Dean Smith

Demitri_C

15 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It's crazy how many people just assume a youth player is ready to make the step up, having probably never seen him play (SGC excluded)

If he was ready right now then he'd have featured in and around squads a bit more, imo.

It's not impossible, of course, for him to be thrown in and perform well. But it's pretty unlikely! People are basically guessing.

I agree with the younger players but I do wonder how good a player is when if in his early 20s he can’t break in to a squad that is depleted in the position he plays. Suliman for example will turn 21 soon. Yet if he is loaned out when we are so short at the back will he ever be good enough?

Or is it a case of having to loan these players out until their contract ends. 

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

I agree with the younger players but I do wonder how good a player is when if in his early 20s he can’t break in to a squad that is depleted in the position he plays. Suliman for example will turn 21 soon. Yet if he is loaned out when we are so short at the back will he ever be good enough?

Or is it a case of having to loan these players out until their contract ends. 

Well that's kind of the point isn't it?

People see them playing well (or rather hear that they're playing well as I doubt 99% of us ever watch youth games) for the Youth Team and then automatically assume they're good enough for the first team.

I think a lot of fans vastly underestimate how big that step up is.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Well that's kind of the point isn't it?

People see them playing well (or rather hear that they're playing well as I doubt 99% of us ever watch youth games) for the Youth Team and then automatically assume they're good enough for the first team.

I think a lot of fans vastly underestimate how big that step up is.

I’m agreeing with you. I’m just wondering why clubs keeps hold of them if it’s clear they will never make it. Lyden is 23.  If he’s not good enough now will he ever be?

Im assuming it’s due to contract obligations.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

It's very rare to find a young centre half who can make that step up to first team football. It's a position that comes with huge responsibility, you need that awareness and ability to read the game. That usually comes with experience, unless you find a John Stones, who is blessed with natural ability. I remember Ugo ( God bless him ) making his debut and big fat Ron claimed he was the next God, let's just say it wasn't the most memorable of débuts, but let's not forget what a great centre half he turned out to be. The point is, making your debut at that position at a young age, is a lot of weight on young shoulders.

I've a feeling that Collins isn't Smith's kind of defender.

Edited by sheepyvillian

Smith has played down the Villa fan tag ever since he has been here and i expect the same in pre match press conference before sha, but bloody hell he must be buzzing for this weekend. 

I really think it will be all out attack and i can't bloody wait. 

Suleiman has made 2 sub appearances so far for FC Emmen - who are mid table

He is 21 in Jan - Bedeau is 19 on Christmas Eve. 

From the games I’ve seen online, I think they are very similar players - both comfortable playing out from the back - both tall and thin initially, though JB appears to have been working in the weight room - and he was always the ‘lightweight’ of the two.

Bear in mind we paid £900k for him.

On 20/11/2018 at 16:43, sheepyvillian said:

It's very rare to find a young centre half who can make that step up to first team football. It's a position that comes with huge responsibility, you need that awareness and ability to read the game. That usually comes with experience, unless you find a John Stones, who is blessed with natural ability. I remember Ugo ( God bless him ) making his debut and big fat Ron claimed he was the next God, let's just say it wasn't the most memorable of débuts, but let's not forget what a great centre half he turned out to be. The point is, making your debut at that position at a young age, is a lot of weight on young shoulders.

I've a feeling that Collins isn't Smith's kind of defender.

• Baker
  • Clarke
  • Ridgewell
  • Cahill

just a few......but Dean Smith will sign one in Jan.

Edited by TRO

3 hours ago, TRO said:
  • Baker
  • Clarke
  • Ridgewell
  • Cahill

just a few......but Dean Smith will sign one in Jan.

Aside from Cahill, the other three didn't really set their stall in Villa Colours. Ugo and Gareth Barry come to mind when thinking of players who came through the ranks and established themselves at centre - half. Barry did become a midfielder, but he made his early appearances as a defender and at times looked as cultured as God himself. I distinctly remember him making a fool of Dion Dublin against Coventry, and it being highlighted by Hansen on Motd .

As for Cahill, it was a crime and a prime example of O'Neill's arrogance.

I always had a soft spot for Zat Knight though, that equaliser against Arsenal . The joy that gave was something else, incidentally, that, IMO, was the best football we played under O'Neill.

Even though Zat's time with us was short, he said how honoured he was to have had the privilege of pulling on that famous Jersey.

13 hours ago, av1 said:

Smith has played down the Villa fan tag ever since he has been here and i expect the same in pre match press conference before sha, but bloody hell he must be buzzing for this weekend. 

I really think it will be all out attack and i can't bloody wait. 

I'd imagine some harsh punishment for the players if they lose to Small Heathens on Sunday. 

I reckon Deano will be on his A game for this one!

• Like 1

As much as Smith will be up for this one the timing of it must have been a nightmare for him with the international break. I bet his family haven’t stopped banging on about it.

Ive a feeling we will really go at them on Sunday, would love to see that.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

As much as Smith will be up for this one the timing of it must have been a nightmare for him with the international break. I bet his family haven’t stopped banging on about it.

Ive a feeling we will really go at them on Sunday, would love to see that.

I agree and I think we will take the game to them from the word go.

On 20/11/2018 at 08:16, Stevo985 said:

It's crazy how many people just assume a youth player is ready to make the step up, having probably never seen him play (SGC excluded)

If he was ready right now then he'd have featured in and around squads a bit more, imo.

It's not impossible, of course, for him to be thrown in and perform well. But it's pretty unlikely! People are basically guessing.

Just to be clear stevo, i am not saying he is or isnt ready, only its unlikely at his age he is ready as it happens so seldom that cbs perform at his age.

• Like 1

On 20/11/2018 at 08:39, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’m agreeing with you. I’m just wondering why clubs keeps hold of them if it’s clear they will never make it. Lyden is 23.  If he’s not good enough now will he ever be?

Im assuming it’s due to contract obligations.

Wasnt cahill 23 when he left? Granted he was in and around the squad but he certainly wasnt challenging the starting 11.

Just because a player hasnt reached his potential doesnt mean they wont. Look at vardy, he didnt make it in the prem until his mid 20s, people can realise potential later than others

22 minutes ago, flashingqwerty said:

Just to be clear stevo, i am not saying he is or isnt ready, only its unlikely at his age he is ready as it happens so seldom that cbs perform at his age.

I totally agree with you.

2 hours ago, flashingqwerty said:

Wasnt cahill 23 when he left? Granted he was in and around the squad but he certainly wasnt challenging the starting 11.

Just because a player hasnt reached his potential doesnt mean they wont. Look at vardy, he didnt make it in the prem until his mid 20s, people can realise potential later than others

Fair points but I think everyone involved with the club could see Cahill was going to go on to big things. Well everyone apart from the one man that mattered. 

I remember telling mates at the time he was going to be the next John Terry. I was horrified when we sold him.  

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Brumstopdogs said:

Have to love the philosophy!

Did he actually say this?

Not a dig, I really hope he did as it's exactly the kind of stuff we want to hear.

But so many of these quotes you see posted on a picture like that are made up :( 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Brumstopdogs said:

Have to love the philosophy!

I keep seeing these quotes about finishing teams off and making teams fear us but I haven’t once heard him say it. 

Has anyone got a link where he has actually said these things since joining villa or are they past quotes? 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I keep seeing these quotes about finishing teams off and making teams fear us but I haven’t once heard him say it. 

Has anyone got a link where he has actually said these things since joining villa or are they past quotes? 

Don't think Brentford or Walsalls fans would have been too happy if he'd said that before he joined!

Â