Harold Moukoudi

KJT123

1 hour ago, hippo said:

Still not buying it  - plenty have overseas players have settled here, laursen, benteke, JPA, etc - 

Veretout was quoted a while after he left - that he never gave it his best shot here - something  along the lines of he found the few games tough - and from then on was focused on getting a move away.  Amavi I thought we sold to raise funds - and again he suffered from a big injurY - Gil I was never sure of - but hasn't been a raving sucess sincle leaving villa.

These are blokes in there early twenties - they are happy to take the six figure salaries, and have to man up a bit. no one wrapped Sammy Morgan or Andy Lochead in cotton wool. too many of the take the signing on fee, within six months are looking for next one. personally I wouldn't pander to that.

All of those players were bought here when we had a lady here called Laura something (known as Villa Mum) she spoke several languages and her job was ensuring that all young and foreign players and their families were looked after and had all the help they needed adapting to life in Birmingham. 

She was let go at the end of the Lerner era and was treated pretty disgracefully. She was well respected by all of the [players at the club and I know for a fact that she helped Benteke a hell of a lot as he had young family as well.)

Obviously she was never replaced so I don't know how or even if they help players settle in these days. I imagine that they don't do it half as well as they used to

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, London Villa said:

All of those players were bought here when we had a lady here called Laura something (known as Villa Mum) she spoke several languages and her job was ensuring that all young and foreign players and their families were looked after and had all the help they needed adapting to life in Birmingham. 

She was let go at the end of the Lerner era and was treated pretty disgracefully. She was well respected by all of the [players at the club and I know for a fact that she helped Benteke a hell of a lot as he had young family as well.)

Obviously she was never replaced so I don't know how or even if they help players settle in these days. I imagine that they don't do it half as well as they used to

Wasn't the role created as the club tried to learn from how pathetically they had treated Angel, and started to understand that this wasn't a case of mollycoddling sensitive snowflakes, more about making sure that multimillion pound investmemts were given conditions in which they could thrive?

Clubs did this years ago,  when players earned sixpence and three potatoes a week.  They placed them in carefully vetted lodgings, and kept an eye on what they were doing.  Paternalistic, but better than the hands-off approach. 

Foreign players face extra challenges in settling in.  It's simple common sense to help them, as well as being good business sense.  And also basic hospitality, lest we forget.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, lexicon said:

If he read this site and saw how other young defenders have been treated during their development, there'd be no chance of him signing tbf. 

As a club, you really want to be seen as a good place for developing players, so that they want to join you.

I wonder how we are seen in the game, in this respect.

Just now, peterms said:

As a club, you really want to be seen as a good place for developing players, so that they want to join you.

I wonder how we are seen in the game, in this respect.

Probably average - Grealish isn't too badly, Albrighton, Cahill , - a fair few middling players in the championship. - I don't get where this we treat our young players poorly comes from - 

11 hours ago, Zatman said:

I am going to say him and El Ghazi are a bit left field to be Bruce signings

I think El Ghazi was Mendes client or suggestion but surprised with this link.

If you look at SB's transfer history he's signed loads of players from europe and even further afield. He may be many things but he isn't allergic to foreign signings like MON is.

At Wigan he signed Figueroa, Wilson Palacios and Rodallega from Central/America and at Sunderland he got in a couple of Paraguyan players.

Never seen this player but I have seen his name linked with a few clubs.

Just now, VillaChris said:

I think El Ghazi was Mendes client or suggestion but surprised with this link.

If you look at SB's transfer history he's signed loads of players from europe and even further afield. He may be many things but he isn't allergic to foreign signings like MON is.

At Wigan he signed Figueroa, Wilson Palacios and Rodallega from Central/America and at Sunderland he got in a couple of Paraguyan players.

Never seen this player but I have seen his name linked with a few clubs.

at blues he worked with the agent Arry did to bring in all them French lads at Pompey. He got Dugarry, Pandiani, Cisse and few others for them from decent clubs

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

at blues he worked with the agent Arry did to bring in all them French lads at Pompey. He got Dugarry, Pandiani, Cisse and few others for them from decent clubs

Yeah I imagine it's something like that. IIRC Wilson Palacios came to Arsenal for a trial and then Wenger recommended him to SB.

All sorts of wierd and wonderful ways players turn up at clubs so don't see the big issue if we have got Mendes in the background as loads of clubs now have major agents working with them in "unoffical" capacities or just running the show as seems the case at Wolves.

Either that or use the database like Brentford do. Watford also funnel players through Udinese and formerly Granada before they sign for them.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, hippo said:

Probably average - Grealish isn't too badly, Albrighton, Cahill , - a fair few middling players in the championship. - I don't get where this we treat our young players poorly comes from - 

I hope you're right.  I was thinking not of players who come through the youth team, but the number of people we sign who seem to stagnate or go backwards with us.  That may be a consideration for other players weighing up whether to join us.

5 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Yeah I imagine it's something like that. IIRC Wilson Palacios came to Arsenal for a trial and then Wenger recommended him to SB.

Ah ha, that was who I was thinking of earlier. Wenger and Palcios. I knew he picked up one from a recommendation.

I confused Wenger with Fergie and Palacios with Valencia. Stupid memory!

6 minutes ago, NeilS said:

Ah ha, that was who I was thinking of earlier. Wenger and Palcios. I knew he picked up one from a recommendation.

I confused Wenger with Fergie and Palacios with Valencia. Stupid memory!

Its funny that 2 of greatest managers in football history who I would say disliked each other are happy to help Bruce. Fergie connection I understand but he used to loan a lot of players from Wenger and got recommendations for players

2 hours ago, sne said:

But this was asked more on a broader scale as it has been an issue at the club for a long while (before Bruce so not a slight at him)

Really hope the club has learned a lesson or 2 from the Veretout, Amavi, Gil... fiasco.

Help the players as much as possible in bedding in.

Once again, not a dig towards Bruce. He isn't the club.

Absolutely this.

We do not have a succesful history with French nationalists at Villa and it is a worry because of this very reason.

Players & Managers

Ginola, Agathe, Berson, N'Zogbia, Pires, Veretout, Amavi, Cissoko etc. Houllier, Garde.

Taking nothing away from any of them but there is nothing that stands out about any of these and turned out problematic for various individual reasons.

If this new chap is already "supposedly" making noises about missing France etc. Then it's already looking unsettling from the off and reports of possibly a 4yr contract on the cards too?

A touch nervous about this one if I am honest.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Its funny that 2 of greatest managers in football history who I would say disliked each other are happy to help Bruce. Fergie connection I understand but he used to loan a lot of players from Wenger and got recommendations for players

Yeah I think that was why I confused the two, but now it has been mentioned and it becomes clear again.

That was why Bendtner ended up on loan at sha, and maybe why Pennant ended up there?

7 minutes ago, NeilS said:

Yeah I think that was why I confused the two, but now it has been mentioned and it becomes clear again.

That was why Bendtner ended up on loan at sha, and maybe why Pennant ended up there?

Larsson and Muamba was there as well and think he had Bendtner at Sunderland too

2 hours ago, Farlz said:

Good god! I hope Bruce has not been left alone to sell the club and style of football to him!

If so, There is only one thing this lad is going to be sleeping on and dreaming about tonight...

Zzzz!...  Zzzz!...

dinosaur-football-sport-game-martin-dave

Zzzz!..  ZZzzz!....

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Good god! I hope Bruce has not been left alone to sell the club and style of football to him!

If so, There is only one thing this lad is going to be sleeping on and dreaming about tonight...

Zzzz!...  Zzzz!...

dinosaur-football-sport-game-martin-dave

Zzzz!..  ZZzzz!....

That may just be the most hilarious post in the entire history of Villatalk.

• Like 2

Â