Dean Smith

Demitri_C

On 13/02/2019 at 23:36, mikeyp102 said:

It’s crazy isn’t it, Aston Villa is a graveyard for managers and even players. We’ve tried experiences to this league, we’ve tried up and coming. We’ve tried defensive, we’ve tried attacking. All seem to come undone by Aston Villa.

Having a quick read through the last few days' umpteen pages in this thread, so apologies if this already has been mentioned, but I'd say you've pin-pointed the problem right there.

3 minutes ago, TB said:

Having a quick read through the last few days' umpteen pages in this thread, so apologies if this already has been mentioned, but I'd say you've pin-pointed the problem right there.

I think we go for manager that gets you thinking "hmm mm might do okay, lets give him a whirl"  - Contrast that to when we appointed for example  Graham Taylor - it was pretty obvious he was going to take us places. 

25 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

33 % win rate now. It's shockingly bad.

Still better than the 27% Bruce had with us this season with this squad, but yeah.

It's far from good enough.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Pimlico_Villa said:

There are plenty of Wingers. 

Yeah but the point is that they are all shite, ditto the two fullbacks, and Thor, Hourihane, Jed and Whelan. Smith' does really have anything to work with apart from McGinn, Jack and Tammy.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Yeah but the point is that they are all shite, ditto the two fullbacks, and Thor, Hourihane, Jed and Whelan. Smith' does really have anything to work with apart from McGinn, Jack and Tammy.

True - but that still should be enough to beat the likes of Reading and Wigan - 

13 minutes ago, hippo said:

On current form we win 3 of those - is that enough for him to keep his Job ? 

It really depends on what the board have in mind, how desperate the situation is that we get promoted as soon as possible. How invested they are in a long term plan.

I’m reluctant to refer to him as it’s like I’m pinning all my hopes on Smith emulating him, but Norwich won three of their final sixteen games in 17/18. They stuck with Farke and now are looking like they made the right decision.

If we stick with Smith will he do likewise here? Don’t know, based on how things have gone for us, I’d guess no.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dukes said:

Sorry, but thats just absolute rubbish.

Given the chance to play at Villa Park (Average attendance 34k week in and week out, and train at Bodymoor Heath versus playing at Griffin Park (Average less than 10k) or Brentford Community Stadium (capacity 17,250) any player released by Chelsea, Arsenal or Spurs would certainly choose Villa even before you take into account club stature and history.

I make you right with the choices between us and Villa not to mention a far better contract money wise.

Do the people who chastise the managerial appointments think the likes of Fonseca, Benitez etc would have been chomping at the bit to manage Glen Whelan, Alan Hutton and Neil Taylor?

Fact is until we get the basics right, with a group of younger, quality players who can improve, as well as giving a manager some money to work with and a grand vision, we won't be getting any of those types in.

Smith was willing to take on the challenge for a variety of obvious reasons.

As has been pointed out he might not be the long term solution but I would still rather have him preside over our new start that Steve Bruce.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 2

On 13/02/2019 at 23:28, Stevo985 said:

Another awful performance. We really have been largely toilet for the past couple of months.

I'm bought into the whole long term vision and let Smith build something. But I still think he's doing a pretty crap job at this very moment.

The problem being, is ...the job that's been done and the results of it are not always in parallel.

He could be working hard behind the scenes, but the work is not being transformed on to the pitch.

Its a bit like a prospector selling cars.....The work goes in the contacts being made is commendable, but no sales.....then a few months down the line the hard work kicks in and Bingo, all looks rosey.

28 minutes ago, hippo said:

On current form we win 3 of those - is that enough for him to keep his Job ? 

Would 3 wins be enough to do what? Make it to 6th place do you mean?.. If so, then I still am not sure as teams above us are 7pts+ ahead now and a few also have a game in hand. So it would be salt in the wound if we won all remaining games and still missed out on 6th.

However, it would be enough to convince me he is infact up to the task and I would certainly change my stance/view point.

I am under no illusion though.

13 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

It really depends on what the board have in mind, how desperate the situation is that we get promoted as soon as possible. How invested they are in a long term plan.

I’m reluctant to refer to him as it’s like I’m pinning all my hopes on Smith emulating him, but Norwich won three of their final sixteen games in 17/18. They stuck with Farke and now are looking like they made the right decision.

If we stick with Smith will he do likewise here? Don’t know, based on how things have gone for us, I’d guess no.

And this also sums it up perfectly.

Edited by AvfcRigo82

1 minute ago, TRO said:

The problem being, is ...the job that's been done and the results of it are not always in parallel.

He could be working hard behind the scenes, but the work is not being transformed on to the pitch.

Its a bit like a prospector selling cars.....The work goes in the contacts being made is commendable, but no sales.....then a few months down the line the hard work kicks in and Bingo, all looks rosey.

By which your hopes of a promotion are already dashed by that time.

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

Nail on the head.

50 minutes ago, sne said:

Still better than the 27% Bruce had with us this season with this squad, but yeah.

It's far from good enough.

And indeed better - just - than the 31% that Bruce actually achieved (well, 30.7 if you’re really quibbling).

Still, we’re all agreed it’s not good enough.

2 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

And indeed better - just - than the 31% that Bruce actually achieved (well, 30.7 if you’re really quibbling).

Still, we’re all agreed it’s not good enough.

Agreed, 3 wins out of 11 in the league for Bruce and 7 out of 20 for Smith is both poor.

• Like 1

Â