World Cup : Round of 16

BOF

As a keeper in Sunday league I had a lot of success with penalties. If you follow one rule then you’ll do well:

penalty takers seem to think think that goalkeepers are idiots and if they stare at one side of the goal then the keeper will assume that’s where they are putting it. So all I ever used to do is if the taker was staring at one side of the goal, dive the other way. It almost always worked. 

I used to think this was isolated to sunday league. But now that we’re in the HD era with super slow mo replays, it’s clear that a lot of professionals do it. In fact Alan shearer had some sort of penalty masterclass on the BBC and he revealed that tactic as one of his secret techniques. He’d look one way and put the shot the other way. 

So yeah. Keepers should do that. The best thing a taker can do is just look at the ball. Don’t give the keeper any indication. 

• Like 2

Hopefully yesterday was the death of tiki taka for Spain, it was good from 2008-2012, but at this stage they no longer have the players to do, either because their experienced players aren't as good as they used to be (Iniesta, Silva etc) or the next generation simple aren't good enough (Koke, Asensio etc). Koke deserves a special mention for being particularly useless yesterday, one of the worst displays of the entire tournament. 

With a player like Costa they have to go more direct more often, he was making several good runs and never was picked out, then vexingly they took him off, only to play two up front in extra time, why not do that later in the second half? Hierro of course utterly clueless.

• Like 1

My dad was decent keeper back in the day.  He's adamant that you let the player shoot and watch the ball. 

He says you're never going to save a good penalty, but there are so many shit ones that you'll save a couple in 5.  The amount of times keepers dive and the ball goes down the middle is absolutely infuriating to him :lol:  

• Like 2

Since going out 2-0 to Italy in the 2016 Euro's Spain had played 23 games winning 15 and drawing the rest. No loss since 2016.

Then days before the WC some newly appointed desk jockey at their FA decides there is a conflict of interest with Lopategui and sacks him.

One of the worst calls ever.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

My dad was decent keeper back in the day.  He's adamant that you let the player shoot and watch the ball. 

He says you're never going to save a good penalty, but there are so many shit ones that you'll save a couple in 5.  The amount of times keepers dive and the ball goes down the middle is absolutely infuriating to him :lol:  

He’s wrong. 

At the top level, if you just stood there then you might do well for a couple. But then everyone would realise that was what you did and you’d never save another one. 

There isn’t enough time to react and dive to save a penalty 

25 minutes ago, sne said:

Since going out 2-0 to Italy in the 2016 Euro's Spain had played 23 games winning 15 and drawing the rest. No loss since 2016.

Then days before the WC some newly appointed desk jockey at their FA decides there is a conflict of interest with Lopategui and sacks him.

One of the worst calls ever.

He still thinks it was the right thing to do. Man should be sacked

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

The law is you can’t move off your line until the ball is kicked. So you can dive forward, just not until it’s kicked. 

In reality, most of the time it seems one step forward is usually allowed. 

To be fair they have cut out the days where keepers used to be 5 or 6 yards out by the time a penalty was taken. 

But it’s yet another example of football introducing a rule and then being too scared to actually enforce it. The game is full of these rules that don’t actually get enforced. 

Iran keeper had interesting technique, not sure what you make of it Steve?

Stood behind the line so when diving forward he had a tiny bit more time to get to the ball. Saved from Ronaldo.

22 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

He’s wrong. 

At the top level, if you just stood there then you might do well for a couple. But then everyone would realise that was what you did and you’d never save another one. 

There isn’t enough time to react and dive to save a penalty 

Well.. he's not wrong is he?  Not all keepers dive before the ball is kicked like De Gea yesterday, the good ones watch the ball.  

How many penalties go down the middle?  Or aren't in the corner? Loads.  

He coached at a level too, and one of his keepers saved something stupid like 45% of the penalties he faced over a season. 

Pro-keepers may have to switch up tactics, but the onus of a penalty is on the kicker, not the keeper. 

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

My Dad was a semi-pro player (admittedly back in the stone age, and at a low level), and he was adamant that no professional footballer should ever miss a penalty. His maxim was "If you hit it hard, it doesn't matter what the goalie does, he won't be able to hold it. Never try to 'place' it". He would have thoroughly approved of Harry Kane's technique. 

Didn't Harry Kane miss a penalty just a few weeks ago for Spurs?

It's pro sport, basic mistakes just happen. No keeper should let in a daisycutter from 20 yards if they correctly position themselves but Rob Green did. No golfer just miss a 6 foot putt, no Tennis player should miss a volley over the net when it's an open court. Wimbledons and Opens been lost on those sort of mistakes just like World cups and penalties.

52 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Didn't Peter Shilton actually try that in the 1990 semi. Dived the right way on most of them but Germans placed them powerfully in the corners.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Didn't Peter Shilton actually try that in the 1990 semi. Dived the right way on most of them but Germans placed them powerfully in the corners.

If it's against the German national team then you could legally have 11 keepers, a bricklayer and the force field of an imperial destroyer and they'd still **** win. 

#diemanschafftbastards 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

That was a penalty exhibition from Germany, I don't think any technique would have stop those pens. Euro 96 was similar as well.

50 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

It puts more pressure on the taker if he knows the keeper is adopting that strategy too. If he knows the keeper is going to follow the ball they need power and accuracy (not just good luck).

If England are awarded a penalty during the 90 minutes against Colombia it would make sense for someone other than Kane to take it. We know Kane has the balls and quality to hit the corner so he'll go into a shootout quite confident of scoring. After him though.... ????

13 minutes ago, Genie said:

If England are awarded a penalty during the 90 minutes against Colombia it would make sense for someone other than Kane to take it. We know Kane has the balls and quality to hit the corner so he'll go into a shootout quite confident of scoring. After him though.... ????

Wait... what? How does it make sense to let someone other than our best penalty taker take a penalty?

11 minutes ago, MrDuck said:

Wait... what? How does it make sense to let someone other than our best penalty taker take a penalty?

Well this precisely is it. It would depend on the way the game was playing out. Kane will almost certainly take it and based on form will score, lovely. If we get to a shoot out nobody else has the confidence of dispatching one in this tournament so there's a good chance our run of going out on penalties will continue.

Its just me thinking out loud, I don't think it would happen. But if we were 1 or 2 up (dream world) and we got a penalty it might be an idea to let someone else take it with a view to a potential future shoot out.

1 hour ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

That was a penalty exhibition from Germany, I don't think any technique would have stop those pens. Euro 96 was similar as well.

Didn't help that he was about 57 at the time and had the reflexes and spring of a dead horse.

I used to take penalties for my team, I always scored them. I think my record was 12 in 12 and then suddenly didn't score 6 in a row, I have no idea what changed, and once I missed that many I lost confidence in taking them... Strange.

Â