Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Ultimately I think it’s the right call, but it’s very sad.  The fact the vast majority of the fans appear to feel the same means that history will look very fondly on Dean. The positive I am taking from this is that it never turned toxic, which means he will be forever loved by us lot. 

Cheers Dean!! UTV

• Like 1

Absolutely gutted for him. It may be the right and necessary move for the club, but I take no joy in this. I have absolutely nothing but love, respect and gratitude to him. Dean Smith is a Villa legend.

• Like 4

I think a good way to measure a manager is whether they leave the club in a better state than when they arrive. We've been on a bad run recently but we're still in a far, far better spot than when Dean took over.

That extends to a lot of things beyond the pitch too. It's a shame Dean wasn't able to lead us to a trophy or into Europe but I'll certainly remember him more fondly than most of the other managers in the past decade or two. Good luck, Dean!

That said, I think now was the right time for him to go.

Gutted for smith. Clearly loves the club and the fans to a man want nothing more than to see a villa man in the top job getting success.

That being said it’s hard to argue he hadn’t lost his way this season. Can’t have spent the money he has and be this far into a season and still not know what his best formation it, let alone his best team.

He’ll know doubt feel he’s earned the right to try and sort it out but I think this is a mark of where we are as a club. The owners want more and clearly the faith had gone from the owners as well as a fair amount of the supporters, even if the love was still there.

Obviously the correct decision and I'm glad the club have acted swiftly. A pleasant surprise.

Smith tried his best but ultimately just wasnt good enough to get to the next level and the players were visibly putting in worse and worse performances with no sign of change.

Best of luck to him though 👍

Thank you Dean for the club record ten league wins in a row. For promotion back to the Premier League by winning the extreme pressure play-off final! For the amazing Steve McQueen-esque great escape in our last 3 games of the first season back in the Premier League. For finishing much higher the next season and for winning the first four games in a row! For the surreal 7-2 v Liverpool and for the double against Arsenal. So many happy Villa moments. Thank you!

Edited by robby b

I think it's a shame. Feel like he deserved a bit more time given the generally interrupted start to season with injuries and having to fill the gap left by Grealish. but is the way of things now, you're always just a bad run away. 

Made frustrating choices at times, but was generally quite a progressive coach and did well in giving young players a chance which should help us long-term. Wonder if Norwich will be interested now, if they don't already have someone lined up, would be good chance to get another PL job straight away and a low-risk place to go, given their position.

Best of luck anyway, Dean

Â