Dean Smith

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, Eastie said:

I think we need to establish ourselves and build gradually from there , whether dyche could get us long term challenging for Europe I’m not sure ,  but I think he could establish us mid table over 3 or 4 years .

I agree we need to stabilise under a more pragmatic manager. Hell I'd take midtable mediocrity for a few years given how the last few years have gone!

However, as useless said, he reminds me of another McCleish/Lambert/Smith type in that he's overachieved with small clubs with lower expectations and smaller budgets. Not t mention Burnley really are so boring to watch and he's not enticed any top players there.

We need a manager who has managed successfully at a West Ham/Newcastle/Everton-type club to get this club going again imo. 

2 minutes ago, sne said:

Late to the party here since I didn't watch the game but am I right in reading that we were playing progressively worse up until their goal but did't make any subs until after they scored?

70th minute despite this being the 3rd game of the restart and a lot of our players have been playing in all of them?

This has been an ongoing thing with Smith. Please just act instead of react for once!

Apparently McGinn has played 76, 87 & 77 minutes during these games. He will break down before long if he's not rested. 

Mcginn has been poor in all 3 games ,  needs to be rested v wolves 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

I agree we need to stabilise under a more pragmatic manager. Hell I'd take midtable mediocrity for a few years given how the last few years have gone!

However, as useless said, he reminds me of another McCleish/Lambert/Smith type in that he's overachieved with small clubs with lower expectations and smaller budgets. Not t mention Burnley really are so boring to watch and he's not enticed any top players there.

We need a manager who has managed successfully at a West Ham/Newcastle/Everton-type club to get this club going again imo. 

Take  it you are looking at a Rafa type not a big Sam 😁

1 hour ago, useless said:

You've heard plenty of things in the past that haven't come true.

Oh yes I'm no itk guru - and things change in football and maybe it was bravado.

My own feeling is that the villa board believe they have the right man in Smith. And why would they bin him for a "Lee Johnson" or an unknown overseas coach.

Time will tell - but I reckon he is odds on to start next season.

I would have got rid of Smith ages ago but even if we get relegated I think he’s the right man to get us back up again. We have swapped and changed managers since O’Neill so many times. No point bringing in a new manager for the championship 

Edited by PaulC
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Jeez, Fat Sam - at least he'd keep us up 😂

Rafa would be brilliant imo if it was an option. Great CV and would bring in good players I think if backed financially.

Probably to attract Rafa would need to ditch purslow tho , they wouldn’t work together 

Dyche falls into the same category as the Howes, Lamberts of this world imo. A decent British manager getting the best out of an ordinary bunch of players. We need that and more. These managers are all solid at clubs whereby the expectation levels are initially low and at they're highest point, average. Villa need a manager that can handle top players, command the respect of all the squad and bring unity through knowledge. We have been since Houllier hiring and firing limited managers expecting more than the sum of the individual who then gets swallowed by the expectation of the club and it's size. It's the Villa merry go round.

We need a know it all, a been there seen it manager. A STFU and listen or do one manager. Someone who is not learning on the job, limited to either coaching or man management. I have said this many times but we need to spend big money on the manager. The sooner we do the sooner we rise correctly. If these owners are serious about getting this club back up to where we should be they need  to start acting ruthless imo.

I can't remember us having  a manager for a long long time that I thought was getting more out of the players than they should be....That speaks volumes to me regarding our managerial appointments. 

• Like 3

I don't  think we'd swap him for someone like Lee Johnson that wouldn't make much sense since he's constantly failed where Smith has succeeded. I think if they do get rid they will only replace him with someone that's demonstrably achived more, but whether that would be someone like Dyche, or an higher profile name in the mold of someone like Benitez I'm not sure. In recent times we've seemed to have like people with a previous connection to Chelsea, so maybe that's something to look out for.

2 minutes ago, useless said:

I don't  think we'd swap him for someone like Lee Johnson that wouldn't make much sense since he's constantly failed where Smith has succeeded. I think if they do get rid they will only replace him with someone that's demonstrably achived more, but whether that would be someone like Dyche, or an higher profile name in the mold of someone like Benitez I'm not sure. In recent times we've seemed to have like people with a previous connection to Chelsea, so maybe that's something to look out for.

Wouldn’t be surprised if they gave it to JT next which would also be uninspiring 

• Like 2

It would surprise me as I think he will be seen as part of the failure of this season, although if we were to bring in someone with a connection to Chelsea then I wouldn't be surprised to see him stay on as assistant. He's not the proven manager that people have been asking for but if Chelsea were to get rid of Lampard then I wouldn't be surprised to see us go for him because of his reputation for working with young players.

1 hour ago, Eastie said:

How can you call dyche going backwards whilst defending smith constantly , he has established A  much smaller  club in  Burnley as a mid table And also got them to Europe .

smith has floundered like a fish out of water at this level and looks totally devoid of ideas .

granted dyche was given time to get Burnley up again but I see nothing in smith to suggest he would ever manage in the premiership again , he’s been found out .

By establishing Burnley they also got relegated in his first PL season.

Maybe Smith following same path 😉

2 minutes ago, useless said:

Benitez is on £12m a year in China, albeit he only signed a two and half year contract.

That's a lot of course. But I think we're only paying Smith £1mil a year. 

Unless we offer bigger name managers the money to come here, we'll continue to recruit unproven managers like Smith again. 

• Like 1

Not sure if £12m is the going rate for a top manager in the premier league, I know that the likes of Klopp, Guardiola and Mo will be on similar or more, but I don't think Benitez would expect that much,and there are probably a lot other top class managers that we could go for that wouldn't be on that kind of money. Would still probably have to pay them a lot more than we'e playing Smith though of course.

Unless DS starts to throw caution to the wind and take some tactical risks, we are sleepwalking towards relegation. In the last two games he had chosen to do this in the last 10-15 minutes, which is too late... We need to see it from the start. 

1 hour ago, Eastie said:

I’d argue that because he’s earnt  the right as you say is the reason he’s had 31 games - many clubs would have pulled the trigger far sooner , he’s had more time and still showed no sign of improvement ; enough is enough. 

If a manager at another club had done exactly what Smith had done:

Joined a club a third of the way through a season.

Taken them from midtable mediocrity at best and got them promoted.

Rebuild a squad entirely.

Have the team with a fighting chance of survival with a few games to go.

If that was the scenario at another club we would be laughing at them for wanting to get rid. He's been here 18/19 months and look at the huge improvement at this football club since his day 1.

Edited by Mjvilla
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That suggests that fans of other clubs should be laughing at the idea of us getting rid of Smith, but from what I've seen that's not the case, most have been predicting it all season in fact. More likley if it was another club we'd be questioning why a change hadn't been made already.

20 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

If a manager at another club had done exactly what Smith had done:

Joined a club a third of the way through a season.

Taken them from midtable mediocrity at best and got them promoted.

Rebuild a squad entirely.

Have the team with a fighting chance of survival with a few games to go.

If that was the scenario at another club we would be laughing at them for wanting to get rid. He's been here 18/19 months and look at the huge improvement at this football club since his day 1.

Huge improvement ? We look like being back to where we started in a months time 

Pity saints didn’t think the same when they sacked Atkins who got then up 2 divisions when they fired him for poch , or Leicester when the sacked Pearson and ended up winning the league a year later .

Didn’t  we laugh at them But look where they are now . We’ve backed the wrong horse 

Both saw their managers were struggling at the time and acted quickly without sentiment and appointed better managers - the hard work of last year could all be tossed away by the board sticking faith with smith  

Edited by Eastie
  • Like 2

Â