UFC/Pride/MMA

Gabby15

• 2 weeks later...

New years eve MMA in Japan doesn't disappoint. :lol:

Currently watching legend Hideo Tokoro with almost 70 fights to his name taking on 0-0 fighter (Olympic wrestler, but still) Only in Japan

image.thumb.png.72a91381e531424a0b9fae629ee1038c.png

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Genie said:

It’s incredible what Connor has achieve in terms of fame and fortune without actually being especially good at what he does. 

That depends what you mean by 'what he does'. It could be argued that what he does includes creating an entertaining character outside of the ring and maintaining an exciting, marketable and largely effective style in it. In that case he's the best the sport has even seen at what he does.

Even in terms of his MMA achievements he's a hall of famer without any of that being considered. I would say he's a bit like David Beckham in that he's transcended the sport to an extent that has overshadowed the fact that he is actually very talented and has had a great career in terms of sporting achievements.

He's obviously not in the GOAT discussion, not even for just LW or FW, but being the first UFC simultaneous two weight champion alone puts him among the sport's legends.

• Like 3

Something felt off when he was being so friendly with Dustin, The mind games seem to keep him focused and on the ball and throw his opponent off their game. Don’t know where he goes from here, this one again seems pointless when he got beaten so easy, Khabib would be another mauling. There’s some big fights still out there for him but with his attitude and bravado this kind of loss just kills his image, he’s one loss away from completely tarnishing any legacy he has left, I really wouldn’t be surprised if he called it a day now, for real this time.

1 hour ago, YouUnastanFren said:

That depends what you mean by 'what he does'. It could be argued that what he does includes creating an entertaining character outside of the ring and maintaining an exciting, marketable and largely effective style in it. In that case he's the best the sport has even seen at what he does.

Even in terms of his MMA achievements he's a hall of famer without any of that being considered. I would say he's a bit like David Beckham in that he's transcended the sport to an extent that has overshadowed the fact that he is actually very talented and has had a great career in terms of sporting achievements.

He's obviously not in the GOAT discussion, not even for just LW or FW, but being the first UFC simultaneous two weight champion alone puts him among the sport's legends.

This is what I mean, he created something marketing wise much bigger than his achievement in the sport.

I’m not going to pretend I know much about the sport, but he has losses throughout his career. We’re used to these huge profile fighters being pretty much unbeatable but he’s managed to become a household name but fairly beatable too.

Â