Anwar El Ghazi

Villan4Life

I like Anwar as a person, seems a lovely bloke, as a footballer he just doesn't do enough in general play, or doesn't do enough often enough. He's inconsistent. He's frustrating.

He doesn't have particularly great pace, or strength, or work rate, but he is one of the better finishers we have at the club, has a trick, and he's not afraid to take responsibility and have a go. I think Smith uses him correctly in the main, he's a decent squad option to have on the bench or to start when he's having a purple patch, as we saw earlier in the season. I think he struggled with the step up at times last season, and that lost him a bit of trust with Smith, he's been better this season, he's clearly understood there's more competition with Bert coming in and he's risen to it somewhat.

If he could progress just a little more and find some consistency then he'd become a very decent option, I'm not going to write him off, occasionally players like him will find another level and have a very good 2/3 season spell around this stage in his career. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Teale's 'tache said:

I like Anwar as a person, seems a lovely bloke, as a footballer he just doesn't do enough in general play, or doesn't do enough often enough. He's inconsistent. He's frustrating.

He doesn't have particularly great pace, or strength, or work rate, but he is one of the better finishers we have at the club, has a trick, and he's not afraid to take responsibility and have a go. I think Smith uses him correctly in the main, he's a decent squad option to have on the bench or to start when he's having a purple patch, as we saw earlier in the season. I think he struggled with the step up at times last season, and that lost him a bit of trust with Smith, he's been better this season, he's clearly understood there's more competition with Bert coming in and he's risen to it somewhat.

If he could progress just a little more and find some consistency then he'd become a very decent option, I'm not going to write him off, occasionally players like him will find another level and have a very good 2/3 season spell around this stage in his career. 

My worry is as we progress, his limitations will become more and more obvious....so why can't we see it now.

He is not a bad player, he is a limited player.He doesn't make things happen like Traore...but trez is the more industrious of the 3, despite him being behind in talent.

If we want to progress this team, we need industrious players allied to their talent.

Edited by TRO

10 hours ago, TRO said:

My worry is as we progress, his limitations will become more and more obvious....so why can't we see it now.

He is not a bad player, he is a limited player.He doesn't make things happen like Traore...but trez is the more industrious of the 3, despite him being behind in talent.

If we want to progress this team, we need industrious players allied to their talent.

I think one of the problems Anwar has at the moment is that everyone has seen the massive improvements in a number of our players (Targett, Konsa, Luiz...) and now everyone wants to know why he hasn't shown the same levels of improvement.

I think he can make things happen, he has the talent, he just doesn't do it often enough, doesn't have the consistency.

He has to progress with us if he wants to remain a part of what we are doing, but that's not a new thing, it's the same for every player at any club that is on the up. If he doesn't he'll be left behind. It's up to him, I think he puts the work in, he's trying, he has improved this season but will it be enough? Will he get enough game time to show more improvement? Who knows...

On your last point 'industrious players allied to their talent' these are obviously the kind of players everyone wants, it's expensive though to buy a team of them. Our current model is to buy players to coach hopefully to that level, it might take some patience with some and not all players will progress as much as we want, but this is the model we are working to.

31 minutes ago, Dale said:

I mean he was nominated for Premier League player of the month in December, banged in five goals. I think it's fair to say output has improved. Difficult to show when you're in and out I guess 

I agree, the players I listed have had the benefit of extended playing time, it's easier to show improvement when you are playing regularly, and I'd say he probably has more competition for his place than some of those listed as well.

He was excellent in December and unfortunate to lose his place in many ways, but then he had a bit of a stinker against Wet Spam, and when there's so much competition for places you can't afford that inconsistency or you lose your place, you have to take every chance you get. It's tough for him, but that's how it is nowadays, it's a squad game and nobody can afford to stand still or you get left behind.

I think he'll get more chances between now and the end of the season and I for one hope he takes them.

I would be all for AEG going on the left, Grealish going in the middle, and Traore or Trez going on the right. Drop Ross as he needs a kick up the arse.

Whilst we looked great with Ross before his injury, we did continue that form without him playing the above formation. But since his return,  I feel we're now worse than both those previous iterations of the team. Not massively so, but given that, I'd like to see AEG back on the left wing, as he didn't do anything to warrant being dropped.

He is inconsistent, he does have lots of room to improve, but he's our player and on the evidence of what he and Ross have brought to the team respectively recently, AEG warrants the starting position for me.

Bringing Ross on at 60 minutes, instead of bringing him off then would be a better place for us to be in my opinion. 

All the above assumes there are no covid complications to factor in. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Teale's 'tache said:

This is simply not true, somewhere it was mentioned that he was one of the fastest in the squad

1 hour ago, Taxahunter said:

This is simply not true, somewhere it was mentioned that he was one of the fastest in the squad

"He doesn't have particularly great pace"

This doesn't mean he's slow, it means he's not known for being pacey, like say Adama Traore, Saint-Maxim or Salah. He doesn't have pace the opposition are going to be overly concerned about. 

I imagine he is in the top 5 quickest in our squad, I don't think he's slow but he's not lightning was my point.

I don't want to get in to stats particularly because there are so many different types for this kind of thing, acceleration, top speed, average speed, the list goes on and people tend to pick and choose whatever suits their arguments, but there's always more to it than just one stat. I remember seeing about half way through last season Engeles was in the top 10 for top speed clocked in the Premier League...

Would you say El Ghazi has explosive pace? Does he regularly beat his man for pace?

I think Anwar is a great option from the bench and to bolster our squad when needed. Good sign that weve now moved beyond him being a regular starter. We cant change everything overnight, I'd expect the likes on Anwar to be around for a while as our team and squad improves every year

8 hours ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

I think El Ghazi offered more than Barkley does. 

Just look at his finish v Palace, that was possibly the best goal we've scored all season. 

Every team has a player like Anwar who splits decision. But when you look at what he's actually done for us, as in scoring crucial goals at crucial times, he's right up there. 

He is a confidence player though and being in and out the side doesn't help his game. 

but its a catch 22...you cn't stay in the team, if you don't work.....watch him when we haven't got the ball. I am not saying wingers have to have super defensive qualities to come back and defend, very few do.....but he contributes nothing in terms of positioning or being ready to receive it.....sure he has scored a few goals, but that does not mask over his overall game for me.

He is a limited player, IMO.....not a bad player, but not a good one either.

To be a good player, you have to have significant involvement in a game, you have to influence the game, not be an "extra".....be a star.

9 hours ago, TRO said:

but its a catch 22...you cn't stay in the team, if you don't work.....watch him when we haven't got the ball. I am not saying wingers have to have super defensive qualities to come back and defend, very few do.....but he contributes nothing in terms of positioning or being ready to receive it.....sure he has scored a few goals, but that does not mask over his overall game for me.

To be a good player, you have to have significant involvement in a game, you have to influence the game, not be an "extra".....be a star.

That is so lazy by you guys. He works hard defensively. He doesn't have great awareness so he often loses his man. But whenever he loses the ball he is running back and trying to win it back 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MotoMkali said:

That is so lazy by you guys. He works hard defensively. He doesn't have great awareness so he often loses his man. But whenever he loses the ball he is running back and trying to win it back 

Yes this is also why Smith kept him on in the palace game and took traore off(even though traore was the best player in the first half ) when we went down to 10 because Anwar is better defensivly

• Like 1

14 hours ago, TRO said:

If you replace the word ‘winger’ with ‘midfielder’ in your post - you’ve just described Ross Barkley.

Nobody is suggesting that AEG is a ‘star’.  All they are suggesting is RB isn’t one either.  And when you boil it all down, AEG is more effective than RB at both ends of the pitch. No ‘catch 22’ about it.

6 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

The bigger problem is how often he gives the ball away. He is so wasteful in possession. The ball just doesn’t stick. In that first half against West Ham he looked like a competition winner. 
He just isn’t good enough to start games in the PL. He is ok as a bench option but even that needs to be improved upon over time. I like him. He is a really good guy and he’s played an important role in our recovery but we need better to sustain and improve upon where we are now.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

The bigger problem is how often he gives the ball away. He is so wasteful in possession. The ball just doesn’t stick. In that first half against West Ham he looked like a competition winner. 
He just isn’t good enough to start games in the PL. He is ok as a bench option but even that needs to be improved upon over time. I like him. He is a really good guy and he’s played an important role in our recovery but we need better to sustain and improve upon where we are now.

Exactly this and it’s always been his biggest weakness. In a tight game, with a defender who knows his trade he is simply unable to recycle the ball. When it’s played into him with a defender at his back it just bounces off him. Contrast that to Traore who is using his body to lean into the man, stops the ball dead and then has time to choose what he wants to do. If I was AEG I’d be practising nothing but that all day everyday until I could do it to a PL standard. 

If Villa are generally in top and can find EL Ghazi in space he has the ability to hurt teams. But it ends up being a massive risk playing him and that pretty much why he never does. 

Edited by villaglint
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

we see him different to you...not lazy.

5 hours ago, Thug said:

If you replace the word ‘winger’ with ‘midfielder’ in your post - you’ve just described Ross Barkley.

Nobody is suggesting that AEG is a ‘star’.  All they are suggesting is RB isn’t one either.  And when you boil it all down, AEG is more effective than RB at both ends of the pitch. No ‘catch 22’ about it.

I don't support any player for a first team place, if they don't work....we just happened to be discussing El Ghazi.

Â