Christian Purslow

villan-scott

Feel he has generally done a good job but has gotten two major things wrong. Panic buying Danny Ings, and possibly Bailey, when selling Grealish without a clear plan on how they would fit our system. Appointing Gerrard who plays a system completely different than the one our squad and youth setup was geared for.  Basically he interfered in areas that should be left to the sporting director. Makes me think Lange is fairly weak.  

Edited by nepal_villan

We have made decent signings but no one we didn't pay a decent sum for .Alot of other clubs have brought equal or better quality players for less money. Coutinho is a vanity signing for both CP and SG .bring in the big name and it will work ..except after a bright start its hard to put a case for him to be starting games.

The transfer policy of bringing in established players on high wages needs instant results which we are not getting so for me ,both SG and CP are in firing line if I'm the owners.In SG case the fact that he went through so many at Ranger's makes me think he is just another Bryan Robson / Steve Bruce type who keeps spending and moving the pieces  till something stick's but no tactical nous at all.

They brought in 3 players to replace Jack but seemed to have not taken into account actually getting all 3 into the team at once !  

Digne - did we scout him , did we have a report on how he would fit in strengths /weakness's or was he just avlaible after falling out with Rafa and SG said I'll take that experienced , well know LB and that will work. From my point of view if you have a system with Full backs bombing forward then need to be pacy and have some ability to go past a player , Digne does not .He can certainly cross but that's not enough with how we play. I think the Sarr transfer was much the same known player is available lets get him.

For me CP has got into this mindset of buying players well regarded so we look like a big club.Yes its not working at all and teams are buying better than us because they are not just plucking names. Wasn't it said he didn't want Buendia because he was from Norwich , which if so is a pretty shocking position to take.

Liverpool fans don't like him , its well known he brought in Joe Cole purely as it was Joe Cole on big money and was a disaster. He is going the same way here.

• Like 1

I think this was the summer he needed to really encourage the owners to back us, i think they would have been willing but for whatever reason we started well in the transfer market and came to an abrupt halt, whereas other teams have continued to spend and strenghten in key areas. I feel like relative to them we have been left behind quite a bit, even adding some height and power to the midfield could have been done on the cheap, Kouyate to forest on a free comes to mind, making some sensible additions like that would have been good rather than seeing us start mcginn each week.

I am also not sure if he will pull the trigger on Stevie G, i hope it isnt a blind spot of his and that he has the professionalism and integrity to put to one side his love of Liverpool and personal friendship with gerrard to be able to make a decision which benefits his principal, i.e. the club. I do think he will do that if things start to become untenable but recently he has made a few errors of judgement which he should correct as soon as the time becomes apparent

4 minutes ago, Tumblerseven said:

In my opinion if Gerrard goes he must follow.

2 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

Cos of one appointment that didn’t work out?

Yeah, the CEO doesnt leave because of one poor appointment.

Look at Levy, if he got sacked/left for one poor appointment, he would have been gone a thousand times already.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

Cos of one appointment that didn’t work out?

I think its more than just one appointment that didint worked out.  I think we have problems with recruitment. We cant even sell players for profit. I think we have problems with general vision. What we want to build here? it all come from CEO.

I think goying from Smith to Gerrard is in itself problematic. Absolutely different cultures from those two managers.

• Like 2

I personally think he hasn't got much wrong since arriving. Most fans would have wanted a transparent and communicative CEO when he first arrived and that in the main what we have. Not everyone's up of tea but far more professionalism than previous. I now feel however, that if he allows this situation to get out of hand, by that I mean leaving Gerrard in position whilst suffering several more defeats, then most of the goodwill he has built with the fans will erode very quickly.

I don't feel he should fall in his sword as for the most part he's been a positive but, I think his own future very much hinges on how he deals with the current situation should the change of manager be necessary in the coming days/weeks. Get the next appointment wrong and he'll be on seriously dodgy ground with the fans himself. 

• Like 3

The sign of a good CEO isnt just making the right appts. Its realising you have made wrong ones and then acting accordlingly. 

I am hoping he will be ruthless.  Our owners are not here to make up the numbers. If he isnt ruthless then he will not be the CEO i thought he was 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MaVilla said:

Yeah, the CEO doesnt leave because of one poor appointment.

Look at Levy, if he got sacked/left for one poor appointment, he would have been gone a thousand times already.

Levy, for all that he is a despicable prick, has done a fantastic job at convincing the world Spurs are a huge club. He has raised their profile from being frankly irrelevant outside North London to being thought of as major players. They have the best stadium in the league and will probably win silverware under Conte.

Can't really compare him to Purslow, who in 4 years at Villa hasn't raised our profile one iota. We are the same size club as the one that got relegated. I will concede that he is a better CEO than the one we had at that point, but he's hardly brought us on leaps and bounds.

4 years might not be long but you'd want to see signs of progress in that time. I don't see any signs that we are growing as a club. North Stand redevelopment is great and all, but it only keeps us "on par" in terms of being an average Premier League outfit and has needed work for decades. With the backing of our current owners, any CEO at all would be looking to expand the stadium right now, it's the obvious choice.

He's yet to deliver anything really surprising or brilliant in a commercial or business sense, and he's had 4 years with huge backing to do it, meanwhile he's been insinuating himself into the footballing side of things and making crap decisions while doing so. I don't see why we'd be eager to keep him.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Levy, for all that he is a despicable prick, has done a fantastic job at convincing the world Spurs are a huge club. He has raised their profile from being frankly irrelevant outside North London to being thought of as major players. They have the best stadium in the league and will probably win silverware under Conte.

Can't really compare him to Purslow, who in 4 years at Villa hasn't raised our profile one iota. We are the same size club as the one that got relegated. I will concede that he is a better CEO than the one we had at that point, but he's hardly brought us on leaps and bounds.

4 years might not be long but you'd want to see signs of progress in that time. I don't see any signs that we are growing as a club. North Stand redevelopment is great and all, but it only keeps us "on par" in terms of being an average Premier League outfit and has needed work for decades. With the backing of our current owners, any CEO at all would be looking to expand the stadium right now, it's the obvious choice.

He's yet to deliver anything really surprising or brilliant in a commercial or business sense, and he's had 4 years with huge backing to do it, meanwhile he's been insinuating himself into the footballing side of things and making crap decisions while doing so. I don't see why we'd be eager to keep him.

I think that the problem is not him and more us . We are an unsuccessful team in the second city.  The only chance we had marketingwise to make the step up was on the back of grealish. But he did one sharpish  

We arent big in Asia, in fact we are far smaller than the likes of Everton Leicester and Newcastle who we would like to match ourselves against. 

Our colours do not fit in anywhere in Asian culture. 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Oh I dont know, he has raised our clown profile around the world. Many potential new fans will be laughing at us "oh Villa, isnt that the club whose CEO talked about Europe but ended up in a relegation scrap instead? Yeah I will go support Man City thanks"

Bloody laughing stock we are. 

Â