Dean Smith

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, useless said:

This could work in our favour, in the sense that I think this might be the wake up call that the squad need, can see them fighting like ferocious demons now to save Smith's job. Would be a shame if he does leave at this stage, but at the same time can see where the owners are coming from, they're going to do whatever they think is needed to keep us in the division.

Same was said when we lost to man City 6-1

Although it’s two months too late it’s a decent time to get someone in because of the international break.

I wouldn’t be at all surprised if they already have someone lined up.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Farlz said:

I don't want it to end like this ffs

Football management is death or glory, there’s no middle ground nor shame in the sack. It’s just business, not personal.

Whatever happens history will remember Smith with fondness, he can be proud of his first 12 months.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

After the first four weeks we had results like the 5-5 with Forest, 2-2 with Albion and Stoke, then a 3-2 defeat at Leeds.  And that was 4 out of 5 games - conceding 12 goals.

We also drew 2-2 with QPR and Hull, 3-3 with Sheff Utd and then suffered a 3-0 defeat against Wigan.

When Jack returned from injury against Derby we were 13th.

Yes, Dean's style of play needed someone like Grealish to make it work, but we were shipping goals like crazy last season and nothing has changed.

The goals were being conceded already though, we weren’t great the last few weeks of Bruces stint either. Dean just hasn’t fixed the problem.

We’d kept 1 Clean Sheet in the first 11 League games of the season (against Rotherham) and conceded 3 goals vs Preston and 4 vs Sheffield United.

Dean and Terry should have done a better job at fixing the defence by now. But it wasn’t an issue they created.

Just now, HalfTimePost said:

The goals were being conceded already though, we weren’t great the last few weeks of Bruces stint either. Dean just hasn’t fixed the problem.

We’d kept 1 Clean Sheet in the first 11 League games of the season (against Rotherham) and conceded 3 goals vs Preston and 4 vs Sheffield United.

Dean and Terry should have done a better job at fixing the defence by now. But it wasn’t an issue they created.

I acknowledge that, but the entire defence is now his. And the defensive midfielders. And the goalkeepers.

I really, really want him to be the one to restore our glory, but we've not got any better since August. At all.

It's just sad it has come to this. Considering we have a 3 week break after Saturday until the next game and now that Percy of all people has said this, I think a decision has already been made. They're probably talking about who will replace him not if he will be replaced. The whole situation makes me very sad. He's a good guy and I really don't think it's all his fault. The recruitment let him down badly in the summer. These are not his players. Whatever happens, I remain convinced that the owners know what they're doing and what they hope to achieve. I think we could not be in better hands, as sad as this situation is.

3 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

After the first four weeks we had results like the 5-5 with Forest, 2-2 with Albion and Stoke, then a 3-2 defeat at Leeds.  And that was 4 out of 5 games - conceding 12 goals.

We also drew 2-2 with QPR and Hull, 3-3 with Sheff Utd and then suffered a 3-0 defeat against Wigan.

When Jack returned from injury against Derby we were 13th.

Yes, Dean's style of play needed someone like Grealish to make it work, but we were shipping goals like crazy last season and nothing has changed.

Like I said, unrecognisable. It was something I hadn't seen at Villa in 9/10 years, fun. I enjoyed going to our games because we passed the ball and ended up scoring.

Wheels fell off and we needed something incredible that, you're right, we wouldn't have done without Jack Grealish.

It's clearly not sustainable in the PL I agree, Leicester wasn't fun. He's repeatedly made the same errors again and again, though he has been given some absolute trash to work with.

Who can we get now, that might keep us up, who you'd also be happy going to the season with in the Championship?

All depends on the appointment for me. If it's a Sam, I'll be sick because we'll go down anyway and be stuck with him.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Like I said, unrecognisable. It was something I hadn't seen at Villa in 9/10 years, fun. I enjoyed going to our games because we passed the ball and ended up scoring.

Wheels fell off and we needed something incredible that, you're right, we wouldn't have done without Jack Grealish.

It's clearly not sustainable in the PL I agree, Leicester wasn't fun. He's repeatedly made the same errors again and again, though he has been given some absolute trash to work with.

Who can we get now, that might keep us up, who you'd also be happy going to the season with in the Championship?

All depends on the appointment for me. If it's a Sam, I'll be sick because we'll go down anyway and be stuck with him.

I agree with all you've said but i dont know who is available.

I assume we would be looking at out of contract managers, or possibly ones from lower profile clubs than ourselves. 

No current pl managers will come.

Big sam, chris hughton, pulis, lambert, king olof....????

DWIGHT YORKE?????? 

Marco silva. Emery. Pellegrini. Sanchez flores. Javi gracia. Pochettino. 

Mark delaney?

Not a great load of options

1 hour ago, useless said:

This could work in our favour, in the sense that I think this might be the wake up call that the squad need, can see them fighting like ferocious demons now to save Smith's job.

The players hate him. he's slaughtered them individually and as a group to the mainstream media. They're not going to sweat a bead against chelsea.... Saturday is going to be an anal massacre.

If you read the article it says 'that an heavy defeat' will raise doubts over his future, it doesn't say that he will be fired if we lose, a spirited performance might be enough to convince the owners to keep him on even if we ultimately lose.

I wonder if we'll even fulfil that fixture against Chelsea. Man City Arsenal called off as a 'medical precaution' (this is related to shaking hands with the guy who owns Olympiakos and Forest and has come down with the virus), but we may plausibly be in a position where league games can't go ahead for a long time, starting very soon.

Nobody is going to want to become our manager, only to get relegated with only one or two games in charge (if they get any at all). Smith may get to keep his job into the Championship next season by default.

6 hours ago, villakram said:

A performance is needed more than anything this weekend.

This has been the case all season for me. Right from our first game I was more concerned with performance levels than results, as it was always going to be the case we would lose a lot of games.

Regardless of personnel, of tactics, of playing style, or of anything else, a consistently high level of performance would’ve got us the point a game we needed. Sadly they haven’t been consistent, or high....but most importantly the poor performances are increasing.

At Sheffield we were turning to each other saying “ where has this stuff come from ?”. By Watford it was shocking. Burnley showed the players the ability and that the Coach could still get that level from them.

Since then unfortunately we have only shown decent performance levels in the Cup...( and against Spurs). It’s even a debating point why that is.... almost as if the players self motivated for it ?

Ive no issue with mistakes, tactics, selections, or anything else. We were half way down the Championship a year ago. 

But the fundamental job of the Coach is to get the most from his players. Not all the time, but a decent effort shouldn’t be the exception.

I think it’s this that will prove his undoing.

3 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

If Suso had found some good players we'd have been fine yes.

I'm not sure Smith had time to go and find 12 players when he was coaching us to promotion from October-May.

The idea that this squad is completely incapable of staying up is completely bizarre. 

So far the season has been a failure, and a very good portion of that falls directly on the coach. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

The idea that this squad is completely incapable of staying up is completely bizarre. 

So far the season has been a failure, and a very good portion of that falls directly on the coach. 

Can you direct me to three weaker squads?

I agree with your second sentence.

3 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Can you direct me to three weaker squads?

I agree with your second sentence.

No point, it's subjectice. I don't believe we have a bottom 3 squad, it's very rare the 3 worst teams go down any given season as it often comes down to coaching and this is why we will fall without a change. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

No point, it's subjectice. I don't believe we have a bottom 3 squad, it's very rare the 3 worst teams go down any given season as it often comes down to coaching and this is why we will fall without a change. 

Playing it differently and plucking names do you think any of Farke, Howe, Pearson, Moyes, Potter, Hasenhuttl or Bruce would have keep us up?

I think Howe and Hasenhuttl would have given us a much better chance but would be dealing with much worse players.

Leicester was defensively a real carcrash. Don't know what's happened with corners. Midfield was as open as ever and the ball was constantly bouncing off Marvellous into the opponent's possession.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Playing it differently and plucking names do you think any of Farke, Howe, Pearson, Moyes, Potter, Hasenhuttl or Bruce would have keep us up?

I think Howe and Hasenhuttl would have given us a much better chance but would be dealing with much worse players.

Leicester was defensively a real carcrash. Don't know what's happened with corners. Midfield was as open as ever and the ball was constantly bouncing off Marvellous into the opponent's possession.

I'm not going to say yes, because I don't know how they would've played with this squad. 

My reasoning for wanting Smith gone isn't because I have a name of a coach I want in, because I don't know who that would be. My reasoning is that I really think its past the point of no return with DS. I genuinely think the squad doesn't believe in the system they're being asked to play in, and once the team loses belief in their coach it's over. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Our players are crap.

Tony Pulis will not keep us up. Big Sam will not keep us up.

Whoever we bring in we should be looking at next season coming up from the Championship. Who can do that that would come to us now?

Smith brought them in so he has to be held accountable. 

Sorry i dont believe the players are not good enough. I think the qay smith has them set up is whats making us look so garbage. We have shown in games against spurs liverpool and united we can compete. 

Big sam can keep us up. Pearson has taken a very poor squad and got results. Sam can do the same. 

21 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Smith brought them in so he has to be held accountable. 

Sorry i dont believe the players are not good enough. I think the qay smith has them set up is whats making us look so garbage. We have shown in games against spurs liverpool and united we can compete. 

Big sam can keep us up. Pearson has taken a very poor squad and got results. Sam can do the same. 

Suso mainly brought them in, which part of this do people not get. 

The players were the last players available on the shelf because we didn't know we be playing in this league until a month after other teams

• Like 3

Â