John McGinn

PompeyVillan

1 hour ago, Spoony said:

I love McGinn but I can’t be the only one thinking he isn’t the answer as captain. I don’t even think he’s the long term answer in midfield. I’d look to improve and it does hurt to say that as you can’t help but love the guy. But starting and captaining a team gunning for Europe? I’m not so sure. 

I think he justified his role as captain second half of last season but he is definitely not playing as well the last few games. But you could say that of a few of our players so hopefully it’s just a blip. Main thing is we’re still winning games while some of our big players aren’t quite at their best.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

47 minutes ago, Spoony said:

I’d hardly describe my post as “shitting on him” ffs

Mate, this is Villatalk. You're either a fanboi or a hater. There is no middle ground.  Pick a side and stick to it forever. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I don't fully understand the doubting of him as captain to be honest.  Seems a natural to me.

I guess yeah, if the role of a captain is just to play your own game. He's no Roy Keane or even Henderson if you want a bit less, thats for sure.

I thought he had a good game, gave us some bite in midfield. It's interesting the way we buiild up on the right hand side with Kamara sometimes dropping back to right back, Cash pushing forward and McGinn playing more centrally. I get the feeling that he gets a bit squeezed in that position, or perhaps it was more Chelsea playing close to him.

It's great to have Ramsey back now, it will be interesting to see who is going to take the two starting places of McGinn, Zaniolo and Ramsey. Very good competition, and when Buendia comes back we will have many good options there, with Traore and Bailey as wild cards as well. 

12 hours ago, sidcow said:

Mate, this is Villatalk. You're either a fanboi or a hater. There is no middle ground.  Pick a side and stick to it forever. 

or a Dinosaur or an Avant Garder.

• Like 1

I don't think he's been poor or anything (aside from the Legia game), but he has kind of fluctuated between mostly extremely quiet with bursts in games of being absolutely brilliant (thought he essentially won the game when he came to life vs Burnley despite not scoring or assisting). Do wonder if when Ramsey and Zaniolo are both fully up to speed they might play on the left and right respectively and displace McGinn for a period, which isn't a criticism of him at all but more so reflective of the quality in the squad now.

• Like 1

I think he's going through a quieter period. In some ways this is a plus as we're winning and we're not having to rely on him. Others will have quiet spells which is when we will need John. 

I quite like the fact that Unai will pull him off 😉 and not just stick with a struggling player because he's captain. Tielemans and Ramsey give us options in this position. 

12 minutes ago, AV82 said:

Absolutely **** wasted both at RM and LB. I hope to see him starting up top in games where Diaby is rested.

Do you mean LM? Because he played mostly RM last season and was fantastic.  He played further up against Legia and was terrible.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Do you mean LM? Because he played mostly RM last season and was fantastic.  He played further up against Legia and was terrible.

I agree he was brilliant at RM at the tail end of last season but this season it appears to me he's having a hard time getting involved. I can't put my finger on why. I could be wrong but the Legia game I'd like to think was a blip given the hostile atmosphere and our severely rotated team. With the right team behind him I imagine giving McGinn the space and the freedom to hustle and make himself a nuisance alongside Watkins might see him shine and get back to imposing himself on games.

We could then either rest Diaby or play him on the right where his pace and dribbling can see him get out of those contested areas that McGinn can't.

19 hours ago, Risso said:

Absolutely horrible as a makeshift left back, what on earth was Emery thinking? 

That Digne has played every game and we didnt really have anybody else to play there. Torres wasnt the answer in pre season

• Like 1

On 24/09/2023 at 22:47, foreveryoung said:

I guess yeah, if the role of a captain is just to play your own game. He's no Roy Keane or even Henderson if you want a bit less, thats for sure.

I for one am glad we dont have a captain like Henderson 

29 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I for one am glad we dont have a captain like Henderson 

I'm not a fan at all, but no doubt he was a proper old skool captain for Liverpool very vocal. McGinn is not captain material, even though you think he woukd be, there's no real leaders, which shows at times.

Emi woukd be the best captain, although I always think it should be an outfield player.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

That Digne has played every game and we didnt really have anybody else to play there. Torres wasnt the answer in pre season

He was more the answer than McGinn was. Maybe we shouldn't have sent every single promising kid out on loan either.

Â