Anwar El Ghazi

Villan4Life

4 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think his goals mask his performances. Similar to Trez at the end of last season. He’s not actually that good and never will be. The sooner we have stronger squad options to replace both El Ghazi and Trez the better. 

The thing is he actually has potential to be good at this level. Trez never has and never will.

• Like 2

He's a very good squad player for us and most premier league clubs. On a good day he's a starter. 

He's scored 6 premier league this season already. 

Villa fans should be loving him. 

But the thing is his ceiling is higher than most. And it's frustrating for us that he's not hitting his head off it. 

He'll ll be 26 this summer so he's the same age as Jack. 

I think he should be given some slack. If he can get consistency and the confidence that goes with it he'll be some player.

• Like 3

If he was a good squad player we’d be happy to see his name on the team sheet. As it stands when I see his name I think, well we haven’t really got any alternative.  For where we are as a club he’s done a decent job, he has scored some key goals. He has been good value for money. 

But if we want to improve he is the kind of player we need to improve on. Even if it’s he’s just a squad option.  With the way we play the wide forwards are crucial to us scoring goals. If they arent good enough our goals dry up.   

I think he will probably be around one more season as we can’t rebuild the whole squad overnight. If he is still a Villa player by the season after next I’ll be very surprised.

10 hours ago, VillanousOne said:

Arrogance meant in a good way, he tries outrageous skill that sometimes he can't pull off but occasionally succeeds 

Like when Brendan Rodgers says a player has got a bit of arrogance about him.

14 hours ago, VillanousOne said:

Arrogance meant in a good way, he tries outrageous skill that sometimes he can't pull off but occasionally succeeds 

I wouldn't use the word arrogance then, as it's exclusively negative - I'd say what you're describing is flair perhaps mixed with self-confidence. 

4 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

If he was a good squad player we’d be happy to see his name on the team sheet. As it stands when I see his name I think, well we haven’t really got any alternative.  For where we are as a club he’s done a decent job, he has scored some key goals. He has been good value for money. 

But if we want to improve he is the kind of player we need to improve on. Even if it’s he’s just a squad option.  With the way we play the wide forwards are crucial to us scoring goals. If they arent good enough our goals dry up.   

I think he will probably be around one more season as we can’t rebuild the whole squad overnight. If he is still a Villa player by the season after next I’ll be very surprised.

I tend to be happy to see his name there...

• Like 2

I like Anwar, think he could improve in tandem with the team.

He has the attributes, quick, good shot, skillful and cool. Doesn't always hit the heights but you cannot criticise his goal scoring this season.

Football is confidence if he can use that correctly his attributes will shine.

Also his season statistics are getting better.

14 hours ago, sparrow1988 said:

Like when Brendan Rodgers says a player has got a bit of arrogance about him.

El Ghazi needs to show another one of Brendan's favourite phrases - great character

Edited by Tom13
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, lexicon said:

I wouldn't use the word arrogance then, as it's exclusively negative - I'd say what you're describing is flair perhaps mixed with self-confidence. 

Not really, arrogance in football is way of life.

Undeserved arrogance is negative.

Ronaldo is arrogant but he backs up that arrogance with ability and performances.

9 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

I like Anwar, think he could improve in tandem with the team.

He has the attributes, quick, good shot, skillful and cool. Doesn't always hit the heights but you cannot criticise his goal scoring this season.

Football is confidence if he can use that correctly his attributes will shine.

Also his season statistics are getting better.

urm.....

U sure u were watching the right game m8???

• Like 1

Needs to be sold, him scoring 6 goals isn't enough to take us up a level and this whole waiting in a player to do well and then suddenly appearing here and there isn't what Villa as a club F'in needs. Some people need to wake up that this is business as much as it is football and if you can't put in performances at this level your going to end up taking a dip faster than you came up.

If Ghazi, Barkley, Trezegeut could put in performances at a decent rate id be all for them staying but for me, those 3 we need to replace. We have to find buyers for Ghazi and Trezegeut and send Barkley back, there football is as bland as my ex girlfriends, yeah I won't even go there but you can imagine what I was going to say.

Ive not confidence in them and I'm not going to pretend that they will get even better over time, they have had this season Barkley has, Trez and Ghazi have had this season, lasts and championship.

Its worrying that some of you want to keep players that have been crap for most the season, every season we've had them apart from some goal runs here and there each season, it's just not enough anymore.

The real twists,arm shaker or Chinese burn here is that none of the mentioned players can bloody deliver a ball properly to a lone striker, you could have one defender and Watkins and they still wouldn't be able to find him. Enough is enough I think, come summer get these players out and soend real big to being in mean ass talent that can do the job.

The players work for the club and not the other way around remember and while the club needs to look after its players the players have to do there but as well. This is not Villa day care anymore, let's get rid of the infants and go to University..

Edited by Dave-R

Reminds me of Leon Osman at Everton (in terms of status not style of play). Was never really a first-choice regular but ended up playing 350 games for them. Wouldn’t surprise me to see us upgrade Trez for a winger in the summer and Anwar be fourth choice out wide next season and still play 15 games and do ok.

10 hours ago, VillanousOne said:

Not really, arrogance in football is way of life.

Undeserved arrogance is negative.

Ronaldo is arrogant but he backs up that arrogance with ability and performances.

I agree that Ronaldo is arrogant, but Traore does not carry himself at all like Ronaldo. 

Just to give some sort of Comparison on the productive element of these players, accepting that wingers are mainly about assists, more than goals, but this is just about goals

its just for a discussion.

ElGhazi...Career- 1 Goal :4.8 Games....Villa 1Goal : 5.1 games

Traore ....Career 1Goal : 3.3 Games....Villa 1Goal : 4.2 Games

Trez........Career 1Goal : 5 Games........Villa 1Goal : 8.6 Games

Lookman Career 1Goal : 5.8 Games....Fulham 1Goal : 5.5 Games

Raphinha Career 1Goal : 4 Games.......Leeds 1 Goal : 4.1 Games.

I guess its a bit harder to score in the Prem....and Traore, Lookman & Raphinha are in the 15-20 mill bracket as opposed to Elghazi and Trez being sub 10 mill.

Thoughts?

On 19/03/2021 at 09:26, lexicon said:

I agree that Ronaldo is arrogant, but Traore does not carry himself at all like Ronaldo. 

No one said he did. Arrogance is having the level of self belief to attempt outrageous skill, in his case it doesn't always come off but he definitely has the ability.

Not a negative, no matter how many times you claim otherwise.

Â