World Cup : Round of 16

BOF

6 minutes ago, Xela said:

I assume goalkeepers don't need to stay on their line during penalties anymore?

edit: @penguin mentioned it as well!

That Schöne in particular wasn’t given a mulligan, is somewhat of a minor scandal. 

• Sad 1

Think penalties is more down to the psyche than anything else, anyone can score from the spot in training.

Training penalties (during tournaments) might even have the opposite effect as it puts focus and pressure on it.

Almost all about keeping calm under pressure and having the right mind set.

Edited by sne
  • Like 1

Need to really study which is the favourite side of the opposing keeper to dive.

De Gea in the Russia game dived to his right on all five occasions. So don't make it obvious but hit it firmly to his left as you know with the stats it's not a natural side for him to go to.

There was also a CL final a few years back when Real Madrid players kept on hitting to Oblak's left although he was doing a good impression of a Traffic Cone so didn't really matter in the end.

Never understood why more Goalies don't follow the David Seaman 'rule' on the kickers standing leg/foot generally pointing the way they're going to kick it. I always thought he has/had a really good system there and took away the guess work. Like batsmen 'picking the spinner' in cricket it helps if you know what's coming at you.

7 hours ago, sne said:

Think penalties is more down to the psyche than anything else, anyone can score from the spot in training.

Training penalties (during tournaments) might even have the opposite effect as it puts focus and pressure on it.

I think there are certain things you can do that help, like measuring your run up properly and really practicing it so that you've got plenty of momentum and your landing foot is in the right place every time.  Denmark seemed just to randomly run up.  It's a simple technical test but under obvious pressure, though those keepers were huge compared to someone like De Gea who is tall but relatively skinny.  One of the pens just passed over his hip from what i remember whereas the two last night would have stopped it.

8 hours ago, sne said:

Routine helps in pressure situations too. If these players never shoot penalties in their clubs, they won't have it.

I'm positive every team practices them, it would be silly not to. So no advantage to England from Southgate's drills as such. 

Im still convinced a player at this level should be able to hit an unsaveable penalty (harry kanes 2 vs panama for example)

You then throw in a mix of bottle plus also the gamesmanship and arrogance from both the keeper and the taker meaning that they want to put him on his ass and roll it in the other corner rather than blasting it in to the top one

I love shoot outs

17 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

Routine helps in pressure situations too. If these players never shoot penalties in their clubs, they won't have it.

I'm positive every team practices them, it would be silly not to. So no advantage to England from Southgate's drills as such. 

You've also got to factor in the physical and mental fatigue of playing for 120 minutes and the weight of the nation on you (and the tabloid slating that follows if you miss). Being an English penalty taker in a world cup must be one of the most stressful events in any sport.

9 hours ago, sne said:

This was the excuse for England not practising them for years, while every other country *cough*Germany*cough* did. 

4 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Im still convinced a player at this level should be able to hit an unsaveable penalty (harry kanes 2 vs panama for example).

My Dad was a semi-pro player (admittedly back in the stone age, and at a low level), and he was adamant that no professional footballer should ever miss a penalty. His maxim was "If you hit it hard, it doesn't matter what the goalie does, he won't be able to hold it. Never try to 'place' it". He would have thoroughly approved of Harry Kane's technique. 

• Like 1

The best technique for a penalty is to obviously watch the keeper like Hazard does. It's the hardest to pull off though. Much better than just blasting it.

If players are unable to do that, then blasting it is probably the next best thing.

Edited by PieFacE

I think thats where bottle comes in to it though, that kind of penalty can go horribly wrong if the nerves get to you (im sure benteke has missed a fair few trying to do it) or if like last night the keeper is miles off his line because he comes forward rather than to the one side with his 1st step

11 hours ago, penguin said:

Some shocking pens there. What’s the actual law regarding GKs and staying on the line? Or is it just something no one gives a shit about?

The law is you can’t move off your line until the ball is kicked. So you can dive forward, just not until it’s kicked. 

In reality, most of the time it seems one step forward is usually allowed. 

To be fair they have cut out the days where keepers used to be 5 or 6 yards out by the time a penalty was taken. 

But it’s yet another example of football introducing a rule and then being too scared to actually enforce it. The game is full of these rules that don’t actually get enforced. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, VILLAMARV said:

Never understood why more Goalies don't follow the David Seaman 'rule' on the kickers standing leg/foot generally pointing the way they're going to kick it. I always thought he has/had a really good system there and took away the guess work. Like batsmen 'picking the spinner' in cricket it helps if you know what's coming at you.

Players will disguise it though, i take them for my team if i win them and often shape to go one way and smash it the other. When I’ve missed it’s not because the keeper went the right way ?

Just now, a m ole said:

Players will disguise it though, i take them for my team if i win them and often shape to go one way and smash it the other. When I’ve missed it’s not because the keeper went the right way ?

Aye, it's not an exact science and if, like Seaman, you make it public surely the penalty takers will respond but it's something I think of every time I've watched pens since I saw him talk about it in an interview and purely based on nothing better than observational opinion I reckon the percentages would still be pretty good.

• Like 1

Â