Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Gutted, not that I don't think he didn't have his faults, but pre season really screwed Dean over, Jack leaving, COVID issues, friendlies being cancelled, how many players missed out on proper pre season and are only now just starting to look fit. Bailey/Buendia still haven't completed 90 mins.

Midfield also needed a revamp in the summer. That can't just be on Smith. 

We would have been desperate to be where we are right now when Bruce was in charge.

Good luck Dean, you lived the dream. thanks for everything!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Now I do hope that our Owners bring in a proper world class Manager or Coach and money should be no object here.

I do not want to see someone fresh to the area or someone who we go through this again with next season and the chopping and changing happens every season or two.

Need someone knew who can carry on and do better  in the work Smith started. Don't ask me who though.

Did Poch get taken??

• Like 1

It’s sad, but I was one who thought we needed to make a change. Dean will forever be remembered positively for being the one who got us promoted. Not many managers leave us with a lasting legacy. We have had some brilliant moments over the past three years. 

However, the reality now is that we are a poor footballing side in the best league in the world. If we continue on this path then we will be back to where we started, and there is no point in doing that.

The change was necessary, we can’t be sentimental about things else we will never get to where we want to be.

Dean is a Villa man, he will forever be a Villa man and I will always applaud him whenever he returns to Villa Park. Thanks for everything. 

Edited by Tayls
  • Like 3

Sad to see him go. Very excited to see who our new manager will be.

I think its a good move from our management i think its very smart move. In a menner we lost our last games its just crushing we need a BIG CHANGE to restart our teams mentality and confidence.  

This move actualy gives me more confidence in upper management of our club. Its shows that they have an idea how to act in difficult times the bravery to act and it shows ambition. 

Edited by Tumblerseven
  • Like 2

Just now, KB_Villan said:

Gutted, not that I don't think he didn't have his faults, but pre season really screwed Dean over, Jack leaving, COVID issues, friendlies being cancelled, how many players missed out on proper pre season and are only now just starting to look fit. Bailey/Buendia still haven't completed 90 mins.

Midfield also needed a revamp in the summer. That can't just be on Smith. 

We would have been desperate to be where we are right now when Bruce was in charge.

Good luck Dean, you lived the dream. thanks for everything!

Think Midfield can be sorted in January if the new guy is given a decent cheque and there should be a fair bit left as we didn't kill all our transfer window money. That's why I believe this happened to get someone in quickly give them time to sort out I any new additions are needed in January.

Thank you Dean.

As someone who has regularly watched Walsall since 2008 it was brilliant to see someone rise from being their youth team coach to caretaker manager to eventual manager and in less than a decade become a premier league manager of his boyhood club. That is something to be proud of.

We've all criticised him at times and he's not perfect but he more than fulfilled his remit when he took over in October 2018. He'll get a terrific reception whenever he returns (get the feeling Norwich would be a good fit for him if he fancies it).

Sometimes you just have to accept a manager has taken a club as far as he can and we've reached that point so think this is a decision in the interest of both parties.

2 minutes ago, Tayls said:

It’s sad, but I was one who thought we needed to make a change. Dean will forever be remembered positively for being the one who got us promoted. Not many managers leave us with a lasting legacy. We have had some brilliant moments over the past three years. 

However, the reality now is that we are a poor footballing side in the best league in the world. If we continue on this path then we will be back to where we started, and there is no point in doing that.

The change was necessary, we can’t be sentimental about things else we will never get to where we want to be.

Dean is a Villa man, he will forever be a Villa man and I will always applaud him whenever he returns to Villa Park. Thanks for everything. 

That is true, this is a business and a club who wants to win things and if need be we can't be holding any emotional feeling towards players or staff if they are not making the best happen with there time at Villa.

If there's any truth to this insubordination and games playing then I expect the new guy to put a stop to it until they do show their worth.

8 minutes ago, maqroll said:

I hear you. But 5 losses in a row with the team looking worse and worse with each game is hard to survive, anywhere. I think the brass were unhappy with last season's finish and a spell like this was never going to be tolerated much longer than it was. 

In the poll, I voted to give him another game after a Soton loss. He'd earned the two week break to try to finally put things right. It is really **** sad that they've cut him loose, but it's a business and it's their money on the line, so I understand it.

The look on his face at the final whistle yesterday made me really feel for Dean. He looked like his dream was shattering before his eyes. I wish things were different. I always look at that Wolves collapse as the point of no return. Had we won that game....

Sad day in Villa Land.

It really was the turning point. My son learned a valuable lesson as a Villa fan that day. As the 2nd Villa goal went in he remarked that game was over and we would win. His face when Wolves scored the 3rd 😔

Edited by Rightdm00
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, jim said:

Shakespeare gone as well according to the blue bird.

Very interesting if that is true. New manager must be all but done if that's the case as Shakespeare would be obvious caretaker for Brighton game.

Given some of the rubbish they've got us playing I'd want McPhee and Danks nowhere near caretaker capacity tbh if it has to come to that.

I don't think there's many managers that can leave with the respect of the fanbase, but Smith does, and deserves it. This year hasn't been great and he's had a bad hand dealt in many respects, but he's been good overall and put some pride back in the club.

Thanks Dean.

• Like 2

A very sad day, for a very good man, But the expectations of PL owners are sometimes un realistic, He was very well liked with us at Brentford and did a great job in laying the foundations to our rise to the PL, We knew full well that when the Villa job came up he would be off and he left on very good terms, like he did at Walsall, that’s the type of man he is.

He won’t be out of work long,  And I will bet a pound to a penny that ROK will be by his side, (And that I think was the main problem with him leaving under strange circumstances) Who you will get is anyone’s guess, but it’s bound to be someone who is on the failed management merry go round!!!.

Good luck Dean, I know you will always be welcome back at Brentford and Villa Park.

• Like 2

I have never felt so conflicted. He had to go really, but I am just so sad he couldn't be the one take us that little bit further.

Normally when  a manager leaves because of poor results, I really glad to see the back of them, but this time I'm just gutted.

Thanks for everything Dean!

3 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

It really was the turning point. My son learned a valuable lesson as a Villa fan that day. As the 2nd Villa goal went in he remarked that game was over and we would win. His face when Wolves scored the 3rd 😔

It was a throwback Villa collapse, and I thought we'd put those behind us.

• Like 1

Â