The NSWE Board

Guest av1

23 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I hate to ask this but are they slightly losing interest with the football side and just leaving it with Purslow and team to run it like a business?

Even if that is the case.... He would currently be " failing " to be fair 

Our business is Football.

It still needs to be run successfully.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Fair point but maybe there is more trust in him than we’d like to see. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

4 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

There is no chance we can compete at the top of the tree. The league is fixed and even Newcastle with their state sponsored funding will struggle to break the top 6.  I was hoping that we would become a top half side which played  ok football with an occasional good cup run, but even that looks a long way away now.

Champions by summer 2025. Have faith man, how can you have forgotten JT holding that magnificent trophy aloft just a few short years ago. That was just the start my friend. 

There is no chance we can compete at the top of the tree. The league is fixed and even Newcastle with their state sponsored funding will struggle to break the top 6.  I was hoping that we would become a top half side which played  ok football with an occasional good cup run, but even that looks a long way away now.

I dunno, West ham and even Brighton if they didn't fade due to squad depth would have not been far off. I would say top 4 will not be in our lifetime, but top 6, maybe just maybe.

Nonsense. The Big 3/4/5/6 has had turnover going back to the 60s. Man U, Liverpool, and Arsenal are the only permanent elite.

To look abroad for a moment, you need only consider AC Milan post-Berlusconi to realize that clubs can fall really quickly when they lose their sugar daddy

Chelsea was below us. Abramovich turned it around. Whether Boehly will continue or will be another Glazer remains to be seen.

Man City was below us and has been relegated in the PL era. Right now the owners are enjoying spending their oil billions on their plaything, but someday they will grow bored, sell the club, and City could be back to being City. Let's not forget that, before Pep, they won a few titles but weren't this dominant. As happened to Man U after Ferguson, they may regress after Pep leaves.

We outperformed Spurs for the first 15-20 years of the PL era. Their owner is not known for overspending. They've just spent wisely recently. They could easily fall out of the elite.

Finally, one of the positive aspects of having so many American owners who have owned American teams is that they will be familiar with and open to the idea of a salary cap. Do you think they want to try to keep up with City? Some variety of a cap will happen some day. (American sports all have different versions.)

We have the 5th richest ownership group. They can't keep up with the oil clubs, but they can keep up with the rest of them. It won't happen overnight, but we can make it to the top 4.

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

The problem there is that points and profit are not linear and the metric by which fans gauge success and NSWE gauge success are not the same

Ultimately our business is making money, winning football matches does not automatically mean more money as man utd have found out, forget the fans moaning as far as the glazers are concerned they're an incredibly successful business

FWIW I don't think they've lost interest at all, they must have known what the PL was before we got there and stumbled, I'm more leaning towards the European ambition stuff being a mixture of fan appeasement and PR guff at worst and them playing a really really long game at best, I think they have far more patience than fans do and the academy is the golden egg not coutinho et al

Just reciting the Telegraph article from memory so might not be completely accurate but it says Sawiris and co-owner Edens still have big plans for Villa, with the pair adding a Las Vegas team, who are in talks to enter the MLS, to their portfolio and also hoping to secure at least one European club, as well as opening two academies in Africa.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, useless said:

Just reciting the Telegraph article from memory so might not be completely accurate but it says Sawiris and co-owner Edens still have big plans for Villa, with the pair adding a Las Vegas team, who are in talks to enter the MLS, to their portfolio and also hoping to secure at least one European club, as well as opening two academies in Africa.

Yeah that's what I meant, our academy, the North stand, the MLS team, the link with the Egyptian academy and the potential new academies

I think the "problem" or misconception with them is the talk of "we have to get europe this year" and I'm not sure what the driver is for that, it's part the fans it's part the club, I don't think they can increase the ST prices with talk of how good we will be in 8 years time

• Like 1

I'd like to know and hear from the owners what their ambitions are at the moment. I'm fairly happy with the net spend considering we have probably increased our wage bill significantly, but it's not really a going for Europe-places spending, more like keeping us mid table and not regressing kind of spending.

As the owners are spending their own money, I guess they are a bit more careful than for example City or Newcastle or Chelsea, where the owners are spendning other peoples money, money from oil-state investment funds or private equity funds.

Edited by Keener window-cleaner

1 hour ago, useless said:

this is also something I came here to post. They are apparently still looking to secure a European club & to me that's probably the most exciting thing. 

1 hour ago, useless said:

Could you post a quote of that bit of the article if possible?

'Sawiris and co-owner Edens still have big plans for Villa, with the pair adding a Las Vegas team, who are in talks to enter the MLS, to their portfolio and also hoping to secure at least one European club, as well as opening two academies in Africa.'.. That's all that's written on the subject... The Telegraph.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

How much would the compo be to sack Gerrard and his team and hire in a new top team.  About £15.5m?

Poch would cost about £15m.

Purslows share of the club to buy him off might be around £15m.

Gerrard and staff pay-off would be around £15m.

We need £45m!! 😀

On 17/10/2022 at 19:49, Villaphan04 said:

They are apparently still looking to secure a European club & to me that's probably the most exciting thing. 

Why? Might it even be a distraction? I don't get how it's remotely relevant / exciting for Villa.

8 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

The shares were allotted Sept 21st 2022. 5 days after the 1-0 win against Southampton.

I have no conclusion, just noting the date.

But just after the conclusion of talks with Poch 😜 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, AvonVillain said:

Why? Might it even be a distraction? I don't get how it's remotely relevant / exciting for Villa.

it would provide another pathway for the club to find and secure new talents that might not qualify for a work permit. Also, would allow us to have a club where we could send some of our exciting & promising youth talent who need gametime, and provide a situation where we/our owners can control. Quite a few PL clubs have been getting into this exact thing and it would also make sure we don't get left behind by some of the other clubs (Brighton)

Â