Dean Smith

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I thought we actually agreed on something but then realised we were talking about 2 different games. 

I'm amazed people still feel we deserved something out of that home game from last season..

Away game i agree with.

But we all see the game differently.

Edited by villalad21

36 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I'm amazed people still feel we deserved something out of that home game from last season..

Away game i agree with.

But we all see the game differently.

You say that too the 37k Villa fans that defended every ball along with the players for 93 minutes.  

Maybe it didn’t have the same feeling on tv. I would have watched it back but I was too heart broken. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

For what it's worth, I think we deserved at least a point last season against Liverpool. I can't think of one pundit who said we' didn't, even Mane came out after the game and said we were good. Just because it was all hands to the pump. That defensive effort deserved more. When Inter Milan best Barcelona in the champions league final, everyone was full of praise for their fine, rearguard action. Sometimes, I  love when a team withstands relentless pressure, it requires a disciplined effort from all and when successful it's a thing to admire.

I think at times this defending its a great event and now a rare sight in football. I think the issue is with balance, some people want that type of football every week which is certainly unsustainable in the Premier League 

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

I think at times this defending its a great event and now a rare sight in football. I think the issue is with balance, some people want that type of football every week which is certainly unsustainable in the Premier League 

Agreed. Incidentally, I thought West Brom were superb in keeping Man City at just the one goal. It was reminiscent of us last season only without the last minute gift.

Good to watch Dean’s press conference in the lead up to the Burnley match.

He doesn’t create a lot of headlines with his remarks but he has a very measured judgment of performances. 

He described Jacob Ramsey’s performance as ‘steady’ highlighting that he had some good touches but had also been dispossessed a couple of times. Dean said he was pleased that Ramsey hadn’t been fazed by being dispossessed. 

When asked about Martinez he praised his character and attitude. He also said he would have expected Martinez to have made all of the saves against Wolves except for the Demdonker effort. 

It was good to hear a fair, honest and professional opinion which matched what we all observed on the pitch but wasn’t influenced by hype. 

I always feel that the Villa manager is on their way out when they are describing a performance in a way which completely goes against what anyone else watching the match has seen. I think it is when the pressure starts to affect their judgment and therefore their performance. We can all remember former managers in that habit.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, mallett said:

I always feel that the Villa manager is on their way out when they are describing a performance in a way which completely goes against what anyone else watching the match has seen. I think it is when the pressure starts to affect their judgment and therefore their performance. We can all remember former managers in that habit.

This is an interesting hypothesis and on first glance I agree with it, Bruce must've been on his way out for a lot longer than I realised though

• Haha 1

Well sometimes the manager is trying to put a spin on events so their statements for the press aren’t actually their real judgment.
Mourinho for example has his messages he wants to get out there. He is also often trying to play mind games. Bruce isn’t as Machiavellian as Jose but he is always aware of casting himself in a positive light with his messaging.

Smith comes over as more straight forward than that at the moment. I think you could tell he was feeling the heat before lockdown though.

29 minutes ago, YouUnastanFren said:

Bruce must've been on his way out for a lot longer than I realised though

9 minutes ago, dudevillaisnice said:

Did everything but score tonight, can’t blame Dean at all. Need some more quality in though it was evident when looking at our bench.. hopefully get them in Jan. 

But youd think with £200m+ spent we would have the quality.  Just not seeing £20M in traoe  at all. Shifting Grealish back to centre to accommodate El Ghazi wide was questionable IMO - and sticking with it even more so.

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

What a different team to last year. 

Indeed!

Genuinely enjoying watching us at the moment and positive about the future.

Smith seemed upbeat in the interview, plenty of positives to take from that for sure but he must be annoyed also. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, foreveryoung said:

Did the game not frustrate F**** out of you, when you have almost 30 shots on goal and can't finish 1

Absolutely. Screaming at the TV. But ill take that over how we looked last year. 

We're building the squad, the quality we've lacked today, will come. 

Â