Christian Purslow

villan-scott

As I was reminded last night, NW was incredibly keen on us hiring Henry for his first management job instead of Smith. It's more luck than judgement that we got back up to the PL, I'm not so sure they'll be in agreement that Gerrard is a disaster, or was a bad a call

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Not sure what you mean what do we do with purslow? You dont sack your CEO because of one bad appointment!

He keeps his job and get next guy in. Purslow has made two appointments we can all agree smith was a huge success. So why would we sack him if the gerrard appointment doesnt work?

he hired Hodgson for Liverpool as well

He should be kept away from football part of the business and let Lange do it though his ego won't allow him since he loves a soundbite

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Zatman said:

he hired Hodgson for Liverpool as well

He should be kept away from football part of the business and let Lange do it though his ego won't allow him since he loves a soundbite

Who else did he hire at liverpool?

11 hours ago, nepal_villan said:

He got the Smith hire correct - took us to the PL and kept us there.

9 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Not sure what you mean what do we do with purslow? You dont sack your CEO because of one bad appointment!

He keeps his job and get next guy in. Purslow has made two appointments we can all agree smith was a huge success.

I agree, that's why I said I'd keep him...he's done so much else right...I'm just questioning how NSWE might think. I don't think they're that trigger happy, but wanted to see if anyone else thought that they might blame him.

You both make a good point...Deano was a good hire and did what he was hired to do, i.e. get us into the PL. The fact that he probably wasn't the right manager to take us to the next level doesn't mean that it was a Purslow mistake.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Villaphan04 said:

username checks out

without our owners, we might not be in existence

I know. I am being a bit tounge in cheek here as consensus seems to be they **** up with Gerrard and DS, so there is something to it. 

They have no God given right to stay just because they saved us. They need to appoint the right people for us to kick on. 

I’ve gotten some deserved stick for the statement, and I am not entirely serious.

See it as more of a philosophical question; how responsible are they for what most fans seem to consider to be an absolute disaster of an appointment in Gerrard, and the sacking of a manager that gave identity, structure and hope of progress?

Edited by daft
  • Like 1

Purslow is here for a long time, get used to it. I am delighted with the job he has done and continues to do. I have no doubt if Gerrard continues with terrible performances and results like this then Purslow will have him gone.

But he would be insane to do it after the first game of the season. Particularly as this year happens to have a perfectly timed world cup slapped early on in it. Good time to change your coaching staff if needed.

He has a very good relationship with Dean Smith as well but made the hard call when he thought it was needed.

Excellent CEO.

Edited by ciggiesnbeer
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Doris has been stinking the place out for long enough now as well.

Bet she's secretly putting extra sugar cubes in the teas as she's probably buddies with the players.

Doris out!

• Haha 1

It will be interesting to see what Purslow does if Gerrard loses his first 5 games, as it will be pretty much the same situation Dean Smith was in - poor form straddling two seasons and 5 straight defeats. We will see if its just business or blatant favouritism. 

8 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

It will be interesting to see what Purslow does if Gerrard loses his first 5 games, as it will be pretty much the same situation Dean Smith was in - poor form straddling two seasons and 5 straight defeats. We will see if its just business or blatant favouritism. 

There's zero chance Gerrard doesn't get sacked if he loses the first five games. If we lose the first three I think the trigger will be pulled. 

But I don't think that will necessarily happen as the fixtures are OK. My biggest fear is that we just limp on and waste another season, reducing our options for the next managerial target, eroding the club culture that Deano did so much to rebuildn and potentially losing our better players in due course too.

Purslow was decisive in removing Smith (too much so IMO) - I hope he shows the same ruthlessness with a manager who, unlike Smith, has offered very little reason for optimism. 

Edited by Condimentalist
  • Like 2

Purslow is good at his job but issue is his ego. He wants to be centre of attention and is looking for an FA/Premier League position

Interviews whenever a Chairman is needed, the cringy Jack exit interview and labelling Carney best player of his age in England spring to mind

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Â