Ratings & Reactions: Millwall v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/10/18 at 22:59

8 minutes ago, PompeyVillan said:

Also golden boy Grealish is getting on my tits. He sulks and moans all game, every game.

He tries to do too much, he either makes pointless safe passes backwards or slows the play down so much that defenders have time to get back into position. He's actively stiffling our attacks.

I'd drop him. 

Or perhaps coach him?

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

This is very much Bruce's legacy.

The real mistake was not getting rid of him MUCH earlier.

Hopefully they’ve spent that time getting important things in place and we get some payback from these, on the surface of it, wasted couple of months. 

• Like 2

When you score 4 goals in 2 games and get 1 point for your efforts then well you know what the problem is.

Millwall had the worse record in the division from coming back from losing positions, yet we still messed it up.

Need a new manager in before Swansea and hopefully  get Collins in until January to sort this shambles out- if not we could be looking at a relegation battle.

What is frustrating is that the division is poor and with a half decent recruitment policy (  Premier League prem quality keeper on loan, a solid central defender, less  flashy midfielders on loan for example) this summer Villa could have been right up there- instead the season is nearly a right off already.

Bah.

To be quite honest it is precisely what I expected. KMac could not organise the proverbial in a brewery and the mess Bruce has left the defence in is little short of criminal. We need a decent manager asap who is going to kick the arses of the players before we piss away more points against poor sides. In isolation this result does not bother me too much but we have got to start building for the future with a new manager.

24 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

The worst thing is our problems are far deeper than any manager. We ain’t getting promoted this year with this squad. I don’t care who’s in charge. 

Exactly. Chances of that were reduced sacking bruce. Sam allardyce could do a job this season with these players and maybe get us up because of his man management skills and overall pragmatism.

Any new manager coming in with a different style and philosophy is going to need at least 12 months. Will he get that time to develop a squad worthy of going up?....not a chance with our 'expectation levels' and subsequent impatience...we are Aston Villa you know... we SHOULD be in the premiere league!!

So around and around we go

The shirt itself should be motivation enough. A team without purpose, without desire, bereft of all confidence. How as it got to this ? I wasn't Bruce's greatest fan, however, the players can not shirk responsibility for such performances. Those players are good enough to beat Millwall ,that's a fact, but you don't win any game without effort and that is the least requirement we as supporters expect. There are no excuses for that shambles today. I'm appalled at the mentality of this team , it's like Millwall could smell the weakness in our team today, and for me, that's unforgivable. 

• Like 2

The thing is.....you can blame Bruce for the imbalanced squad/lack of defenders and tactics etc

BUT.....you can't blame Bruce for the lack of effort, desire and will to win today.....that's purely down to the players!  Take Hutton and McGinn out if the team and we are largely left with a bunch of gutless and spineless individuals who are not fit the grace the shirt of this great football club, and that to me is totally unforgiveable!

1 hour ago, PompeyVillan said:

Also golden boy Grealish is getting on my tits. He sulks and moans all game, every game.

He tries to do too much, he either makes pointless safe passes backwards or slows the play down so much that defenders have time to get back into position. He's actively stiffling our attacks.

I'd drop him. 

I remember seeing an analysis of Eden Hazard about 18 months ago.  They were showing how well he'd played for the first 70 minutes - skilful, visionary, insightful.  Then he scored a wonder goal to put Chelsea in front and his performance went backwards.

It wasn't that he started playing poorly, or that he was showboating as such, but he wanted too much time on the ball, every time.  He wasn't losing it, but without the urgency to his play, the opposition were able to get behind the ball and all momentum was lost.

The analyst was saying that it was costing Chelsea - and they conceded an equaliser at the death - because it was almost as if he knew he was so much better than everyone else and just wanted to admire his own work.

And that's where I've been at with Grealish for quite a while now.  He plays like Hazard used to play.  It looks good, but it's ineffective.  He's like a boxer landing jabs as and when he pleases, but never landing a knockout blow.

The new head coach will gain a lot by getting a killer instinct into Grealish before he becomes a luxury player rather than a matchwinner.

(I'm going to post this in the JG thread too, because I don't want this one to spiral off topic).

• Like 4

1 hour ago, RimmyJimmer said:

Exactly. Chances of that were reduced sacking bruce. Sam allardyce could do a job this season with these players and maybe get us up because of his man management skills and overall pragmatism.

Any new manager coming in with a different style and philosophy is going to need at least 12 months. Will he get that time to develop a squad worthy of going up?....not a chance with our 'expectation levels' and subsequent impatience...we are Aston Villa you know... we SHOULD be in the premiere league!!

So around and around we go

Quite right. Remember those day's when it was said that Brucie could get us promoted and then we could change manager when we were in the PL? ;) Perhaps Big Sam could do it this season? ;)

Disgraceful, pitiful, woeful, abysmal, shameful and every other word ending in 'L' I can think of!

Bunch of words removed the lot of them.

The biggest surprise is that I'n still surprised we play shit week in week out. 

Burn it down and start again. 

Â