Dean Smith

Demitri_C

2 minutes ago, VillaAlex said:

Every game other than Leeds we've shown something season which is a massive credit to Dean and the team. Massive improvement on last season. I think we've been a bit unlucky with our points total so far.

A bit more clinical on the goals front we could win this league

• Like 2

12 hours ago, VillaChris said:

The doubt I have is I just don't think he's got that ruthless streak in final third.

Probably because he doesnt get the service, we just dont provide service to our central strikers.  How many chances we created for Ollie last night.  Considering we had 27 shots, how many were in to Ollie.  We know the guy can score, I think your assessment that he hasnt got a ruthless streak is wrong, when he has been given chances he has scored this season but we are just not a team that provides chances to our central striker over the last two seasons. 

As I said last night, we do the creative stuff in midfield but when we get close to the box we often have the player go on a solo run and try themselves like Jack did before he skyed it over or El Ghazi did a number of times.  We dont cross into Ollie, we dont pass into Ollie, we dont slide in Ollie.  Ollie either has to drop deep or he ends up being a decoy for the player with the ball. 

So many times I saw waiting for the pass as the other player was closing in on goal and him not receiving the ball.  Was he in the right position or best position for a pass.......no, not always but there were a few I thought "pass to Ollie".  

I think it's hard to judge Ollie sometimes because we arent feeding him enough balls

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

If we are as good as most think, why don't we raise our expectations a little and expect Europe this season. Wolves did it Why should we take midtable as a success, after the start we had and performances we are putting out

I doubt Southampton will be happy with midtable the way they have started.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

If we are as good as most think, why don't we raise our expectations a little and expect Europe this season. Wolves did it Why should we take midtable as a success, after the start we had and performances we are putting out

Soon becomes a stick to beat the manager if we don’t achieve it. 

There’s unfortunately some that are not convinced by Smith and never will be.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

We've won two of the last seven, losing games to Leeds, Southampton, Brighton, West Ham and failing to beat Burnley on the way, and one of those two victories only came because of a injury time penalty.

Truth is we had a good start to the season that means we're not in a worrisome position, but haven't been doing brilliantly since, nothing to suggest we will be or should be challenging for Europe.

Four points from Burnley and Wolves with injuries, europe is unlikely but if we can win the next two and with our games in hand then maybe we can make a good go of finishing top half, which will be a good achievement. All that's easier said than done though, need Watkins and Grealish to return to goal scoring form, Barkley returning should help as well.

12 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

- Survived relegation by a point. 

- Spend above average but not exorbitant amount in transfers 

- Decent start to season finds you mid-table

- Set expectations at European places 

Obama What GIF

I guess your expectations have dropped somewhat over the years. Not me, I still expect the best, we are a massive club remember, have billionaire owners and one of the best players in the league, why should we not want more than be happy with midtable mediocracy.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Biggest problem is our squad isn’t strong enough to cope with a couple of injuries or suspensions.  We are growing nicely but generally as a team and squad we arent ready to get there for that type of lofty position

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I guess your expectations have dropped somewhat over the years. Not me, I still expect the best, we are a massive club remember, have billionaire owners and one of the best players in the league, why should we not want more than be happy with midtable mediocracy.

I don't doubt our place is competing for the european places along with deep cup runs. I just feel it's a bit unfair to foist that on Dean after the last decade of ineptitude. 

When Dean's progress stalls or our performances start showing regression then I'll worry until then Dean, in my opinion, has been turning water into wine since his appointment. 

Edited by Rightdm00
Spelling
  • Like 3

We're 4th in the table on xPTS with two games in hand.  If we would have won the game yesterday, we would be in 8th place and exactly where we should be, again with two games in hand.  Every team in above us in the table is overachieving, except for Chelsea and Man City.

Deano has done a phenomenal job coaching the squad and setting us up for success on the pitch.  This team is going places if we can continue to recruit well and invest in the right players to drive us forward.

image.thumb.png.5e477efbf9a1122ea56d6d3ffae5ff6d.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

Might be a massive club (debatable) but we’re not a brilliant team. We were relegation candidates six months ago.

46 minutes ago, KMitch said:

We're 4th in the table on xPTS with two games in hand.  If we would have won the game yesterday, we would be in 8th place and exactly where we should be, again with two games in hand.  Every team in above us in the table is overachieving, except for Chelsea and Man City.

Deano has done a phenomenal job coaching the squad and setting us up for success on the pitch.  This team is going places if we can continue to recruit well and invest in the right players to drive us forward.

image.thumb.png.5e477efbf9a1122ea56d6d3ffae5ff6d.png

We should also not underestimate the potential that our new set up, with the development players, can and should produce. Keep the really good ones where possible and selling a few of the slightly lesser players will both save the club a fortune and also be self funding. We’re aiming to build a footballing culture through the club that should stand us in good stead for the future. Not only will we benefit for the young players that we’re developing, as our star rises young players will want to come and be part of our academy. The future is bright. 

Edited by DaveAV1
  • Like 1

Â