Dean Smith

Demitri_C

48 minutes ago, A38villan said:

Posted on the Brentford forum

IDontBeeLieveIt said Yesterday 22:14
Can get someone tactically more astute now and the rest will take care of itself wink.gif

Be on here after 5 games !

Its been levelled at every manager since  internet forums  came to pass

16 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

Are there not some free agents available that would instantly improve our options? Collins or Huth come to mind. Or the potential recall of Elphick.

Collins/ Huth/ Elphick recall >>>> Jedi at CB

It's hardly an impossible task.

Do we have any money left?? We have just sacked Brice and Co and compensated Brentford.

14 minutes ago, hippo said:

Chester and Tunazabe  isn't that bad. GK I accept.

But with Smith playing more on the front foot - and Terry coaching the defence I am hoping for improvement - if not what was the point ?

Expect a new GK in Jan - or maybe a free agent before that. 

I disagree, I know some people on here think he has potential to be good at centre back, however I think he is just generally crap. Don't rate him at all in any position

1 minute ago, KHV said:

I disagree, I know some people on here think he has potential to be good at centre back, however I think he is just generally crap. Don't rate him at all in any position

He is only young + plus we have Bedau ? - and maybe some others from the u23's

Smith and Terry have been brought in to coach and improve our players and work more with the u23's  - New players will arrive in due course - But I am expecting our new team to get more out of what we have.

There's something i dont like about the fact he is a villa fan.

I mean its vast majority great, as he loves the club, and im onboard with him being manager, but its a weird angle/distraction for me.

All the media mentioning it at the top of their headlines and the OS going with "he's one of our own".

Obviously it had nothing to do with his appointment, and is purely coincidence.

2 minutes ago, turvontour said:

There's something i dont like about the fact he is a villa fan.

I mean its vast majority great, as he loves the club, and im onboard with him being manager, but its a weird angle/distraction for me.

All the media mentioning it at the top of their headlines and the OS going with "he's one of our own".

Obviously it had nothing to do with his appointment, and is purely coincidence.

Wouldn't say it had nothing to do with it......

1 hour ago, hippo said:

Wouldn't be surprised if there was an informal agreement that he doesn't poach Brentford players. 

I'd be surprised if there was ever any informal agreements of this type in football. Every player has their price. 

Welcome Dean and Welcome back John. 

As far as I can see, and as others have said, this has to have been going on for some time. You don't manage to negotiate the contracts, and the compensation deals with Brentford and align three appointments overnight or in the 12 hours since "Henry turned us down". 

This has clearly been going on since Bruce was sacked. JT announcing his retirement a few days ago, and the sacking of all the coaching structure at the same time as Bruce points in this direction. 

All of the other bollox in the media was, in my opinion just guesswork at best, downright playing of the betting market at worst. 

Dean Smith. He's one of our own. 

Looking forward to you building something here sir. In my opinion you will be given time to get it right. We gave Bruce 2 years, we have seen that the quick fix doesn't work. We know that this needs to be done right, and I am confident we have the right men for the job. 

Thank you Brentford, and I hope you find a suitable candidate to carry on Smith's work and keep you contending. 

Edited by TheStagMan
  • Like 2

The appointments pretty much ticks all the boxes:

A manager noted for forward thinking attacking football.

A manager who’s stock is rising within the game.

Local lad to connect to fans (this should help if he takes some time to get the team up and running. Folks are more likely to cut him some slack).

While Smith isn’t a household name, Terry is.

Looks like Smith will bring his coaching team with him.

Appointing some kind of DoF type figure to introduce a structure to the whole football side of the club.

You can sense a galvanising effect of the appointments already, most people are really looking forward to the next game.

There is a lot of talk about people being worried he is only a 'small cog in a bigger machine' but I think that is missing the bigger picture.

He has been brought here precisely because we want a larger philosophy for the club and a head coach who will be a component in that. We want to set up that larger 'machine' here at Villa rather than a cult of personality approach built around the manager of the day.

The very thing that people are saying is a potential weakness is actually one of the main advantages of his signing.   

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

When was the last time a manager of ours left us to go to a bigger job?

No one has really left us for anybody, let alone for a bigger club. They generally just get sacked and their careers go downwards quite quick!

Graham Taylor left us for the England job. That's about the only one.

Gregory rocked up Derby about a week after leaving us, Saunders was appointed blues manager about a fortnight after leaving.

Â