Dean Smith

Demitri_C

6 hours ago, Jareth said:

It's a worry I think if we do get promoted. Seems only Wolves have bucked this trend. Maybe we'll be ok given the resources behind us. I'll worry about that after the promotion party though. 

Brighton, bournmouth and huddesfed have all managed it, it's not impossible.  I just loved watching fulham last year. What a side they were.

53 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Brighton, bournmouth and huddesfed have all managed it, it's not impossible.  I just loved watching fulham last year. What a side they were.

Watford too, and the thing they all have in common apart from maybe Huddersfield is they all play positive possession football. Like what we're trying to do with Smith. I didn't see Fulham struggling as bad as they have done, they might still come good but they'll have to find a way to stop shipping so many goals.

If we went up as we stand we'd get battered most weeks, if the side keep improving as much as they have done over the last few weeks and we address the unbalanced squad in Jan then we will look a lot more like it in the second half of the season. Sensible investment in the summer if we do go up and we're certainly more in the wolves/watford/bournemouth mould than anything else. So we'd probably do better than our shambolic last 2/3 years in the top flight.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Reivax_Villa said:

It's really about spending wisely in the premier league.

Fulham spent 100 million in transfers and are bottom in the league.

I think that we would need a blend of premier league players and some 2-3 top 6 quality players.

Long way to go yet. There’ll be 7 or so sides in the mix. 

We’d need to spend big if we got promoted this season. I reckon another season and in the Championship and with Smith given the chance to build his own team could lead to promotion with a stronger team that has more chance of survival. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, westholmevillan said:

Spot on he's way out of his depth!

On what grounds is he 'out of his depth'

Edit. Never mind, you're the bloke that thinks Callum O'hare is a deep lying midfielder. 

Edited by av1

1 hour ago, hippo said:

I have my doubts that Smith will get us promoted this season or next. He certainly doesn't strike me as premier league material. Time will tell I suppose.

You have no evidence to back it up, so I hope you are aware how cynical this comes across.

Also, you've been saying the same thing for about four weeks now. I believe I remember glimmers of you saying you would give it time and that it was too early to judge, but you don't seem to have given it very long.

Henry is a disaster at the moment, still looking for his first win. I think Henry would of got us demoted from the championship.

I think Dean Smith has a very good record considering what he has had to play with at brentford and Walsall. DS deserves the chance to take us up and if he does which I'm confident in him, his dream will of come true I guess. Taking his fav club into the premiership under his watch, it's his time to shine and he knows it.

When I look at Dean on match days you see a man full of confidence in what he's doing, he has made teams that will go out there and pull other teams to bits all while those teams that were pulled to bits cost alot and still played a decent game. Dean Smith seems like a very intellectual man with an excellent understanding of the modern game, he has it in him to go far he does as a manager and win trophies , he just needs the rite backing.

Edited by Dave-R
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, PieFacE said:

WTF is "Premier League material"? Does it mean a fancy name or something?

Is Dyche Premier League material? Hughton? Howe? 

Exactly, similar things were said about Sarri, going to Empoli then he did a great job with little money, then again when he landed the Napoli job as the club was too big for him etc. Now look at him. Smith is a good coach first and foremost, give a top flight squad I'd back him to get the best out of it. Hopefully he gets us up, he gets backed accordingly and we can find out. 

Â