the league. 

If its not his fault, who's fault is it?He has to take the responsibility for our team affairs.......managers take on these jobs knowing, the buck stops with them....they get paid handsomely for that responsibility.....and Dean knows only too well, its a results business.

I remember, many fans defending Lambert, with all sorts of claims and where is he now after flirting around clubs, with no success, (RDM had his sympathisers and Remi Garde had snowflakes, saying what a bum hand he had).......Dean will do the same, if he is relieved of the post.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

If its not his fault, who's fault is it?He has to take the responsibility for our team affairs.......managers take on these jobs knowing, the buck stops with them....they get paid handsomely for that responsibility.....and Dean knows only too well, its a results business.

I remember, many fans defending Lambert, with all sorts of claims and where is he now after flirting around clubs, with no success, (RDM had his sympathisers and Remi Garde had snowflakes, saying what a bum hand he had).......Dean will do the same, if he is relieved of the post.

My point is it’s not his fault that the squad is shit as he isn’t in charge of recruitment

45 minutes ago, Spoony said:

Playing devils advocate a bit as I know our performances have been shit, but 2 points against Sheff United and away at Newcastle isn’t bad. And no one can really expect us to beat Chelsea.

Arguably not a bad restart at all and we are level on points with 17th...

Nah sorry I’m not having it. I know what you’re saying but it’s not just results. We’ve been awful. 

And let’s be honest, the two points have come from a game we should have lost due to a shocking technological failure, and a game tonight where the keeper threw one in his net. 

We’ve been worse than ever since the restart and we’re going to be relegated. 

I like Smith and I’ve not really got an issue with him keeping his job even if we go down. 
But he’s not doing a good job right now. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Spoony said:

My point is it’s not his fault that the squad is shit as he isn’t in charge of recruitment

When you take on a job like Villa, you have to do your own due dilligence, you have to evaluate what resources you have to meet the expectations....unless the personal  plan is 2 years and aim for the compo.....you have to ensure there is a reasonable resource,( that could be funds, players and youth) to stay in the job, before you make your mark....it then becomes a tad easier in terms of growing your own presence and profile.....After promotion and a cup final, I do not see a manager who has grown his own profile or presence with us....would they now let him loose with a task of buying players, NO.

anyone taking on us, will want to be sure they have a reasonable input in to who is coming in and have a say in it......players have to be loyal to the manager, who are ours going to be loyal to...Suso? or Purslow?

If you want them to run through brick walls for you, they need to know, you brought them there.

I don't care, what the modern game does.....I will bet you the Klopps and Guardiola's and the Mourinho's have a huge say in who is coming in......The dog is only Loyal to the Man who feeds him....Mourinho is a classic for saying "they play for me" and when they don't, he lets them know and it gets personal at times.

for what its worth, I don't get that feeling that our players think like that....I don't feel that respect....He looks disconnected with them at times, like I have asked them to do it, but they don't.

I remember Gabby getting a ticking off by one of our managers RDM ,i think and Gabby said " I'll be here longer than you"......you can't be successful with those carryings on......I smell a similar situation.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, KMitch said:

Mourinho would struggle to coach this dreadful squad... We were better last season with Tuanzebe, Abraham, and Whelan in the team.  

Grealish, Heaton, Mings, & McGinn are Premier League players.  The rest aren't good enough.  

Sorry, I have to question McGinn in that list.

1 minute ago, SuffolkVillan said:

Sorry, I have to question McGinn in that list.

Before his injury, he was one of the best players in the league...  Short memories around here...

4 minutes ago, KMitch said:

Before his injury, he was one of the best players in the league...  Short memories around here...

Time will tell, I like JM but I do think he is limited and PL teams have easily worked him out. Obviously we hold different views. Dougie Luiz on the other hand is growing into a decent PL player.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, KMitch said:

I'd say for the first 4 games of the season, he looked good, but way before his injury, he was garbage tbh

Three goals and two assists in our first eleven games and then he picked up an injury which he was playing through, which is why his form faded a bit. As he gets more games he will improve.

7 minutes ago, KMitch said:

No, they haven't figured him out.  He's rusty after being out of the team for 6 months...

Get him some WD40 then.

That video makes me think we'd be better off playng McGinn has a right winger cutting in on his left foot, or not playing with wingers and having both him and Grealish as no.10s. I've thought in the past that ke kind of reminds me of Snodgrass but playing in central midfield.

5 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

Tyrone Mings, Jack Grealish and Tammy Abraham got us promoted on their own.

Apart from that incredible 10-game run, we've been absolutely horrible since Smith came in.

Harsh IMO. He totally changed the way we played last year. We didn't go from clueless Bruce nothing football to scoring 3/4/5 in games by chance. Before Grealish injury v WBA we were excellent in the five games prior, it was working. 

I will die on the hill if we had a striker who could play football like Samatta all season we'd have amassed at least 6 more points before January. At least! I reckon 9 or 10 very very likely.

5 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

No. We kept the ball better under mcleish and had better movement.

Disagree. We had better players then definitely.

3 hours ago, KMitch said:

Mourinho would struggle to coach this dreadful squad... We were better last season with Tuanzebe, Abraham, and Whelan in the team.  

Grealish, Heaton, Mings, & McGinn are Premier League players.  The rest aren't good enough.  

Correct. The manager has issues, plenty, but this squad is gash.

We're definitely going down and the next three games will really drive it home. Had to win that. Two great chances at 0-0, where are we if they go in? We'll never know.

Delighted Smith moved Grealish back into midfield. Just imagine if we had some **** wingers who weren't crap. How could we get it so wrong in the summer. Suso screwed us big time.

Keep Smith if we go down says I, change if we stay up. In the modern game you can't have a guy who only knows 433.

He'll do bloody well to keep any fans onside as the season ends, I see most have gone here already, hold on to your arses because we're going to take some right kickings. I've been convinced it's going to line up Liverpool need 1/3 points against us to confirm the league. They'll win about 25-0.

If we sack Smith, any manager coming in will take one look at this squad and say I need about 10 new players if you're going to sell Grealish/Mings. I think Purslow will be trying to salvage the value of some of these wasters we've overpaid for and at least Smith knows them now.

Biggest problem at Aston Villa is the charlatan who signed all our players this summer. Not Dean Smith.

Edited by Tomaszk
  • Like 1

Interesting stat to note.

I know xG is a bit of a controversial point to bring up, but I've been following the xGs in our games for this season. xGs are just a measure of the quality and quantity of chances a team or a player has by the way.

In the past 3 matches we've actually had a higher xG than the opposing team, meaning we've had the better chances in the game. Yes, even the Chelsea game although that one I feel is a bit controversial because of the fact that they counted both of Hause's shots.(Both of Hause's chances, the first one that was parried and the follow up where he scored from were so close to the goal that by themselves put our xG up really high but you could argue you should really count that as only one chance instead of two separate chances). 

That said, the reason why this is interesting is because you would have to go all the way back to November of last year against Newcastle to find a game where we had the higher xG or basically, the superior chances in a match. Its not a coincidence that we went the 15 games after the first Newcastle match with an inferior xG and now go 3 straight games with a superior xG. In fact, our xPts(which I won't get into here) actually says we should've gained 5 points. How is that possible considering the lucky nature in which we've seemed to get through the last 3 games?

The answer is our finishing these past 3 games has been absolute dogturd for one reason or another. That's our real problem right now in actuality. Finishing. Our defending, whilst not good by any stretch of the imagine is certainly better than before. We've been able to create more chances than the other team in our games. So the final piece of the puzzle that's missing is finishing.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

Didn’t know where to post this so thought it would go in here. But noticing how much we’ve been knocking the ball into the box and players saying they’ve been working hard on set pieces. 

Why not play old fashioned 4-4-2 with your two biggest oaks up top (Baston and Davis) a defensive  mid and attacking mid in the middle (luiz and jack) a wide player one side with some pace (samatta) and a wide player on the left who can serve a ball in and out of open play (hourihane). 

Listen I’m sure you could change a few moving parts but we’re playing so direct with two wingers who can’t dribble. Can’t cross and can’t shoot. Time to think outside the box a little. 

We have subs in positions if guys get tired. (Nakamba and a clearly not ready for 90 mins Mcginn, the two wingers who really haven’t give us anything can bust a gut for 15-20 if we need to move Samatta up top. Plus the hustle and bustle of the young kid vas)

Just thinking out loud we need a spark. If that’s not it. Maybe the 3-5-2. But I say go back to basics. Put teams on the back foot from first whistle. Squeeze them high up the pitch and take a bloody chance!!!

oh ps get nyland out of the sticks ASAP. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Harsh IMO. He totally changed the way we played last year. We didn't go from clueless Bruce nothing football to scoring 3/4/5 in games by chance. Before Grealish injury v WBA we were excellent in the five games prior, it was working. 

I will die on the hill if we had a striker who could play football like Samatta all season we'd have amassed at least 6 more points before January. At least! I reckon 9 or 10 very very likely.

Disagree. We had better players then definitely.

Correct. The manager has issues, plenty, but this squad is gash.

We're definitely going down and the next three games will really drive it home. Had to win that. Two great chances at 0-0, where are we if they go in? We'll never know.

Delighted Smith moved Grealish back into midfield. Just imagine if we had some **** wingers who weren't crap. How could we get it so wrong in the summer. Suso screwed us big time.

Keep Smith if we go down says I, change if we stay up. In the modern game you can't have a guy who only knows 433.

He'll do bloody well to keep any fans onside as the season ends, I see most have gone here already, hold on to your arses because we're going to take some right kickings. I've been convinced it's going to line up Liverpool need 1/3 points against us to confirm the league. They'll win about 25-0.

If we sack Smith, any manager coming in will take one look at this squad and say I need about 10 new players if you're going to sell Grealish/Mings. I think Purslow will be trying to salvage the value of some of these wasters we've overpaid for and at least Smith knows them now.

Biggest problem at Aston Villa is the charlatan who signed all our players this summer. Not Dean Smith.

I keep hearing that it’s Suso who signed all the players, despite Smith and Purslow both saying that every decision was a tripartite one. Smith is the head coach if he didn’t like a player he would not have been signed.

Worse than the summer is January. We really needed a ball winning midfield player and at least one speedy wide forward. Look at what we bought in and what a massive impact they have had! You telling me that Suso decided to sign Danny Drinkwater! Goodness knows we all knew that was doomed to failure! Smith is clueless. He is a really good bloke but never a PL manager. He will be sacked by Villa and never manage in the PL again.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Spoony said:

he has the final say as in yes or no. Jota , AEG , Engels, Konsa Mings were Smith signings. Engels was scouted by Smith. 

Â