Pre-Match Thread

alreadyexists

It is essentially Bruce's team. I'm not sure what you were expecting. I thought he might play Kodjia and Abraham. And Bolassie maybe but he's still not totally match fit.

It's all about how they play though I guess. Plus the tactical changes as and when needed. It's a very atracking bench.

Just finishing my pint... then I'm tabbing up there. Let's see how we go.

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Surely if a manager ever gets a free pass on his team selection, it's his first game after having just days with a lot of the squad. 

Guess not 

In fairness if people turned around and said “yes!!! Great team! Finally!” people would respond by saying that that team selection would have been criticised under Bruce.

1 minute ago, Mazrim said:

It is essentially Bruce's team. I'm not sure what you were expecting. I thought he might play Kodjia and Abraham. And Bolassie maybe but he's still not totally match fit.

It's all about how they play though I guess. Plus the tactical changes as and when needed. It's a very atracking bench.

Just finishing my pint... then I'm tabbing up there. Let's see how we go.

What's tabbing?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It looks like a Bruce team, but it won’t be. Bruce would have had Elmo and Adomah firing in aimless crosses all game from the wings. Smith won’t be doing that so let’s wait to see the formations and see how it plays out. 

Edited by mikeyjavfc

Can't really complain too much about the team, not only has he only been in the job less than a week but he's only had the whole squad to work with for a matter of days. Expecting wholesale changes to the line-up is a bit unfair. Although I'm surprised Bree and El Ghazi haven't made the squad at all.

What's going on with Bolasie though? How long is he going to need before he can actually start a game? He's had a good few cameo appearances now (and played well in them, importantly) on top of another week plus now to get his fitness up with the international break...surely he could at least play an hour now?

2 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

In fairness if people turned around and said “yes!!! Great team! Finally!” people would respond by saying that that team selection would have been criticised under Bruce.

He has picked a balanced back 4. How many times did bruce do that this season? 

Grealish back in a number 10 role as well. 

No one is saying it's amazing but how different did people really think it would be? The attacking side didn't require a complete change in players, it needs a change in style and mentality. 

• Like 3

The important absence and the key absence is ...... Bruce and his disciples ! 

Nothing wrong with any of those players other than what Bruce turned them into. Now he's gone, they can revert back to being the players that we signed !

3 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

He has picked a balanced back 4. How many times did bruce do that this season? 

Grealish back in a number 10 role as well. 

No one is saying it's amazing but how different did people really think it would be? The attacking side didn't require a complete change in players, it needs a change in style and mentality. 

Yeah I agree, it’s possibly just a case of posters transitioning and not wanting to appear inconsistent with their views on team selections. Which is reasonable I think.

It’s not a bad team, there will be one or two players in there with a point to prove to (I’m looking at you, Nyland, Taylor, Adomah). 

If Hutton was left back for Taylor, Elmo at right back and Bolasie was on the wing, most on here would say that’s an exciting side. I know I would.

Edited by Shropshire Lad