UFC/Pride/MMA

Gabby15

That ferguson despite his loss is one toygh bastard. He tooks some brutal shots and took it. The guy has a chin thats for sure. The fight was awesome.

One thing that puzzled me with all this coronavirus going on was the amount of hand shaking by joe rogan with the fighters. No gloves nothing.

Complete and utter madness

19 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

That ferguson despite his loss is one toygh bastard. He tooks some brutal shots and took it. The guy has a chin thats for sure. The fight was awesome.

One thing that puzzled me with all this coronavirus going on was the amount of hand shaking by joe rogan with the fighters. No gloves nothing.

Complete and utter madness

Still people who don't seem to get it.

UFC were just pushing "everyone is negative". You get negatives all the time from these tests don't you?  

Silly that, yes.

The amount of shots Ferguson took, I can't see him coming back the beast he was. Some fights just finish a fighter, regardless of whether they got KO'd or not. I hope I'm wrong but that was absolutely brutal at times. Seen it plenty of times with fighters who looked like nothing could stop them, big winning streaks, looking like nothing can mess with them and then a brutal fight results in them returning nowhere near the same and getting finished. 

Hope I'm wrong.

• Like 1

If they can get Conor to fight I think he'd get whoever he asked for. Khabib could nix that  though as he's a man who wants competition. He'll be gutted Gaethje beat Ferguson, and will want him next.

Not a big follower of the sport but the whole Conor barking from the sidelines (Twitter) and actually rarely fighting really is boring now. He’s lost about 3 of his last 4 fights hasn’t he?

18 minutes ago, Genie said:

Not a big follower of the sport but the whole Conor barking from the sidelines (Twitter) and actually rarely fighting really is boring now. He’s lost about 3 of his last 4 fights hasn’t he?

The opposite, he lost one of his last 4. You are right on him rarely fighting though, some of it down to a ban. 

Edited by Seat68

9 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

The opposite, he lost one of his last 4. You are right on him rarely fighting though, some of it down to a ban. 

5 fights in over 4 years (losing 2, plus the boxing loss to Mayweather). I guess he’s made his money so why would he fight more (especially as it’ll potentially damage the brand as his marketing is much more successful than his fighting).

The hype around him is just so annoying. “He’s called out x”, “He’s ready to fight”, “his next 3 fights revealed”, “look at what he text to Dana White”... 

Edited by Genie

Same with every fighter... 

Increases the hype, increases the PPV income, which increases his purse, even if it is from people watching in the hope he gets his head caved in

I don't think he does it more than anyone else I just think he's better at it, I also don't think he ducks and dives after calling out like Mayweather or Joshua 

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

Conor for me is pure entertainment. Win or Lose I want to see him fight as he is fun to watch. 

He’s a big draw for sure, engaging people in the sport. 

• Like 1

Thought it was a good card on Saturday night, I honestly don’t mind the lack of crowd, being able to hear the instructions from the corner and the heavy breathing during a clinch is a different aspect.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

I’m not a big follower. Is/was Conor ever any good? Or just all media hype?

Yes, he was very good and won titles at two different weights which not many UFC fighters can claim. So certainly deserves respect as a fighter despite numerous instances of being an idiot outside of the octagon!

He was also impressive (while it lasted) in his last fight but it will be interesting to see how he gets on next time out. If he stays focussed he'll be tough opposition for most at lightweight.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

I’m not a big follower. Is/was Conor ever any good? Or just all media hype?

He's very very good. Or he was, tough to tell right now.

After a successful time in Irish/UK scene, came up through the featherweight UFC division knocking a lot of people out inside the first round. That's a surefire way to get onto big cards.

At a time when UFC were still very much on the periphery of mainstream sports he started wearing swanky suits to press conference where everyone else was in jogging bottoms and playing the part of a pro wrestler. Instead of giving safe, samey answers to routine questions he slated everyone he fought and all the other fighters he was sat next to. Suddenly there was a character to be interested in.

I have no doubt the trash talking used to get in people's heads and they would get so annoyed they tried to hurt him as soon as they could. He's a lethal counter puncher and has a fantastic jaw so this all played into his hands. The pinnacle of this was when he knocked out undefeated Jose Aldo in 13 seconds to win the unified featherweight title. Aldo hadn't lost for 10 years and the build for this fight had been about two years in the making due to McGregor calling him out very early and Aldo picking up a few injuries so the bout got pushed further and further back. Conor spent the whole time hammering Aldo saying he was a pussy and knocking out everyone who he stepped in the octagon with in the mean time.

Obviously, UFC were doing anything they could to build him up as he was drawing so much casual attention, so they rocketed him into the lightweight title picture when he probably didn't really deserve it. Rafael dos Anjos was the lightweight champ and broke his foot in their build-up, cue Conor hammering him again saying everyone is scared of him. It was hilarious, it's basically The Rock's act from 1999, and this was even better because it's real and he kept knocking anyone out who did eventually fight him! If he lost, none of it would have worked.

His confidence was sky-high so foolishly took on the impossible to knockout Nate Diaz at welterweight (a two weight division jump up) as he was the only person willing to replace Dos Anjos who the UFC fancied Conor to beat. McGregor punched him in the face for two and half rounds, Diaz and his rock head were unaffected so continued to press forward and managed to get a submission on him. This would have been a disaster for business I think had McGregor not demanded to fight him again six months later, again at welterweight for silly pride reasons. He punched him in the face for five rounds this time, still couldn't knock him out, and took a decision.

The lightweight title fight was now on and he absolutely took apart Eddie Alvarez who is a hall of fame UFC lightweight in waiting. That's his career highlight for me. Weight class he'd never fought at and he comfortably took apart the champion.

From this point he was multi multi millionaire and lost his mind a bit to all sorts of sinful things. I think he started to believe his own Rock character. He earned $100m to lose an exhibition to Floyd Mayweather and came back to UFC getting taken apart by possibly the best mixed martial artist ever in Khabib Nurmagomedov. In that fight he did win a round and that's probably the only round in his UFC career Khabib hasn't won.

He claims to be back on the straight and narrow now, but it'll be tricky for UFC to protect him so I don't know what the future holds as I'm sure they want to stretch his usage out. No name in featherweight of much interest. He won't beat Khabib at lightweight. Any of the welterweights are too big and will knock his head off, he knows that, won't touch them. His best hope is that Justin Gaethje who just became no 1 contender at lightweight can somehow beat Khabib and then he can have a crack there.

The media hype was all his own creation and lapped up by a public desperate for any sports star who will show personality. It was nothing brand new that hadn't been done before, but so many either can't or won't put themselves out there in that way.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Â