Dean Smith

Demitri_C

We bought an whole new defence because if we hadn't have done we'd be playing with a back four of Elphick, Chester, Taylor and Guilbert or Bree or Elmohamady, off the top of my head they're the only defenders we actually owned at the beginning of the summer, and one of those Chester was nowhere fit enough by all accounts.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, useless said:

We bought an whole new defence because if we hadn't have done we'd be playing with a back four of Elphick, Chester, Taylor and Guilbert or Bree or Elmohamady, off the top of my head they're the only defenders we actually owned at the beginning of the summer, and one of those Chester was nowhere fit enough by all accounts.

We could have always handed Hutton and Jedi new contracts. 

Sure we would have been pushing for the Champions League spots if we had :crylaugh:

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I disagree mate. For all of Wesleys faults defenders hated him. He battled them all game and created space for other players. Its no coincidence our midfielders had a lot more chances when he was on the pitch. 

Incorrect. Defenders loved him. One touch and he was on his arse complaining to the referee., job done....

ATB 

VLD

12 minutes ago, Graham t said:

Why? I thought everyone except Smith thought was a useless clodhopper ( which he is )....

VLD.

Well for one we had to play without a striker for a few games which was painful to watch, Wesley was just left isolated up top and we are seeing the same with samatta now.

11 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Haven't Everton done something similar with Ferguson literally this season - and he did quite well? I think Brighton did the same with Potter as well? (Could be wrong)

Ferguson is a different animal,whose sheer presence demands effort,  coupled with the fact that he's Everton through and through. 

As for Potter, he came from Swansea after last season. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

We'll have to agree to disagree here. Mark Warburton took League One Brentford straight in to the Championship playoffs with minimal spend. Those in charge gave Dean a fantastic squad to play with, but he didn't do a good enough job IMO.

It seems most Brentford fans think he done a good job. They certainly started playing their best football under him.

2 hours ago, OxfordVillan said:

Not exactly putting your money where your mouth is, is it?! How about £20 at 50-1 and I’ll give all the money to Acorns if Villa win?

Why would i put "my money where my mouth is?" If you want to put a friendly wager at the terms i suggested i am happy to do that.

Otherwise forget this nonsense bet at £1000. No idea why you would even suggest a bet like this knowing no one is going to accept those odds even yourself as you know id say no. 

1 hour ago, Graham t said:

How much did Norwich spend in the summer? A fraction of what we did. They knew it would be tough for them to stay up. £ We spent 146 million to ENSURE we stayed up.  Unfortunately 138 million of this was wasted on players who look out of their depth. You couldn't make it up.

Regards,

VLD.

If we hadn't spent money in the summer and done what Norwich did, our side would've looked something like this:

Nyland, Elmo, Chester, Suliman?, Taylor, mcginn, Grealish, hourihane, green, Davis adomah? 

I keep reading we spent money to ENSURE we stayed up. I don't think this was the case, we spent money to be competitive. We had to buy a whole new back four and whole new attack. 140million doesn't get you much when you look at it this way. The side would've looked like that due to many years of mismanagement and short-termism. We now have a side which is the basis of a decent premier league side and certainly a good championship side, in my view. This was because of how much we spent. We simply had to do this. 

We are worlds away from even a year ago due to the money spent. I think Smith and the coaching staff can be criticised for not organising this team. But the money spent, we shouldn't be criticised for.

14 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

When you look at Guilbert and Trezeguet do you think these are players who are not playing for a manager or players who, regardless of who was in charge, are just not that good. They are miles off premier league players. For a start look where they came from. Club relegated in France and not even a top 5 club in Turkey.  And we are shocked they are " underperforming" These are not holding anything back. I'm sorry, this is what they have to offer. We've been shown it.

I don't think you could point at a player and say he is not giving 100 percent. This isnt Lescott and Bacuna. 

They are simply just not up to it

• Like 1

Whats annoying about all this is were struggling against everyone. The teams who are at bottom with us are at least managing to pull a win out here and there and against some of the best in this league also. Even Bruce has managed to do something at Newcastle and thats also the really sad part about whats going on here, hes at least turned them abit away from danger. 

I don't care anymore about what we spent, who came in or who we got rid of, the players who are here now are playing like a bunch of lemmings. Smith says they are all playing the games of there life and putting there hearts into it, I really doubt that because we look like we belong back in the championship, we look amateurish at best against the rest. It's about time our lads earned there wage because as it stands I'd not have any of them here next season if we drop, there is no excuse for half assed field play, it's all or nothing. We have all been to nice with them all including the Coaches and supported them all season with patience and love, it's about time they fetched us a few wins and restored a little faith and love back.

I've been very patient with Smith and CO all season but now I see things are not progressing anywhere at all and that breaks my heart. I thought that Smith would be able to get us back up if we drop, I honestly am doubting even that now and before it's to god damn late, we may be best saying thanks and bye and roll the dice on someone else better and more experienced. 

• Like 3

Do you think it is something to do with morale?

I mean at the beginning of the season we actually looked like a good side and thought we would do well, then we got a few defeats that should’ve been wins and the boat started rocking and hasn’t stopped rocking since!

Sadly it is looking like Dean cannot steady the boat, hoped he could as would’ve loved to see him at the club for many years but think the problems need fresh eyes. 

15 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

When you look at Guilbert and Trezeguet do you think these are players who are not playing for a manager or players who, regardless of who was in charge, are just not that good. They are miles off premier league players. For a start look where they came from. Club relegated in France and not even a top 5 club in Turkey.  And we are shocked they are " underperforming" These are not holding anything back. I'm sorry, this is what they have to offer. We've been shown it.

But why on earth are we signing players like this.....they said all the poor recruitment of the past, was behind us.

why do we always sign pip squeaks in midfield, as opposed to powerful, dominant players.

this lip service on recruitment has to change, if we have any hope of progression.

probably the single most crucial piece of criteria to get right.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, TRO said:

But why on earth are we signing players like this.....they said all the poor recruitment of the past, was behind us.

why do we always sign pip squeaks in midfield, as opposed to powerful, dominant players.

this lip service on recruitment has to change, if we have any hope of progression.

probably the single most crucial piece of criteria to get right.

Well Guilbert was signed in January last season while we were sitting mid table in the Championship so he was likely brought in with another Championship season in mind.

7 hours ago, Dave-R said:

Whats annoying about all this is were struggling against everyone. The teams who are at bottom with us are at least managing to pull a win out here and there and against some of the best in this league also. Even Bruce has managed to do something at Newcastle and thats also the really sad part about whats going on here, hes at least turned them abit away from danger. 

I don't care anymore about what we spent, who came in or who we got rid of, the players who are here now are playing like a bunch of lemmings. Smith says they are all playing the games of there life and putting there hearts into it, I really doubt that because we look like we belong back in the championship, we look amateurish at best against the rest. It's about time our lads earned there wage because as it stands I'd not have any of them here next season if we drop, there is no excuse for half assed field play, it's all or nothing. We have all been to nice with them all including the Coaches and supported them all season with patience and love, it's about time they fetched us a few wins and restored a little faith and love back.

I've been very patient with Smith and CO all season but now I see things are not progressing anywhere at all and that breaks my heart. I thought that Smith would be able to get us back up if we drop, I honestly am doubting even that now and before it's to god damn late, we may be best saying thanks and bye and roll the dice on someone else better and more experienced. 

I think when you go through these type of maulings.....belief evaporates.

i think Dean would struggle to get us up next season...if we continue as we are.

I have heard him say " we need to be hard to beat" so that encourages me to think he does know the team has been too open......he just needs to demonstate he can get the team to be "hard to beat"

i have seen situations like this before ,that don't usually end well.

imo he has left it too late, to smell the coffee......some of us could see the danger,months ago.....when we wasn't even this bad.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, sne said:

Well Guilbert was signed in January last season while we were sitting mid table in the Championship so he was likely brought in with another Championship season in mind.

Could be....but its not much foresight on progression.

for me, he is too small to make an impact, i favour more physical full backs who can cover the back post in the air.....if you are small, you have to be exceptional, sorry.....not saying size is everything, but a good big un, will beat a god small un on most occasions.

even Pep has admitted he has a few too many small players.

Edited by TRO

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

for me, he is too small to make an impact, i favour more physical full backs who can cover the back post in the air.....if you are small, you have to be exceptional, sorry.....not saying size is everything, but a good big un, will beat a god small un on most occasions.

even Pep has admitted he has a few too many small players.

I prefer both, but that costs a lot more money than £5m if you want the sure thing. Can't really have a beanpole full back who can't get up the pitch either.

The fact that our academy has been incapable of producing defenders and especially full backs for ages now is sad

8 minutes ago, TRO said:

for me, he is too small to make an impact, i favour more physical full backs who can cover the back post in the air.....if you are small, you have to be exceptional, sorry.

I've used the comparison you used recently here. He's 5ft10. Ends Stevens is 6ft. George balddock , who plays on the other side, is same height as guilbert. I've used another side who would like to consider themselves difficult to beat, Burnley, for comparison too.

Charlie Taylor, who has been starting at left back recently, is shorter than guilbert. Bardsley, right back, is a bit taller than guilbert (not much). Matt lowton who plays right back, is 5ft11.

Point I'm trying to make is that height doesn't particularly make much difference at full back. If his positioning was better, then he wouldn't have much issue. 

Very old fashioned thing I think to want tall, physical players everywhere. I agree, we are short on one of them in the middle of the park. But we don't need them all over.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think when you go through these type of maulings.....belief evaporates.

i think Dean would struggle to get us up next season.

I have heard him say " we need to be hard to beat" so that encourages me to think he does know the team has been too open......he just needs to demonstate he can get the team to be "hard to beat"

i have seen situations like this that don't usually end well.

imo he has left it too late, to smell the coffee......some of us could see the danger,months ago.....when we wasn't even this bad.

I don't think he knows how to set up a team so they are hard to beat that's his downfall! He doesn't seem to set a team up for a certain opposition it all one dimensional with him which is OK if you are a mid table Championship club, not good for a team trying to get a foothold in the PL! 

How Brentford have improved (in all areas) since he left concerns me a bit.

• Like 2

Â