Dean Smith

Demitri_C

23 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I just hate Leeds fans at this point to be honest, so its hard for me to give them any credit.

Too close for comfort to us in the table for my liking at the moment as well, need to win our next game and batter them for daylight or we will never hear the end of it. lol

A football chat on our drive the other day involved me, my postie who is from York and the parcel force guy who is a local, (we live near Inverness). The parcel force guy “supports” Liverpool and Celtic and is very into his football. However he told me before the postie arrived he was on a downer with football at the moment, I wonder why? Then the postie shows up and when asked who he supports, in his words said, “top team, Leeds”. 

Now I like both of these guys and they’re both around my age, (57), but that brief conversation just about sums up a lot of football supporters. One a glory hunter and the other has heard a few media outlets praising up his team and took on the deluded arrogance common in clubs like Leeds and Newcastle etc. I remember getting trapped in a pub in Sutton a few years ago by an incredible Man City bore who insisted on telling me about Man City winning the UEFA Cup and brushing aside my attempt to tell him of my trip to Rotterdam on 26 May 1982. You just have to smile and try your best to ignore them but it ain’t easy!

P.S. Having a 7-2 in the locker is handy but I’m keeping it for “special occasions”. 🤣

Edited by DaveAV1
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, DCJonah said:

He says something that I've read in athletic article written about our improvements and heard other pundits say, when he talks about how little changes to the team we've been forced to make. 

It seems a lot of neutral observers see it as a positive, that we've been able to play most of the same players so far. Yet this is actually viewed as a negative by some on here. 

I think any manager in the world would play his best team every week if he can, Liverpool did it for 3 years or so, Inter Milan rarely rotate except the wing backs and look at successful Chelsea teams under Jose you could name that team every week or even that Leicester title winning team

Rotation for the sake of Rotation is useless

Edited by Zatman

21 hours ago, TRO said:

We can't play like we did against West Ham every week and think we can win either.

It depends what defines " Better"

but defending well has a place to play in " Better ".....The name of the game is 3 points....if you can do it in style all the better, but that is not always possible either...because in doing so, we let teams in....its that balance is the key to improvement.

You may think we played better against West Ham, but in doing so, we allowed them to play better too.

There are some teams in this league that are deceiving, they look like a push over, but they are not.....Brighton, will be another, where we need to be on our guard against complacency, and not respecting them by playing gung ho.

I accept its great to watch, but when the ball ends up in our onion bag, its not such a great watch.

Its easy for the tide to wash away the sand, not so easy to wash away the rocks......We showed resillience and resolve against Arsenal, despite their perseverence, and yes I accept, that it could have been different on another day, every varying game can, I guess our Liverpool game will be different on another day, we can't keep expecting to do that......I thought there was some tremendous defensive perfomances in that Arsenal game and I think that should be applauded.....we still mustered a bit of stardust from Traore too, but not so much as usual as you say.

We have to learn to respect the opposition a bit more on our journey....even Emi said " We took West Ham for granted a bit" it showed to be honest....he said "we was sloppy"....his words not mine.

I though the turnaround in approach from Dean was tremendous.

Mark my words.....Brighton on Saturday will be tough....they are harder to beat than their league position, suggests.

we have to be sure what "Better" really means.

Absolutely agree....Brighton will be tough has they are rich vein of form at the moment and individual performances have been good

We do have to respect the opposition and i think we have in most games.

In terms of being 'better' im on about the small things that have recently crept back in to our game, the dropping off, sitting deep, and to some extent our shape.  This has restricted our own play, we have less possession.  You could call it a bit of class....composure.

As a coach myself I call being 'better' the 5 yard rule.  Lets have the defenders defending the box 5 yards higher...not behind the keeper.....lets have the full backs playing 5 yards wide....giving the winger no space or only pass it back....lets give the midfielders 5 yards higher so that they can pick up the second ball or a clearance from defence....support the attack..as at the moment they are in the box too...even Grealish is on the byline..we dont want him there...we want him in the middle...like arsenal away.....pass out....run...play Wakins in...goal.......its fine lines but for me they can and have shown it before christmas....pressing in  numbers rather than Wakins doing it on his own.

Grealish has been marked out of the last three games...still done good...but if he is marked by two or three players...what are the 'free players doing'

Lets be bit more proactive....give the oppo something to think about...rather than for 80 mins against arsenal and southampton say...we will sit...come on then...show us what you have...more organised and efficient rather than bodies thrown everywhere.....so far we have been really good and even the media are saying good things.....for me i dont want to see the hard work done before Christmas fade away due to very small things...yes we will win some games...yes we will lose. Im all losing when its against the better team and showing respect when needed.....but lets not give them the chance as much like the past couple games.

Edited by Bazmonkey
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Bazmonkey said:

Absolutely agree....Brighton will be tough has they are rich vein of form at the moment and individual performances have been good

In terms of being 'better' im on about the small things that have recently crept back in to our game, the dropping off, sitting deep, and to some extent our shape.  This has restricted our own play, we have less possession.  You could call it a bit of class....composure.

As a coach myself I call being 'better' the 5 yard rule.  Lets have the defenders defending the box 5 yards higher...not behind the keeper.....lets have the full backs playing 5 yards wide....giving the winger no space or only pass it back....lets give the midfielders 5 yards higher so that they can pick up the second ball or a clearance from defence....support the attack..as at the moment they are in the box too...even Grealish is on the byline..we dont want him there...we want him in the middle...like arsenal away.....pass out....run...play Wakins in...goal.......its fine lines but for me they can and have shown it before christmas....pressing in  numbers rather than Wakins doing it on his own.

Grealish has been marked out of the last three games...still done good...but if he is marked by two or three players...what are the 'free players doing'

Lets be bit more proactive....give the oppo something to think about...rather than for 80 mins against arsenal and southampton say...we will sit...come on then...show us what you have...more organised and efficient rather than bodies thrown everywhere.....so far we have been really good and even the media are saying good things.....for me i dont want to see the hard work done before Christmas fade away due to very small things...yes we will win some games...yes we will lose. Im all losing when its against the better team and showing respect when needed.....but lets not give them the chance as much like the past couple games.

Totally agree.

• I have highlighted 2 significant points, I entirely agree with.....you can't press effectively with one player, it has to be a group.
  • What are the free players doing indeed......ball watching is my suspicion.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I think Smith might be a contender for Manager of the Season, only Moyes might pip him to it or the bucketman

Cue the Leeds twitter page accompanying the presentation of the award with a video played to the tune of Rocketman by Elton John.

"Bucketmaaaaan, he's in a league of his own."

21 hours ago, TRO said:

Dave, I totally agree.....I enjoyed watching them back.

I have detected similarities in many things despite the game being different in many ways now.

I have  a sneaky suspicion some things Ron did, Dean is doing too.....like the age profile, all the players have a bonding.

The game has changed slightly, defences were a bit more rigid so they must have found it much more difficult to cope with how dynamic Saunders Villa were.

The off the ball movement is superb. Little dink up to head of Withe or the feet of Shaw, one touch for control and bang, bang bang, we're away. Boggles my mind that we weren't seen as much of a 'footballing side' back then when as recently as 2015 we would be hailed as revolutionary. Described as 'hard working' rather than incisive and relentless. 

I say I don't care about style, but if I had to pick one to watch forever then 80/81 and 20/21 are my cup of tea. 

• Like 1

Don’t think this has been posted yet (no hits on forum search) but here is a link to an article by Statsbomb website. 

It is a simply fantastic study into our style of play this season. I do not think I have read a more in-depth analytical report on Villa. It’s very long but so, so worth spending the time reading it. Enjoy.  

https://statsbomb.com/2021/02/aston-villa-2020-21-deep-dive/

At the time of writing, Aston Villa have played 21 games of their 2020/2021 Premier League season. Here is where they rank in a few choice performance measures this campaign vs last:

Points per game: 0.92 (17th) in 19/20 vs 1.67 (7th) in 20/21

Goal Difference Per Game: -0.68 (18th) vs 0.57 (7th)

Non-penalty Expected Goal Difference Per Game: -0.62 (19th) vs 0.31 (5th)

How about that? From relegation candidates (probably deserving it, in their case) to in the Europa League hunt after one season back in the top flight. Such a turnaround is worthy of a look into how they got there........

Edited by eholm
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bazmonkey said:

Agree with most of this but I think that arsenal home was tactically excellent. Arsenal play in a way where they will look to get the ball in behind the defence in the channels. Using saka, Pepe, bellerin and (usually) Tierney (we were fortunate that played Cedric LB.

By playing a slightly deeper back line, we nullified all there attempts to get in behind our full back. We knew that, allowing arsenal to have the ball in front of us would stifle them. I think it's why nakamba played in there too get stuck in to the midfield when they tried to play it around I'm front of us. Theyve been called powderpuff and said they have no cutting edge on the back of the game against us. It's because of us, in my opinion.

Yes, we took some away from the attacking intent, but I think Smith trusted jack, Watkins, traore and Barkley to be able to get us a goal. We could've scored more, really. 

When I see criticism of Smith, it'll be this kind of game I remember. Where we set up with a clear gameplan, it comes off perfectly and we win. I think arsenal could still be playing now and wouldn't have scored.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

The game has changed slightly, defences were a bit more rigid so they must have found it much more difficult to cope with how dynamic Saunders Villa were.

The off the ball movement is superb. Little dink up to head of Withe or the feet of Shaw, one touch for control and bang, bang bang, we're away. Boggles my mind that we weren't seen as much of a 'footballing side' back then when as recently as 2015 we would be hailed as revolutionary. Described as 'hard working' rather than incisive and relentless. 

I say I don't care about style, but if I had to pick one to watch forever then 80/81 and 20/21 are my cup of tea. 

Dave the 1977 side was a bit special too, when we finished 4th.....we was turning good teams over right left and centre......The other thing I noticed from those days, was how the headers created openings, it was more widely used then.

I can see in the future, heading the ball, being outlawed....the campaign is gathering pace.

20 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

Thanks Doug. Proper tackling, proper shorts, proper hair cuts, proper football. Just proper!!

The bit that tickled me was withey getting the call for obstruction in the Everton Game, in 6.35minutes in.......That would possibly be given the other way, today.

I can't remember the last time I saw a call for obstruction.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

Dave the 1977 side was a bit special too, when we finished 4th.....we was turning good teams over right left and centre......The other thing I noticed from those days, was how the headers created openings, it was more widely used then.

I can see in the future, heading the ball, being outlawed....the campaign is gathering pace.

There's no way heading gets banned. It's rightly a hot topic, but it's not like they still play with waterlogged leather balls. 

Head injuries from football are much more likely to come from colluding with another player and concussion subs is a step in the right direction. 

I don't think it's like rugby where there is a body of evidence that current practices cause brain injuries. 

Edited by Sam-AVFC
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

There's no way heading gets banned. It's rightly a hot topic, but it's not like they still play with waterlogged leather balls. 

Head injuries from football are much more likely to come from colluding with another player and concussion subs is a step in the right direction. 

I don't think it's like rugby where there is a body of evidence that current practices cause brain injuries. 

No, but the evidence is accumulating. I don't think it will be banned but I can see it being limited especially for kids. Maybe even a ban up until the age of x until the brain is fully developed (haven't a clue what age this is).

It would be interesting to see what effect the newer lighter balls have, but to wait and see could be playing a dangerous game. They are lighter but move a lot faster. I assume this effect can be modelled as opposed to waiting to see whether people end up with neurological diseases in 40 years time.

1 hour ago, sparrow1988 said:

No, but the evidence is accumulating. I don't think it will be banned but I can see it being limited especially for kids. Maybe even a ban up until the age of x until the brain is fully developed (haven't a clue what age this is).

It would be interesting to see what effect the newer lighter balls have, but to wait and see could be playing a dangerous game. They are lighter but move a lot faster. I assume this effect can be modelled as opposed to waiting to see whether people end up with neurological diseases in 40 years time.

It's possible in the future that (some) players might wear some kind of head protection, like a scrum cap maybe. I don't think they'll ban heading the ball so it seems the logical solution.

That said when I played rugby I was far too vain to wear a scrum cap, and I probably got concussed at least half a dozen times as a result. But kids do stupid things to look cool, and I'm sure a lot of footballers won't want to cramp their style either!

7 hours ago, Zatman said:

I think Smith might be a contender for Manager of the Season, only Moyes might pip him to it or the bucketman

If Wilder didn't get it last season, or Nuno the season before, no way Bielsa should get it this season.

• Like 1

Â