Dean Smith

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, Graham t said:

Simples...play two strikers and hit it long to them ( a la Leicester). Please don't say this is too simple. We are not good enough to do anything else and it will take the pressure off our woeful defence.

Regards,

VLD.

Ummm...

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Graham t said:

Ummm.....

I don't think it really needs explanation - it's simply contradictory. 

Furthermore, if you think that hitting it long is the way out of this, then you simply need to get with the times. It doesn't work. Have you see what happens whenever we play it long? We just lose the ball. Leicester do not play that way either - they are efficient counter-attackers but actually tend to play a possession based game. 

2 hours ago, Paul33 said:

Stop over complicating things. Smith is more than good enough at this level but he has a squad made up of a LOT of poor quality players. What role he had in the signings made, I do not know but he is simply trying to put a gloss on a pretty runny turd at the moment and no tactical change is ever going to make that turd start glowing and that applies to any new manager !

If it’s not complicated, please share with us what Smith has done this season to suggest he is MORE than good enough at this level? 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Furthermore, if you think that hitting it long is the way out of this, then you simply need to get with the times. It doesn't work. Have you see what happens whenever we play it long? We just lose the ball. Leicester do not play that way either - they are efficient counter-attackers but actually tend to play a possession based game. 

Sorry but I disagree. We play it short at the moment and lose possession almost immediately. Smith himself has agreed that this is a major fault with our play, ( but has been unable to improve our possession and passing statistics, which are the worst in the league I believe. ). It is lunacy to ask our players to play a passing/ possession game when it is obvious they cannot do it. If I have repeated my points in my previous post then I apologise but as I said, it is simple to understand if you think about where we are at the moment.

ATB.

VLD.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, sne said:

I prefer both, but that costs a lot more money than £5m if you want the sure thing. Can't really have a beanpole full back who can't get up the pitch either.

The fact that our academy has been incapable of producing defenders and especially full backs for ages now is sad

Not saying a beanpole, but a stature commensurate with aerial prowess and durability to stop opponents.

yes the academy contribution has been poor, in this area.

a Wilfred Bouma type would be fine, a stature that showed a combative output and approach.

2 hours ago, lexicon said:

Leicester do play it long at times, it was clearly evident the other night,when Harvey Barnes got behind us on many occasions, the incident leaving Guilbert for dead was the best example......Vardy is the perfect tool, for their long ball, oh they play it alright, very well to our cost.

12 hours ago, cbr600rr said:

what good has smith done?

he has spent big in the summer , is this team doing the basics on the pitch? NO! 

the buck stops firmly with the manager, how many goals to villa let in every game ..2-3 on average? 

chelsea will win 5 nil , thats not good for villa , if your happy with smith -great! 

i think big sam should be next, smith will not get villa solid next year in the championship, hes had a free ride with jack being the player he is, when hes gone ! you will see how bad smith is 

I meant I'd like Smith and JT to leave mate.

7 hours ago, OxfordVillan said:

Well you did say Villa had less than a 2% chance of beating Chelsea, so thought that you might have the courage of your convictions. Obviously not. Anyway, happy to park this and be done with it, thanks for your counter offer but I’ll also respectfully decline. 

Personally I think that was an dick move. Giving it the, "I can throw money away nonsense, lets see what you can afford." Poor form. If you've got that sort of disposable cash why not just donate it to the site? I'm sure Limpid would be very appreciative. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, PussEKatt said:

If we lose more games than we win,its natural for the players heads to drop and for their form to go all to hell.The way I see it is that we usually play the wrong formation ( for the playere we have )We usually employ the wrong tactics and as far as DS is concerned he wants to attack and win every game.All very noble and sounds great but if you lok at it realistically,we should not even be trying to beat teams like Liverpool,Chelsea,Spurs etc.

So, I put it down to the manager.Wrong tactics,wrong formation,wrong attitude and wrong way to go about things in your first eason in the Premier League.We should have been consolidating and aiming for 17th, not trying to win every game. 

sound advice.

containment was never Deans Forte....and this is the result.

Strangely enough, I do like Deans outlook/ philosophy, its hard not to......but you cannot play like that with gay abandon in this league, especially your first season back , when points is all that matters.

Edited by TRO

Think we could finish in the top 6 in the Championship with Smith. But I agree with TRO. Top 2 is very, very unlikely with this defence.

If we do go up again through play offs i think the season will be similar to this one.

I just don't think Smith's style of play is suited in this league with a let's call it a very limited squad of players in terms of technical ability.

16 hours ago, useless said:

I'm not arguing for or against any manager, just saying that Franks is managing Brentford under different circumstances than when Smith was their manager, Smith never had £30m to spend in one window  or anywhere near that amount whilst he was there; last season when Franks was managing the Brentford team built on less of a budget they finished eleventh on 64 points ten points off the play-offs, and Smith had won them 18 of those 64 points before he left them to join us. There's enough to criticize Smith for without making silly claims that because Franks has Brentford currently in the play-offs that it somehow refelcts badly on Smith, of course if a team spends big money there's a very good chance they're going to improve versus when they hardly spent any money at all. And none of this is me saying that Smith is a better manager than Franks or vice versa, from what I can make out they both did a good job in different circumstances.

I understand this point.

But Brentford fans have said they could already see defensive improvements last season.

Of course more spending power helps though.

2 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

So the Chelsea game could be Smith's last in charge?

No i don't think so.

Mainly because of the contract extension. Would look really embarrassing on the board if they sacked a man only months after a contract extension.

He will get next season to get it right I think. Although I don't agree with it.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TRO said:

I think the 64 million dollar question is......is the manager not good enough, or is the players not good enough......or both.

I will most certainly have to phone a friend on that one TRO..

4 hours ago, TRO said:

sound advice.

containment was never Deans Forte....and this is the result.

Strangely enough, I do like Deans outlook/ philosophy, its hard not to......but you cannot play like that with gay abandon in this league, especially your first season back , when points is all that matters.

Part of the problem isn't it, we are trying to make something work, a way of football, all while were trying to secure points with a thrown together team.

If anything there is to much going on and it's all to much, Smith needs to do the simple thing here and change it up to meet the needs of survival and that maybe abandoning his philosophy for abit.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

I understand this point.

But Brentford fans have said they could already see defensive improvements last season.

Of course more spending power helps though.

Next season comes and by some chance were in the premier, I want see see massive improvements in signings for our midfield and Wingers. If those positions were at least solid and we spent much less time in our own defence, I can't help think we'd at least see much less mistakes.

• Like 1

Â