Dean Smith

Demitri_C

2 minutes ago, jim said:

“Passion, enthusiasm and energy” Was Smith talking about West Ham?

I saw those things in the 10 minutes following the red, and that was about it. Sounds like a man in denial bargaining for his future.

• Like 2

i'm a big fan of Smith but any manager is only a few defeats away from the sack. 4 defeats in a row is poor, regardless of circumstances. 

I desperately hope he turns it around but the board won't accept many more defeats. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I don’t think it was lack of effort. Confidence is shot to bits.  If people think a new manager will change that they will be very disappointed.  But I guess somebody has to be held accountable. 

This is my worry too. 

Something needs to change, I get that, otherwise we’re heading for another relegation battle. However, if we do sack Smith and we realise that actually, squad harmony, low confidence and a general lack of ability is the reason we are where we are, we’re in big trouble. 

The thing that has always concerned me with Smith has been the form without Grealish. There just isn’t any getting away from it. To be honest, I don’t know if he’s the right man for the job anymore, I just worry that a new manager will struggle just as much. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I don’t think it was lack of effort. Confidence is shot to bits.  If people think a new manager will change that they will be very disappointed.  But I guess somebody has to be held accountable. 

Teams always pick up short term under new managers though.

Think back to how awful we were under Lambert in 14/15....Sherwood comes in and we win what 4 out of his first 6 (including FA cup SF). Even Garde's first game was a 0-0 v Man. City which was easily best result of the horrible 15/16.

Bruce got us on a decent unbeaten run when he first came in aswell.

If there's no confidence we can do any better with a new manager mid season well it dosen't say much for owners and Purslow's vision does it.

Looking at fixture list though I wouldn't want a new manager to start with December games though.

16 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Confidence is shot to bits.  If people think a new manager will change that they will be very disappointed.

Well, maybe it could change it...

Confidence is one of those intangible, irrational things, and a the right manager with the right personality could restore confidence.

That said, we still don't know everything that's going on behind the scenes. Have the players lost confidence in their individual abilities? In the system? In Deano personally? In each other?

If the problem is psychological, is there a manager out there who has the personality to steady the ship, who's not merely a good tactician? Does Deano have the ability to steady the ship?

If I'm Purslow or NSWE, those are the things I'd be asking. They have more information about the behind-the-scenes goings on  than any of us do, so we're just going to have to trust them. I just hope that they get it right.

Edited by TomC
Corrected spelling error
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Wurzel said:

Leeds fan on BBC radio 5 slagging Villa fans off for wanting Smith out, and TBH he has a very big point.

Does he? Our record under Smith without Grealish across several seasons is diabolical.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Wurzel said:

Leeds fan on BBC radio 5 slagging Villa fans off for wanting Smith out, and TBH he has a very big point.

Really ? Smith has had great backing financially and look where we are now - yes he did what we brought him to do but he has reached his limit - totally correct now to part company 

2 minutes ago, supermon said:
4 minutes ago, Wurzel said:

Who gives a shit what Leeds fan thinks, he isn't watching us day in day out for full 90mins.

Who gives a shit what any random phone-in fan thinks.

If anyone has the opinion that Smith should be given more time, I'd love them to give some reasons why other than "he got us promoted" or "he's a nice guy".

Just now, Eastie said:

Really ? Smith has had great backing financially and look where we are now - yes he did what we brought him to do but he has reached his limit - totally correct now to part company 

IF we can bring in someone better. 

4 minutes ago, Wurzel said:

Do the home and away every week fans want him out? Not sure they do tbf . Football fans are fickle , so you’ll always get plenty that do want him out after a bad run . Money spent and the last few results haven’t been great. Not sure he’s got it in him to take us to the next level but happy to be proved wrong for a few more games. 

Â