Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Ohhhhhhh Deano, bad move, man. Don't see anything good here. If he stays up it will be 'because of the squad' in the media. If he goes down it's two relegations on the CV, and his last ever top flight job. 

Wanted him to take a mid table Champ side up.

Edited by HKP90

2 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

No one else would touch this job without a long contract on the table because of the many downsides.

Deano, never afraid of a challenge, says yeah go on then. Foolish? Perhaps. Brave? Of course. City and a 2020 Grealish away first game. Grim.

The ability is there. If he makes the team feel happy, they should pull out of this with ease.

I expect 433 with the 8s running in behind opposition full backs as soon as they press forward.

He could've also said he had commitments like watching cricket until after the City game to have more chance of starting with a bounce, but Deano? Nah, get me in there. I can handle Jacky boy.

3 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

And he might not have gotten another chance had he turned them down as well.

You’ve got to jump at every opportunity and back yourself at that level. 

It's a bold choice, I'll give him that, but how much can he actually do with the last few games of the season. They must be hoping Maddison can do a Grealish.

29 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

If he goes down he'll never get another chance.

Dean is a far better bet than Jesse Marsch would have been, but giving him only until the end of the season, doesn't suggest they see this as a long term thing. I think he would have a better chance at getting them back up than he did with Norwich, given the opportunity. I think Leicester and Dean could be a decent fit for each other and that he might even keep them up on the last day, as he did with us. There is always the risk that if he did, they would hand the job to someone else though, but if they did that it would do his future employability no harm. Good luck Dean, I think you will need it. 

16 minutes ago, John said:

Dean is a far better bet than Jesse Marsch would have been, but giving him only until the end of the season, doesn't suggest they see this as a long term thing. I think he would have a better chance at getting them back up than he did with Norwich, given the opportunity. I think Leicester and Dean could be a decent fit for each other and that he might even keep them up on the last day, as he did with us. There is always the risk that if he did, they would hand the job to someone else though, but if they did that it would do his future employability no harm. Good luck Dean, I think you will need it. 

Hope he does it. I like Deano marginally more than I can't stand Leicester. And I really like Deano.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

It's a bold choice, I'll give him that, but how much can he actually do with the last few games of the season. They must be hoping Maddison can do a Grealish.

If you look at their squad it's still pretty decent, certainly not one of the 3 worse. It is so tight in the relegation battle a few wins can make a massive difference. However, I wouldn't really put Smith down as a firefighter manager. Ideally, he would like a couple of months to look at the squad and get them to play his style of football. Still after Norwich perhaps he felt he couldn't turn this down. Terry coming back is interesting considering he said he was done with football a few weeks ago.

2 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

If you look at their squad it's still pretty decent, certainly not one of the 3 worse. It is so tight in the relegation battle a few wins can make a massive difference. However, I wouldn't really put Smith down as a firefighter manager. Ideally, he would like a couple of months to look at the squad and get them to play his style of football. Still after Norwich perhaps he felt he couldn't turn this down. Terry coming back is interesting considering he said he was done with football a few weeks ago.

His style of football has been a bit crap since Richard O'Kelly left though. 

Absolutely understand him taking it. But, defence was hardly a strong point for his Villa, (until he had a mid-season covid induced pre-season), and defence is where Leicester are completely ****. 

Surprised Leicester didn't go for Benitez, personally.

I think it’s a good move for him and Leicester. They have a decent squad and bringing Terry in will help. Obviously they’re gonna have to keep their WAG’s on lock and key but his defensive knowledge should help them.

Deano needs to believe in his methods which had Walsall and Brentford playing so well. And that first half season during lockdown season imo was the best I’ve seen Villa play for years. 

28 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

Absolutely understand him taking it. But, defence was hardly a strong point for his Villa, (until he had a mid-season covid induced pre-season), and defence is where Leicester are completely ****. 

Surprised Leicester didn't go for Benitez, personally.

Am I the only person who thinks Benitez is yesterday's man? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Am I the only person who thinks Benitez is yesterday's man? 

No, I'm absolutely with you. But of the two, if you want to focus on tightening up a defence, I'd go Benitez over Deano. (And I love Deano!)

18 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

No, I'm absolutely with you. But of the two, if you want to focus on tightening up a defence, I'd go Benitez over Deano. (And I love Deano!)

They dont have defenders to play Rafa style that Faes is a huge accident

Probably Leicester best chance to stay up is to outscore teams

Â