Dean Smith

Demitri_C

5 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

We only got 3 points from those fixtures home and away last season (and Southampton battered us second half down there).

West Ham generally isn't a great match up for us with their physical team so that's looking draw at best especially if our standard of performance dosen't improve significantly.

Going to be a bit of pressure on Southampton away. If we don't win that either it wouldn't be a comfortable two week break for DS.

I don't have much faith in Smith right now but football doesn't work that way. We took 6 points off Arsenal last season yet looked shit tonight. And we usually lose to Man United yet beat them just a few weeks ago, so no the West Ham game isn't a "draw at best". I'm not confident, but a win wouldn't exactly be the shock of the century.

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

No chance mate imo.

Just like Jack wasn’t going anywhere? I think if he fails to get anything against the hammers he will be on very shaky ground.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, string28 said:

dean will fix this just need to use the players and have faith in them in the formation.

I admire your optimism but why do you think that. He picked a terrible side and tactics today and did nothing to change it in a 50 minute first half that was the most one sided match I have seen all season. He did nothing mate. No tweaks even. Just let it happen. Totally lost me there I’m afraid.

1 minute ago, jacketspuds said:

My concern is the lack of a clear direction, which is something I always thought we had. We were supposedly trying to sign Smith Rowe to play alongside Grealish and Buendia, with all 3 behind Watkins, which makes sense. But now we’ve signed Ings, which seems to have completely scuppered everything.

He’s a great player to have in the squad, but we needed a young striker who could be an understudy to Watkins. Instead we’re left with having to try and shoehorn both of them in, which isn’t working at all.

It all feels a bit disjointed, and I’m definitely getting the feeling that Smith relied so heavily on Terry and O’Kelly that he can’t get things to gel with the new coaching team just yet. Our shit injury record so far this season hasn’t helped either, but we have to start pushing on now.

It’s a worry when teams like Crystal Palace, who have a new manager and 54 new players, actually look more settled than us.

100% with you

Just now, Peter Griffin said:

Is that not coaching?

Maybe but not as bad as a lot of that first half, it’s like me when I play FIFA (I’ve only every played FIFA about five times and I’m awful).

1 minute ago, jim said:

Just like Jack wasn’t going anywhere? I think if he fails to get anything against the hammers he will be on very shaky ground.

Yeah I’m rubbish at predictions I give you that. I didn’t think Jack was going because I didn’t believe there was a release clause, I don’t think we would’ve let him go otherwise but yes I was very wrong there.  I don’t think they’ll get rid of Smith, I just don’t.

3 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Tonight was dreadful, but if it makes some fans want us to lose more games to force out a manager who's turned us around and brought us up from the Champiponship to a comfortable mid table team, well, I'd much rather those fans **** off than Smith, personally.

Tonight wasn't good enough, neither was Wolves, but if anyone seriously thinks where we currently are in general is along the lines of the Lambert/Sherwood era, they need to stick a hose in their ears and wash out the shit they have for brains.

Mate. Seriously how many good performances have we put in 2021? Less than 5. If you think it’s more than that then you are either clutching at straws or have very low standards. Arsenal have not done that to another PL team for at least 5 years. Woeful 

8 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I do think eventually owners will say enough is enough but they've probably seen all the disruption from pre season and injuries so far and they'll give him another month at least. We win two of next four and he's back on safe ground.

Win 2/4 and I think they’ll keep him… but barely.  I just have a feeling that he’ll need more than 6/12 points to keep his job.  Wed Edens is ruthless when he needs to be.

1 minute ago, Peter Griffin said:

Smith is a little rattled...'certainly I would question the players, the effort' 

It is not like Dean to slag players off in public

I haven’t heard it and I didn’t think he would say it but if he did, fair shakes to him because he got it wrong but also their performances were not acceptable.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I don’t really understand this. If we need a second striker then he must be as good as or almost as good as the first striker, or what’s the point? A cheap crap second striker is pointless. The problem for me is trying to play them both in every game. Look at the talent the top teams have on their bench every week. I’m not saying they can’t play together in some games, but in a lot of games the impact of bringing on a top striker can make a big difference. If we want to be a top club playing in Europe then we have to think like one. Dean has to stop this experiment and the three at the back experiment before it’s too late. 

Well, if you have two players exactly as good, you either hardly play one, and he gets the hump, or you give them both 19 starts each, and they both get the hump. Or you shoehorn them into the same team and this is what happens.

A young striker with potential to be a future main striker would have been a good option for the same reason we wouldn't sign a keeper as good as Martinez to be his backup., 

Just now, ender4 said:

Win 2/4 and I think they’ll keep him… but barely.  I just have a feeling that he’ll need more than 6/12 points to keep his job.  Wed Edens is ruthless when he needs to be.

I think he'd be o.k, would keep us mid table and probably only a point or two off 10th. Something like two draws and he's in big trouble as suddenly it's a 7 match winless run and we eventually have to do better than that in seasons if we want to properly challenge.

• Like 1

Predicted a 3-1 loss and a continuation of our poor form. We cannot defend at the moment and the formation we are playing doesn’t play to our strengths at all. Was far too obvious what was going to happen. 
We’ll continue with this run for a little longer, things will probably improve, but we’ll be in a relegation scrap for sure. 

Â