Going Under ?

hippo

24 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

So how close were we to going out of business, in one way or another? Was it a matter of days...hours? It was never totally clear to me.

Just had a quick flick through the “going under” thread. Not gone through all of it, but the bits I’ve revisited I find that it’s surprisingly upbeat, mainly due to the gallows humour. It’s reassuring to know that when staring into the abyss we can still find some levity on here.

Going under thread

I think it got down to a matter of hours. I've a feeling @TrentVilla might have an idea.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, avfcDJ said:

I think it got down to a matter of hours. I've a feeling @TrentVilla might have an idea.

We didn't go into administration - so I don't believe we were that close to going under last summer.

Most likley we would have gone into administration then someone would pick us up on the cheap - and to a greater or lesser extent asset stripped us 

• Like 1

just goes to prove the turn around was quite astronomical.

I don't think the club has been given the true recognition/credit by the media, EFL and other relevant organisations for what has been achieved.

remarkable.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

Unbelievable that we've had the season we had.

Had a brief chat with another bloke dropping their kids off to school and he said well done Villa - first time since the final I was able to look at exactly what has happened with any distance from it - it's a hell of a story in a single season. 

• Like 2

I really hope that if we start our season campaign with a few losses and the players / coaching staff are struggling, that we can all just remember this thread and appreciate where we were as a club and support the team to the max.

It has been a remarkable turnaround to be playing Premier League football next season with the predicament that we were in last summer, fair play to our new owners and everyone else involved.

• Like 3

this season is already legendary for so many reasons. so many emotions, ups and downs. not just usual ups and downs but historically-goddam-critical-to-the-apex-maxed-out ups and downs. going from nearly being sent into administration to a record breaking winning streak and finally promotion after having discussed potential relegation. jesus christ what a season it has been!

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I can give a definitive answer but I’ve good reason to believe it was hours rather than days. A lot of money had to be found very quickly.

Just so I’ve got this right, this point, when it was just a few hours away, was that for the first tax bill that had to have an extension?

3 hours ago, WakefieldVillan said:

I really hope that if we start our season campaign with a few losses and the players / coaching staff are struggling, that we can all just remember this thread and appreciate where we were as a club and support the team to the max.

Yeah this is VT, if a pre season game ends in a draw it will be Smith Out

I could even predict the poster 😂😂

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, hippo said:
  • HMRC threaten us with winding up order for an unpaid tax bill
  • Wyness sacked.

I remember thinking a lower half championship finish, might not be too bad in the circumstances - How times have changed !!

I started a relegation thread which many called embarrassing!!

edit: I regret nothing.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Haha 2

So with regards to winding up and ffp, if a team has cashed in every last dime (I think we were nearly at this point, wasn't Wyness flogging a couple of 3 bed semi's in Erdington that we still probably had from when we gave the players a house to live in? And random shit like a disused quarry?) can a new owner come in and just pay the bill with no qualms? 

5 hours ago, Zatman said:

Yeah this is VT, if a pre season game ends in a draw it will be Smith Out

I could even predict the poster 😂😂

Yep he will lambasted for picking the wrong team and using the wrong tactics 😉 

2 hours ago, VillaJ100 said:

So with regards to winding up and ffp, if a team has cashed in every last dime (I think we were nearly at this point, wasn't Wyness flogging a couple of 3 bed semi's in Erdington that we still probably had from when we gave the players a house to live in? And random shit like a disused quarry?) can a new owner come in and just pay the bill with no qualms? 

Yes.

Not sure about breaching ffp - but last summer things were so dire that breaching ffp compared favourably with some alternative scenarios. !!!!

And now we sit in the premier league wondering if we can tempt tammy abraham for £25m ...if it were a movie you would slate the plot !!!

• Like 1

Villa is just such an amazing club.

Never before would I ever thought that Villa would be on the precipice of destruction, but when it was happening, never would expect such an incredible turnaround.

Many years ago when Villa chose me to be its fan, would I expect to feel so proud. If fate had directed me elsewhere, I don't think I could have felt the same as I do for Villa.

Credit due to the owners, the board, the coaching staff, the players and the fans for not just rescuing the club, but also making us stronger.

Â