Christian Purslow

villan-scott

1 minute ago, The_Steve said:

You do know how managerial shortlists work right? 

I think so. Pease explain though.

I'm confident Purslow appointed his unqualified mate Gerrard as Villa manager. Keen to learn how that isn't the case if I'm wrong.

1 minute ago, The_Steve said:

Negotiated Jack’s release clause, got £15-20m for Carney, secured bigger marketing opportunities and sponsorships (though I regret that they’ve been dodgy betting malarkey so points down), but compared to the charlatans we’ve had before, shall we go back to the likes of Keith Wyness? Tom Fox? 

Carney money was great. Was convinced he was a freebie goner. I think some of the contract trouble with the lad started when Purslow, unprompted, called him the best 16 year old in the country.

Grealish was worth more to us than £100m.

We'll have to disagree that no one else could have secured bigger marketing opportunities if you think Purslow was key to this.

Being better than Wyness doesn't mean you're "good". Giving a manager job to your mate is exactly the sort of shit he would do. And paying him as a top 6 manager is just hilarious.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Negotiated Jack’s release clause, got £15-20m for Carney, secured bigger marketing opportunities and sponsorships (though I regret that they’ve been dodgy betting malarkey so points down), but compared to the charlatans we’ve had before, shall we go back to the likes of Keith Wyness? Tom Fox? 

We didnt have a managerial short list last time it was handpicking his mate who has continually employed while we sleepwalk to relegation

This is Tom Fox level bullshit he is doing at the moment

21 minutes ago, Zatman said:

We didnt have a managerial short list last time it was handpicking his mate who has continually employed while we sleepwalk to relegation

This is Tom Fox level bullshit he is doing at the moment

What? You can’t just make stuff up and claim it as fact because of some disdain you hold. Of course there was a shortlist. 

It could be BS but weren't the first person we 'made contact with' was with Fonseca? I'm sure we had been linked with him, Gerrard, Favre and Martinez in the lead up to Smith being sacked. As far as I remember I think Gerrard and Fonseca were contacted for the job, I think possibly Favre as well?

36 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

What? You can’t just make stuff up and claim it as fact because of some disdain you hold. Of course there was a shortlist. 

Yet we hired a rookie manager in 3 days who won just 1 trophy in 9 in a 2 team league when his main rival just got sacked in Cyprus

Who were the other shortlisted candidates Krusty the Clown, Ernie and Bert

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, The_Steve said:

Again, this isn’t the case. Purslow had twice earmarked Lage (before appointing Smith and after) so the idea that he only ever wanted to appoint Gerrard is simply not true. The hatred people have for Purslow who’s been nothing but professional and worked wonders on the commercial side of things is utterly baffling. 

Because that side of things doesn't matter when you're heavily involved in the football side of things and **** that up. 

None of us are fans of villa for the commercial deals we make. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, The_Steve said:

That Carney money isn't great when it gets spent sacking the failed manager choice and his coaching staff.

I'm not sure Jack's release clause was some major negotiation. 

Had Dean and Jack not kept us up, I wonder if you'd view purslow the same? 

And all that goodwill and buzz around the club gone in 12 months. Let's see how great our commercial deals become if we go down or just become a relegation fighting side. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, The_Steve said:

Again, this isn’t the case. Purslow had twice earmarked Lage (before appointing Smith and after) so the idea that he only ever wanted to appoint Gerrard is simply not true. The hatred people have for Purslow who’s been nothing but professional and worked wonders on the commercial side of things is utterly baffling. 

I’m guessing I’ve stepped into the middle of a conversation and not got the full context.

I was basically just responding to that single statement where you said that there is no evidence that he put his mate in charge.

Regardless, at the time when he appointed Smith or ‘earmarked’ Lage, Gerrard has been in charge of rangers a couple of months.  Basically he was unappointable - not sure what point you’re trying to make there.

The ‘hatred’ towards Purslow is based on his failure to do the professional thing and sack his buddy.  Now who knows.. maybe there’s a good reason behind it - maybe the compensation package is much lower if he’s sacked at a certain time or certain league position? We’ll never know.  But you can’t deny that his failure to do what is needed makes him look amateurish.

For the record, I don’t have any hatred towards him.  On the whole he’s done a good job.  But the longer he drags this out, the more of his good work he undoes.  

His next managerial appointment is make or break in my opinion.

2 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Purslow is ruining his own reputation here. 

He's not though, he always had a bad rep for footballing decisions from his Liverpool days , Chelsea made sure he was employed on the commercial side of things only..

5 minutes ago, tinker said:

He's not though, he always had a bad rep for footballing decisions from his Liverpool days , Chelsea made sure he was employed on the commercial side of things only..

But amongst us lot he was doing alright!  

Â